Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Iso no fail sponge cake

mc

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 3:08 pm
Non gebrokts, please.
Mine is hit or miss (baked in bundt/tube pan).. Sometimes half is just one big air bubble, or ends up wiht a thick eggy bottom..

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:47 pm
Its probably not your recipe but your technique. You need to have the egg whites beaten properly -- thick peak but NOT dry. And then you must carefully fold the yolks and whites together so they are fully combined but not deflated.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:48 pm
I hear you mc, I often get that eggy bottom - what do you think I'm doing wrong?

Liba

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:53 pm
eggy bottom is usually because the mixture isn't put into the oven (preheated) right away once it is in the pan. It settles while it is waiting.

The pockets are usually caused by potato starch that didn't get mixed in properly. You have to sift it into the batter while mixing at the same time.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:16 pm
you have to beat the egg whites with sugar & vanilla till they form a peak & then keep on going till they are stiff enough not to fall out of the bowl if you tilt it

very important: then you must 'temper' the yellow part along with whatever ingredients you mixed into it ... with some of the egg white so that it is now somewhat lightweight enough to be folded into the whites without bursting all those tiny little bubbled you just made ...

then baking in a pre-heated oven is preferable but can be forgotten

the main thing is not to jump or keep opening the oven door because that too can make a sponge go kurplunk

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 10:02 pm
greenfire wrote:

the main thing is not to jump or keep opening the oven door because that too can make a sponge go kurplunk

This is also a problem for angel food cakes and chocolate souffles....not that I had that experience or anything nope, not me... ho hum. *nose grows 6 inches like Pinocchio*

Ashrei

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 9:41 pm
thanks for the tips.

when I beat egg whites, often there is still some gloopy egg on the bottom, although the rest seems pretty stiff. what do you think?

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:03 am
Ashrei wrote:
thanks for the tips.

when I beat egg whites, often there is still some gloopy egg on the bottom, although the rest seems pretty stiff. what do you think?

Turn the bowl upside down. If something moves, mix more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics