Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Every time I brush my daughter's hair, so much falls out

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:14 pm
Every time I brush my daughter's hair, if its clean or dirty, so much hair comes out. It makes me nervous. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or if I should even be nervous at all about this? Or hair falling out should not be something to be nervous about. And I dont mean one or two strands. I mean a good chunk where I have to clean out her brush each time.

Any ideas?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 5:52 pm
How old is she?

This may sound funny, but I actually remember this happening to myself when I was a little girl (1st-2nd grade on) - when I was in the shower, or just brushing my hair, what seemed like clumps would just fall out. I freaked out and cried, etc.

To this day, I seem to 'shed' a lot, but you know, my hair has always looked full and lovely (to this day), so whatever's happening, it seems to work out... And all my worrying was for nothing...

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:12 pm
Speak to your pediatrician. she might have alopecia 9its rare) its an auto immune disorder tht affects the hair. what you describe is not really normal. It is worth a visit to the doctor. it might be something else entirely, but check it out.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:14 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Speak to your pediatrician. she might have alopecia 9its rare) its an auto immune disorder tht affects the hair. what you describe is not really normal. It is worth a visit to the doctor. it might be something else entirely, but check it out.
I just looked this up. She does not have bald spots, just a lot of hair coming out of the brush. I guess I can still ask the pediatrician. It cant hurt.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:24 pm
Does she have curly hair? Is her hair usually in a ponytail?

Is it when her hair is wet or dry?

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 10:12 pm
Speak to your pediatrician. You don't mention your daughter's age, but there are a few things that can cause hair loss:
1) Iron deficiency. If your daughter is a fuss bucket of an eater and picks her way around the protein instead of eating it, she might be iron deficient.
2) Vitamin b-12 deficiency - again, if you have a child that refuses to eat a wide variety of foods, it can happen.
3) Skin/scalp related issues: eczema and psoriasis come to mind
4) Alopecia
5) other autoimmune disorders
6) Damage from too-tight pony tails and clips
7) hormones

Bruria

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 10:14 pm
I have a lot of hair, mine falls out a lot too, and a lot more keeps growing!Wink

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 11:05 pm
ppl lose about a 100 hairs a day.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 1:54 am
Try giving her acidophilus. I know of someone that was losing a lot of hair and acidophilus worked. Just try it for a few days. If you don't see results, just stop giving it.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:52 am
If I haven't had a haircut in a while, I lose more hair than usual. My daughter has the same thing. She hates to have her hair cut, always wants it really long, but every time she brushes it or takes a shower, she loses so much hair.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
Try giving her acidophilus. I know of someone that was losing a lot of hair and acidophilus worked. Just try it for a few days. If you don't see results, just stop giving it.

Forgot to mention - acidophilus gets taken on an empty stomach.

umlikeyeah

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 10:15 am
Is she on any medication? My dd is losing her hair too and it may be a side effect of something she is taking for adhd.

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 10:35 am
It can be a number of things. I had it as a girl. Turned out to be the shampoo and conditioner was no good for my hair. I went to a a top hair salon in manhattan to help me figure it out. First they tested my hair for a vitamin deficiency which they said is the most common reason but not by me. Then they made me switch to a diff shampoo a natural one and that did the job
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics