Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Freezing for next year
1  2  Next

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 3:41 am
Thanks to the wisdom of ladies here, I have been able to buy staples like matza cake meal and matza meal at half price post pesach sales and freeze them in double sealed bags. I freeze nuts, and also butter.

I think I remember that potato starch can last at room temperature.

What else do you save? How do you save it?

LisaS

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 4:46 am
We save spices, coffee and tea.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 4:53 am
I save Pesach things that we won't eat during the year but not on purpose. I buy those awful potato starch noodles. Didn't use them this year but there's no way I'll use them during the year so I just put them away with the Pesach stuff - Next year with all that Chol Hamoed I'll probably want them for a quickie lunch with melted cheese or sauce (almost edible). Cake meal too since I found a better chocolate chip cookie recipe so didn't use it and I don't want it during the year. Baking paper since I think the paper during the year is coated and doesn't burn as easy so I put away the extra. Some spices.

But I don't buy extra for next year so this doesn't answer your question

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:16 am
LisaS wrote:
We save spices, coffee and tea.
Do you keep these in the freezer? Or just in the cabinet?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:20 am
Salt and sugar save well. Make sure the sugar is well sealed. I put it in a bag in a tupperware container so it doesn't get rock solid or eaten by uninvited little visitors. Oils save well too if they will still be within their expiration date and you have a cool dark place to save them.

abound

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 5:44 am
Oil should not be a problem. Someone just told me that potato starch is even better if it is older. She just made cakes this year from last years potato starch and it was great.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 6:22 am
I have a drawer in my deep freezer in which I save matzo meal and potato starch.
I have a closet shelf in my pesach closet in which I save closed sealed spices (make sure expiration date is more than march 2015) baking powder, baking soda, salt, kashering salt, tuna fish cans, liquid soap, liquid toothpaste and mouthwash, two tubes of regular closed toothpaste still in boxes and that's it.

I've learned not to save anything that could spoil or bring bugs during the year. That includes sugar, various fermented things in cans, and even the long term sealed crush tomatoes etc. B"h I live in EY where it is possible to get this stuff before Pesach every year if I need it so...

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 7:14 am
Most the things mentioned I use all year and replace many times - sugar? salt? baking powder? baking soda, toothpaste, coffee, tea, crushed tomatoes... We don't eat only Shmura matza so the matza meal is used all year (I make matza balls all the time), I use canola oil on Pesach which is what I use all year. Spices, I replace many times during the year...

Oh - I also save the cooking spray cause I got it from the states but I hear you can get it in Israel now but it's more expensive so I'll save that. I also have my Pesach havdalla candle and toothpicks but I think that's really it

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 7:17 am
I have a sealed bag with whole almonds how can I preserve it for next year?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 7:23 am
sleepwalking wrote:
I have a sealed bag with whole almonds how can I preserve it for next year?
put it in a bag in the freezer. Nuts spoil pretty quickly at room temperature.

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 7:26 am
Liba wrote:
put it in a bag in the freezer. Nuts spoil pretty quickly at room temperature.

Thanks will it stay edible till next year?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:44 am
No extra freezer space here, but I kept potato starch from last year in a closet and it was fine, as was a container of salt. An unopened box of matzo lost its crispness. I find that herbs and spices are much better fresh, and Pesach is an opportune time to replace old packages.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:48 am
How about xylitol?

(I have an opened pkg)

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:56 am
freezer energy and space costs money too. Is it really worth it? I have a bunch of klp nuts but I think we will just use them up now. Sugar too. But my local discount supermarket sells klp sugar all year round really cheaply.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:59 am
sleepwalking wrote:
Thanks will it stay edible till next year?
frozen they should.

Chanel

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 10:03 am
What about freezing apple and pear compote? Chicken soup? Chrein? Steak?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 10:05 am
Chanel wrote:
What about freezing apple and pear compote? Chicken soup? Chrein? Steak?

don't.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 10:09 am
I always freeze chicken soup. But not for a year.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 11:30 am
Pineapple, I saved a sealed half package of klp xylitol last year (it cost $38! IIRC) and used it this year without any trouble.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 11:37 am
you have to look at what is cost effective

nuts you can eat all year long & are the same price regardless

potato starch no matter the cost - what will you use if for if not next year's cake ... pesach baking powder I have saved & used - & things seem fine - but it was a cold cold winter

raspberry syrup lasts forever

spices lose potency

matzoh will get buggy & I don't get that much to begin with

so you have to know your house - your needs

I've saved ketchup layered in bags at the back of the fridge because it sucks to buy a bottle & use it once a year for one person ... yeah nobody used it even miss ketchup herself [till today] I think I'm trashing it - says it expires in june 2011

meats & things in the freezer will certainly not last 6 months let alone a year ... even in a deep freeze - and how does that save money - a cow is a cow is a chicken MOO !!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics