Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Ideas for pre-seder meal
1  2  Next

londoner

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 1:17 am
Baked potatoes and cheese for lunch plus salad.

I'm making lamb stew for the kids for about 5pm (lamb, onion, potato, carrots, celery, parsley, leek etc )

and suddenly thought I'll have a number of hungry adults (one of whom doesn't eat anything that you can taste egg in -kneidels are fine though) who will probably want something between 12.30 and 10pm!

Extend the lamb stew with kneidels or any other ideas? Preferably something easy to cook.

chani8

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 1:37 am
Large batch of scrambled eggs and cottage cheese for bunch.

Italian spiced tomato sauce with ground turkey over klp noodles for late lunch.

freidasima

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 1:57 am
People actually eat lunch erev Pesach? We starve. Big breakfast and during the day some fruit (think: banana, orange, etc.) and go into pesach starving.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 2:04 am
How about some hearty soup, potato and leek (esp if you're using same veggies for lamb stew), parsnip, or butternut squash? You can prepare beforehand and freeze.

Fried or baked fish?

Shakshuka? (You can make the tomato/pepper base in batches, freeze some for later, just drop in eggs).

Baked sweet potatoes?

FS, Lunch/afternoon nosh is really a must here even for adults as yomtov doesn't start till late here, most people don't start sederim before 8pm.

esther malka

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 4:58 am
We made hamburgers that well serve with mashed potatoes for lunch. I also prepared schnitzel and potato kugel for later in the day. All filling, not terribly hard.

rosehill

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 5:17 am
freidasima wrote:
People actually eat lunch erev Pesach? We starve. Big breakfast and during the day some fruit (think: banana, orange, etc.) and go into pesach starving.

That's what we did all the years.
Then we were fortunate enough to spend the first days of Pesach at a hotel, and they served 'kids dinner' at about 6pm. I thought that was brilliant, so I decided to institute 'kids dinner' at my home Pesach this year. I've raised the age to qualify for kids dinner to 70.
I splurged, and bought KLP hot dogs for the occasion (I know, gross), and I'll make some oven fries. No rolls! Paper plates.
I took one course out of the seder dinner to compensate!

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 5:37 am
I am making Shepard's Pie for Monday lunch / supper. Breakfast will be kitniot or the last of the pitot early. Maybe yogurts or something a bit later on if the meat course isn't ready yet. I've also done baked potatoes w/ sour cream & cheese on Seder day.

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 5:48 am
hard boiled eggs and French fries. Yeah, I know they don't really go together - but they're both easy, and stuff my kids like.

Happy18

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 5:52 am
We usually do french fries, potato kugels, and hot dogs.

mommyshani

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 6:34 am
Chicken and potatoes. Easy to make - just put them in a pan, pour some KLP sauce on them, and stick them in the oven, and keeps everyone full (starch and protein) until 12 or whenever we get up to Shulchan Orech

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 6:37 am
Potato salad, deviled eggs, rice with vegetables--if you eat kitniyot.

m+m

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 6:46 am
Whatever is easy!
Tuna
Hard boiled eggs
Salad
Potato salad
baked potatoes

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 7:59 am
I keep potato kugel in the fridge for anyone to grab when they get hungry. I also have hard boiled eggs and cheese. fresh fruit.

I feed the kids at the beginning of the seder. I buy cold cuts for them. they are happy with that.

suzyq

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:02 am
I was going to make a potato kugel and will probably have leftover chicken from shabbos.

Mrs.K

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:06 am
I always make a big pot of fricassee (Just the wings and meatballs). It's perfect for the adults and bigger kids and I put it on the platta before I light for the kids that are falling asleep during magid.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:23 am
I have done
Meatballs and mashed potatoes
Cubed hot dog and potato dish
Beef stew

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:39 am
We have latkes, sweet potato and regular.

black sheep

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 8:41 am
freidasima wrote:

This post made me laugh! This was me growing up. I still feel guilty when I eat on erev pesach.

debsey

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 10:56 am
I make a HUGE pot of mashed potatoes that morning which will be my potato puff/knishes but is also for lunch.
I have a large potato kugel filled with ground beef that I made and froze. Will pop into hot oven at about 4 so kids can eat it at 6
I will also be making some sort of soup that day and will just leave the pot on the stove all day so ppl can come nosh....
But we still feel starving!
debs

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 11:19 am
freidasima wrote:

Yeah, but it's not like you start eating the meal after kiddush.
Kugel, hearty vegetable soup, cake, fruits, vegs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics