Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to get hairlines to look so natural like this picture?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 5:51 pm
I am THE only woman who doesn't wear a sheitel consistently so I have seen what wearing a sheitel does to a woman's hair over time.

I am NOT attempting to be mean, cruel or petty.

I just do not understand how women can look so absolutely fabulous around town and then whip it off for their poor husband to expose their flattened, thinning sometimes graying true hair.

PLEASE explain to me how that how hair that has been suffocated under a sheitel for 8 - 10 hours is supposed to be flattering for ones husband.

I am asking for clarification. I am not mud slinging.

I wear a sheitel every shakos to shul and by the time I come home and take it off my real hair is absolutely pathetic--sweaty mess.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 5:52 pm
oops!!!!
I mean the ONLY woman in my entire family and extended family of origin who does not wear a sheitel consistently.

Not the only woman on the planet.

Sorry ladies.

Happy18

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 5:55 pm
There are two reasons to cover hair ervah and siman. Any ideas about how your hair should be special and beautiful for your husband is not straight halacha and likely someone trying to explain why the halacha exists. I'm sure many kallahs want a reason they should cover their hair, just like they want a reason for hilchos niddah. At leasts thats how I learned it.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:05 pm
I don't find that my hair looks worse after being covered by a wig that it does after being covered by something else. I can't speak for anyone else. But if your hair is yucky and you aren't hopping into the shower, maybe keep it covered? A gorgeous wig should do the trick!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:07 pm
Many poskim hold a sheitel must look like a sheitel. Also there are many who hold it can not go below the shoulders.

CYLOR.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:17 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I am THE only woman who doesn't wear a sheitel consistently so I have seen what wearing a sheitel does to a woman's hair over time.

I just do not understand how women can look so absolutely fabulous around town and then whip it off for their poor husband to expose their flattened, thinning sometimes graying true hair.

PLEASE explain to me how that how hair that has been suffocated under a sheitel for 8 - 10 hours is supposed to be flattering for ones husband.

I wear a sheitel every shakos to shul and by the time I come home and take it off my real hair is absolutely pathetic--sweaty mess.

You are being mean, cruel and petty.
Why does this bother you so much? Do you really feel bad for their "poor husband," as you said in your earlier post?
Do you really not know that there is more to a marriage than a woman's hair?

Do you know that the woman in the picture doesn't wear her wig just once a week like you said you do?
And most women shower at the end of the day and possibly do their hair really se--xy to rectify the injustice done to their poor husbands who have to deal with women who have flat, matted, pinned up, possibly grey hair. (Because only women who cover their hair have thinning, flat, grey hair...)

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:44 pm
ValleyMom wrote:

It could be your sheital or it could be the way you are putting up your hair underneath your sheital or it could just be your hair.

I have a gorgeous head of hair underneath my sheital. I condition it and I keep it colored. When I take my sheital off and comb out my braids, I have a nice wave which is why I was willing to take your bet. My hair underneath my sheital looks every bit as good as Shevy's best albeit not cut as well.

Because I don't uncover my hair, I don't get it cut or colored professionally. My husband doesn't care. I love having nice hair strictly for myself. I wear a sheital only 3 or 4 times a week. My hair is always clean when I put it up and I have a sheital cap which breathes.

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:46 pm
ValleyMom wrote:

It could be your sheital or it could be the way you are putting up your hair underneath your sheital or it could just be your hair.

I have a gorgeous head of hair underneath my sheital. I condition it and I keep it colored. When I take my sheital off and comb out my braids, I have a nice wave which is why I was willing to take your bet. My hair underneath my sheital looks every bit as good as Shevy's best albeit not cut as well.

Because I don't uncover my hair, I don't get it cut or colored professionally. My husband doesn't care. I love having nice hair strictly for myself. I wear a sheital only 3 or 4 times a week. My hair is always clean when I put it up and I have a sheital cap which breathes.

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:06 pm
and some ppl just don't have good hair to begin with.

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:35 pm
I agree with the posters who said that it's weird to cover your hair with something that looks exactly like real hair, not like a wig.

Now, Im sure I would wear a 3000 wig too, if I had the money for something like that... My current wig is pretty natural looking too, though it was more affordable than a Shevy .... although I would not pull my hair out in front like that, because then it's really like What's The Point?.... (I do have a fall wig, and my hair shows in front when I wear it, but only a little).... So yeah, it is kinda weird, in a What's The Point kind of way.... Think of it from the perspective of a non Jewish person... like, what's the point of covering your hair with a wig that looks exactly like hair? it's like the nude pantyhose thing, which I totally don't get (but I wear them anyways cuz apparently it's more tznius... not sure how that works... you can see my legs anyways, right? so can I just take them off so I don't have to sweat in the 90 degree weather...?)

I mean, I get it, we all want to look good, it's a completely normal healthy feeling to have, but I just don't understand it from a halachic perspective.

My friend doesn't usually cover her hair but does cover when at yeshivish events- I told her she should just stick a headband on her hair and tell everyone it's a fall- it looks the same anyways.

So I totally understand where posters like Valleymom are coming from. It's just an odd thing, the whole shaitel-that-looks-exactly-like-hair deal.

monseychick

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:23 pm
There have been numerous threads here about the nude pantyhose thing . Still dont understand it. The whole reason nude p-hose was made is too cover blemishes and make the leg look more alluring.
Non-jewish women in sweat pants, look way more wholesome and modest than Jewish girls in tight short skirts and ultra-sheer hosiery all glammed up.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:26 pm
I think that is jennifer love hewitt. cant imagine why she would be wearing a sheitel. don't think it is a sheitel.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:30 pm
monseychick wrote:
There have been numerous threads here about the nude pantyhose thing . Still dont understand it. The whole reason nude p-hose was made is too cover blemishes and make the leg look more alluring.
Non-jewish women in sweat pants, look way more wholesome and modest than Jewish girls in tight short skirts and ultra-sheer hosiery all glammed up.

What does this have to do with wigs? And why are the two options sweatpants and tight short skirts?

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:48 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
What does this have to do with wigs? And why are the two options sweatpants and tight short skirts?

Shaychus between pantyhose and wigs:

Some chassidish women don't wear wigs, instead they wear a shpitzel with pantyhose tucked underneath

If you refuse to shave your legs and walk outside with nude pantyhose... your legs may look a bit wiggy

If your wig gets snagged in your pantyhose, the hose may run and you may need to pull off your wig and use it to cover your legs, but then everyone will see your hair.. Lose/lose situation

You can wrap a pair of pantyhose over your wig like a headwrap, affordable and hippie chic

Pantyhose makes you shvitz on hot days, and wigs make you shvitz on pantyhose days

The Pantyhose Macher is next door neighbors with the Shaitel Macher

Nude pantyhose seems pointless sometimes, and impossible-to-detect wigs seem pointless sometimes

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:51 pm
Tongue Out

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:54 pm
Tongue Out

(I am sooo tired. Hosted a family for supper who are making Pesach cuz were not making Pesach. My exhaustion makes me kinda wacky)

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:56 pm
Hey, I needed that laugh.

Just reminding you that we're coming for lunch on shabbos. Thanks again.

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:59 pm
LOL mbv Wink

No prob, anytime Cool

I think I should log off and go read a little more of my latest book obsession (My Sisters Keeper) and then go to sleep...

monseychick

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 12:00 am
MaBelleVie wrote:

I was responding to Gold's remark about nude tights ..

gold21

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 12:04 am
monseychick wrote:
I was responding to Gold's remark about nude tights ..

Don't worry, I'm the one who brought up the nude tights. In my mind, there's a definite connection to the topic at hand. However, my mind does not always reflect reality, so who knows. But yes, to my mind, there is a correlation.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics