Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach cholent/ kishke question

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 11:03 pm
When I make regular cholent I always use my crock pot. My pesach one is smaller so I was thinking to make it in the oven, but never have before. Can I use a rectangular stainless roasting pan? Or is it too shallow and will dry out? What temp would I leave my oven at? And finally, I was thinking of making a pesadich kishke but I don't want to have to wrap it in foil. If I just plop it on top of my cholent it will kind of "melt" in right? What if I make it in a separate dish, like a cholent kugel? Can that stay in the oven all overnight too without burning? Sorry if these questions sound stupid, just never made a cholent this way.
Oh, also, any interesting addition besides meat, potatoes, onions?

blueberrypie

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 11:15 pm
maybe quinoa instead of barley?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 12:13 am
MiracleMama wrote:
When I make regular cholent I always use my crock pot. My pesach one is smaller so I was thinking to make it in the oven, but never have before. Can I use a rectangular stainless roasting pan? Or is it too shallow and will dry out? What temp would I leave my oven at? And finally, I was thinking of making a pesadich kishke but I don't want to have to wrap it in foil. If I just plop it on top of my cholent it will kind of "melt" in right? What if I make it in a separate dish, like a cholent kugel? Can that stay in the oven all overnight too without burning? Sorry if these questions sound stupid, just never made a cholent this way.
Oh, also, any interesting addition besides meat, potatoes, onions?
Why don't you do a grated potato cholent in your crockpot? You can fill it to the top, do not need room for water, so a small crockpot should work. Comes out great. See realeez's recipe.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....hter=

As for kishka, you can wrap in parchment paper.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 9:45 am
Thanks!

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 9:16 pm
I did the grated potato/ kugel style cholent. Didn't stay together at all, but still got rave reviews. It was such a nice change. My homemade kishke didn't work at all, but that was fine too, melted in like gravy. Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:51 am
At least it tasted good Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics