Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Non-gebrochters, a question
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:32 am
I had an "argument" with my dh and I want to show him I'm right Twisted Evil . Please let me be right Very Happy .

When you eat matza, are you ever allowed to drink at the same time and do you ever put a spread or anything on the matza? Please say what sect you are from. Thank you.

paprika

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:40 am
You didn't tell us your side of the argument, so I can't really make sure your right. Wink

When the food is in the mouth, broch is not a problem, therefor we put matzoh in the mouth and drink.

Some people put spreads on matzoh. Only those that have no liquid, for example butter or avocado. We don't because the butter can sweat and that is considered liquid.

I'm chassidish.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:41 am
we take a small piece of matza and put spread on it and eat it an repeat. If you put cream chease on an entire matza and then eat it, by the time you are halfway done the matza isn't crunchy anymore. We only used butter and cream chease. American chease doesn't have this problem. This is what I grew up doing.
I am a former boro park girls, bais yaakov graduate.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:41 am
My dh is kind of Satmar, and a little bit Pupa. We don't eat Gebrochts, but I smear butter on my matzah. Dh said some people do and some people don't. It also depends how wet the spread is- sauce would not be okay, but butter is according to some. And yes, I drink while I eat.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:51 am
we dont put anything on the matzah, until the last day of pesach...where we make a point to wet the matzah. so on the last day we have matzah brei/kugels/spreads/kneidelach etc.

we try not to have any liquids on the table while matzah is served, so we serve soup/drinks/etc after we make hamotzi.

we do eat matzah and then drink, I dont think thats an issue.

(were lubavitch)

this is an interesting thread, to hear about other peoples customs...I'd like to hear more Very Happy

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 12:10 pm
the tzelem ruv said that dairy cannot make something gebructs, so we ate matzah cereal, butter, cheese. Also we put stuff on m matzah tuna, egg, whatever, just no matzah in the soup, and no kneidels till the last night. I married a sefardi, now I brok and eat kitniyot.

Applekugel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 12:32 pm
We put butter or cream cheese on the matzoh. We wld also put on hard cheese but not melted cheese. We wldnt dip it in mayonnaise. We also drink while eating matzoh. Once it's in your mouth it cant become gebrokts! We are yeshivish with chassidish minhogim on pesach.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:36 pm
We are chabad. My parents do not let any food near matza ever, except at korach. My husband is a bit more laid back and we spread avocado and butter on matza. (we don't buy dairy products other then milk and cream which we make into butter, otherwise I guess we would have those as well)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 8:00 pm
Once matzo is in your mouth, add whatever you want.

In addition, any liquid from fruit is not considered gebrokts so avocado spread made with fresh squeezed lemon juice (not bottled) can be spread over matzo no problem. Same with milk, so butter can be smeared.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 8:12 pm
Nothing goes near the matzoh. We break off a bite size piece while the matzoh is in a plastic bag. No crumbs may go near the plate.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 8:19 pm
there's lots of extremes & in betweens

so long as no matza crumbs get in your soup or drink - we're fine

we're mutts

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 8:41 pm
paprika wrote:
You didn't tell us your side of the argument, so I can't really make sure your right. Wink .

I lost the argument Sad , but I'll get the next one Very Happy Twisted Evil .

mommyhood

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 8:54 pm
We only put cream cheese on matzo and only right before eating it.
I would take a drink right after eating matzo with some still in my mouth but not if my goal is to taste the matzo with the liquid like taking a sip of soup and putting matzo right in.
We are black hat yeshivish, litvish but with some chassidish minhagim.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:11 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I lost the argument Sad , but I'll get the next one Very Happy Twisted Evil .

inquiring minds still want to know ...

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:15 pm
greenfire wrote:
inquiring minds still want to know ...

I thought no drinks at all when matza is in the area. What do I know What ?

Emily Thorne

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:20 pm
we eat matzo out of a plastic bag and dont smear anything on it

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:23 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I thought no drinks at all when matza is in the area. What do I know What ?

that would be hard considering kiddush & hamotzie

ckk

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 11:08 pm
If u would be talking about chabad youd be very close to being right

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 11:21 pm
ckk wrote:
If u would be talking about chabad youd be very close to being right

nah - there are so many varying lubavitchers from the baggers who take the liquid far far away - to the so long as you don't get crumbs in the soup - to the 'I gotta have that butter on my matzah matzah matzah' - & those that eat it bite by bite with whatever

neveralone

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:50 am
My husband says we can eat the matza with anything as long as it does not contain water
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics