Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need plastic surgeon for stitches ASAP (NY)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:05 pm
Our pediatrician recommended a Dr. Kimmel on Prospect Park West. First of all, any reviews on him?

Secondly, we have a medicaid insurance and he doesn't accept that. Is there such a thing as a good plastic surgeon who does accept medicaid insurances?

The cut is about an inch and a half long on the bottom of the chin. Looked quite deep to me, doctors don't seem so fazed but said because it's a baby and near the face, he can do the stitches but if it were his baby he'd want a plastic surgeon. Taped it up to last us through the night and said go to one first thing in the morning.

I am thoroughly traumatized and nervous Sad I am not good at this mommy medical drama stuff

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:10 pm
Dr. Kimmel is great but if he doesn't accept your insurance you will pay a bloody fortune. I know, I did.

Dr. Smith is also great. I believe he accepts most insurance. Call him right away. (718) 608-1111

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:18 pm
You can meet Dr. Kimmel in Maimonides - fast track- he will accept your insurance there.
Dr. Smith is good too.
You can try calling Asisa, Dr. Kessler, I think he does stitches too 718.851.3000
Good luck.

minnie mouse

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:20 pm
Dr. Fleisher. Sorry but I dont have his number.I was told you have up to 24 hrs to stitch. He accepts some insurances. He didnt accept mine and I paid a fortune.

Kaybee

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:22 pm
We met dr Kimmel in Methodist emergency room, he did a great job on the face and it was covered by Medicaid

Kessler is good but hes not a plastic surgeon.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:26 pm
under the chin won't be noticeable ... & the tape is just as good if not better than stitches

of course a dr would use a plastic surgeon ... but the one I know would tell you the same thing that I wrote above

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
You can meet Dr. Kimmel in Maimonides - fast track- he will accept your insurance there.
Dr. Smith is good too.
You can try calling Asisa, Dr. Kessler, I think he does stitches too 718.851.3000
Good luck.
Nope, not in my experience.
I met Dr. Kimmel at Maimo a few years ago so he could remove an earring from dd's ear. He told me over the phone that he accepts my insurance. He didn't. We paid the $50 copay to the hospital. HE billed us SEPARATELY. My insurance company cut us a check for $600 to give him. We had to shell out an additional $1200 in cash on our own. To reamove an EARRING that took 4 SECONDS to remove.
If I would have known it wasn't covered, I would have yanked it out myself.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:02 am
ra_mom wrote:
I met Dr. Kimmel at Maimo a few years ago so he could remove an earring from dd's ear. He told me over the phone that he accepts my insurance. He didn't. We paid the $50 copay to the hospital. HE billed us SEPARATELY. My insurance company cut us a check for $600 to give him. We had to shell out an additional $1200 in cash on our own. To reamove an EARRING that took 4 SECONDS to remove.

Sorry you had such an experience. I am the previous amother, we've -my kids and extended family- used Dr. Kimmel several times on Americhoice. Also, as Hatzolah, my husband recommends Dr. Kimmel quite often, we've never gotten such feedback.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:08 am
amother wrote:
Sorry you had such an experience. I am the previous amother, we've -my kids and extended family- used Dr. Kimmel several times on Americhoice. Also, as Hatzolah, my husband recommends Dr. Kimmel quite often, we've never gotten such feedback.
I do not have Americhoice, I have a private insurance.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:19 am
OP here. I do not have Americhoice, I have a different mediciad insurance. His office does not accept it but I imagine if he is working through a hospital maybe it could be worked out. Any idea how to get to see him in Maimonides or Methodist or anywhere? Amother who mentioned it, what do you mean by Maimonides fast track?

About this Dr. Smith, anyone have a first name or more info? Smith has to be a pretty common name... would like to look him up on my insurance network.

Dr said it needs stitches, not glue. It was too deep for just a bandage to be enough, plus because it is a baby who moves around a lot and in a place that gets moved around a lot, he said only stitches will be secure enough to hold. I'm sure the plastic surgeon will evaluate it himself as well and I will be quite thrilled if he says glue is good enough.

Just to reduce the shock when I get there, what are you out-of-pocket people calling "a fortune?" Confused

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
OP here. I do not have Americhoice, I have a different mediciad insurance. His office does not accept it but I imagine if he is working through a hospital maybe it could be worked out. Any idea how to get to see him in Maimonides or Methodist or anywhere? Amother who mentioned it, what do you mean by Maimonides fast track?

About this Dr. Smith, anyone have a first name or more info? Smith has to be a pretty common name... would like to look him up on my insurance network.

Dr said it needs stitches, not glue. It was too deep for just a bandage to be enough, plus because it is a baby who moves around a lot and in a place that gets moved around a lot, he said only stitches will be secure enough to hold. I'm sure the plastic surgeon will evaluate it himself as well and I will be quite thrilled if he says glue is good enough.

Just to reduce the shock when I get there, what are you out-of-pocket people calling "a fortune?" Confused
Dr. George Philip Smith. He took our insurance and we paid 10% copay. Not bad at all.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:24 am
I know that dr, ghatan does stitches (ocean pkwy) ...he's a dermatologist but does this on a regular basis. If you wait till tomorrow you might have a problem going to a hospital since they say the skin is dried up ..etc.

Queen18

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:34 am
I have no idea is he accepts your insurance but I had two good experiences with Dr. Eric Cha.

Leahh

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:35 am
ra_mom wrote:

I don't know how long ago this was so laws could have changed since then especially now with ObamaCare.
I had an experience, about 3 year ago, in which I needed a plastic surgeon and was told that if the dr meets me in the er my insurance will cover it as an er visit and I won't be billed separately by the dr. I met dr smith in Methodist er then went to his office for a follow up. He did not accept my insurance but it was all covered as an er visit and follow up. I didn't have to pay at all. Could it be that you had a deductible?

momx6

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 3:50 am
Queen18 wrote:
I have no idea is he accepts your insurance but I had two good experiences with Dr. Eric Cha.

Dr. Cha is amazing! He did a great job on my daughters cut by her lip.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:40 am
greenfire wrote:
under the chin won't be noticeable ... & the tape is just as good if not better than stitches

of course a dr would use a plastic surgeon ... but the one I know would tell you the same thing that I wrote above

What makes you say that? "tape" has very specific uses and many limitations. It is NOT good for a deep cut. Or an area that moves a lot.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:39 am
So now my head is spinning and I dunno what to do... I have the 11:30 appointment with Kimmel that last night's PA set up for us, which we'd have to pay out of pocket but said he would make a deal with us around $500. This morning I called my regular pediatrician who recommended a few names including Smith but not including Kimmel. Called Smith first because I recognized from here, he does not take our insurance but would do the stitches for $400 including follow up. I forgot to ask if he is available within the next few hours - Dr said it needs to be done within 18 hours and this happened around 8PM last night so the clock is ticking fast. Then my mother went and got a couple of names from friends, no idea about insurance but one works out of Beth Israel which should be covered, but I don't know who they are - Anyone hear of Slone in Beth Israel or Ari Fleisher in Brooklyn? There are also another few names our pediatrician gave us, one of whom takes all insurances but I don't know anyone with experience with him (Bastidas, anyone?)

I am so stressed about this and don't know where to turn... $500 is not such a small deal to me especially on erev pesach; we're on medicaid for a reason, but I don't want to play games with my baby's face. OTOH maybe the insurance-taking doctors are fine. Help!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:50 am
If dr are fleisher accepts your insurance and is available, run, don't walk. He is supposed to be the best for lacerations on the face.
Refuah shelaima!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:51 am
I don't even know his phone number, let alone what insurances he takes! If he's the best I doubt he's on our network Sad

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:53 am
Funny, I just googled his name and what came up is Arie Fleischer sharing an office same address as Kimmel whom I have a tentative appointment with in 1/2 hour. Is that a good sign? Do good doctors only share offices with good doctors??? But I assume the whole office operates under the same insurance policies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics