Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Wakes up when put down for nap

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:30 pm
I usually nurse my 4 month old to sleep, occasionally rock him to sleeo without nursing. I enjoy this arrangement and am not at all interested in "crying it out" or sleep training methods. unless its bed time, when I try to put baby down he wakes up..any tips/advice on how to get him to stay asleep when put down?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:33 pm
If the sleep training method doesn't involved crying it out at all, would you still not be interested? Sometimes it takes a good few steps and perseverance to get healthy sleep habits established.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:38 pm
op here...yes I would be open to hearing about it. =)

hop613

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:49 pm
4 months is a bad time for naps...I would just wait it out another month or two before even trying anything. That being said, it's very normal for a baby who falls asleep nursing/being held to wake up as soon as he/she is put down. If you want to avoid that, you really need to start teaching your baby to fall asleep after being put down. There are ways to do it without crying as pp has said, but it's totally up to you. Many people are fine cuddlng or holding their babies for naps, and they do eventually grow out of it. I like the baby whisperer books for teaching independent sleep without crying.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 3:39 pm
Have you tried swaddling your baby? Sometimes they jerk themselves awake with their own movements, and proper swaddling can help them stay asleep.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 3:51 pm
Put baby down slowly and smoothly, as the "falling sensation" is what often wakes them up. Also, keep a hand on their back or keep your arm around them for another moment before letting go completely, again so they don't feel like they were dropped or that mommy suddenly disappeared. Baby may move around a bit, turn their head or get comfortable, once they're still you slowly pull away. Works for me.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 4:17 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Put baby down slowly and smoothly, as the "falling sensation" is what often wakes them up. Also, keep a hand on their back or keep your arm around them for another moment before letting go completely, again so they don't feel like they were dropped or that mommy suddenly disappeared. Baby may move around a bit, turn their head or get comfortable, once they're still you slowly pull away. Works for me.

Along those lines, the best way to put baby down is turned to his side, not with his back going straight down. Otherwise you trigger the startle reflex. Support the head and body, bring baby down on his side, only then roll to his back if you prefer back to sleep.

acccdac

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 5:40 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

my dh did a better job at it than me because his hands are bigger but he always keeps his hand spread out on the baby's belly, with slight pressure. then he slowly releases his hand
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics