Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Magnatiles- yay or nay?
1  2  Next

SS6099

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:23 pm
DS loves clics, knex, etc... I splurged on a set of 150 magnatiles and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it. Is it a worthwhile toy or should I use that $ for say 2 smaller toys such as a playsticks set of 500 plus another toy?
Any suggestions or opinions?
Thanks.

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:29 pm
SS6099 wrote:
DS loves clics, knex, etc... I splurged on a set of 150 magnatiles and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it. Is it a worthwhile toy or should I use that $ for say 2 smaller toys such as a playsticks set of 500 plus another toy?
Any suggestions or opinions?
Thanks.

I don't have an answer for you but I think it would be helpful to those who may have an answer if you stated your child or children's age.

boysrus

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:30 pm
we do not have maganatiles, but my ds aged 3.5 loves them and whenever we play in a house where they have tehm, he makes a beeline for hte magnatiles. they seeem to have great play value in my opinion. I say hold onto them.

Emily2846

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:37 pm
I have magformers. Personally I think its better.

busydev

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:38 pm
we got magsnaps and broke them out over pesach. ds and my nephews had a great time with them. (ages 1-6)

chanar

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:43 pm
I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old boy. I've had magnatiles for close to 2 years now. I already bought our third set (was a crazy sale!) and have it packed away for a rainy day! There is no other toy in my house that is so well used. The kids absolutely love them. Any friends that come go straight for them. They are easy to store, easy for the kids to pack away, and the kids use such incredible imagination when playing with them. It's a wonderful toy and I can't recommend highly enough!

justmarried

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:45 pm
I got a set of magnatiles for my kids a little over a year ago (ages 2 and 4.5). They played with it so much that we ended up getting them a second set of 100 pieces for chanukah this year. However, just like with many other toys, after playing with it for so long they got bored of it. So right now it's packed away in the back of the closet. But I"yh in a few weeks I will take it out again.

I would recommend you buy the original magnatiles and not the other store knock off. When I bought the second set of magnatiles, I thought I could get away with the cheaper set. However, I could tell right away that they weren't as strong as the original and returned it the next day. The one major flaw of magnatiles is that the structures tend to collapse pretty easily. So it was a big deal that the other brands were less strong.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:47 pm
I gotta say - I watch kids playing with them & I've been wondering what they were ...

I know I'd like to play too

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 8:47 pm
My kids love it. They play with it on friday nights along with the mitzvah kinder almost every week. I must say that I got an extra set of squares and that really adds to it.

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:05 pm
I bought magna tiles for my twin 4 yr old boys on Sunday erev yom tov. I barely heard from them and my 5 year old nephew a whole yom tov except to fight over it

dalia1

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:16 pm
We love them so much, we have four sets! My kids are obsessed...on pesach, during magid I had them go and build pyramids when they got bored. I love them because they survive my children! My kids that play with them are 9 and younger...but occasionally I catch my 14 year old building something.

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:20 pm
Best toy in the house, from age 2-12. Best part is, they're easy to clean up!

mommy9

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:22 pm
My kids love them-all ages! I never had a toy that they stayed interested so long

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:23 pm
what age would you say is the youngest?

mommy9

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:26 pm
My 22 month old plays with them all day . He didn't touch any other toys a whole pesach

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:28 pm
mommy9 wrote:
My 22 month old plays with them all day . He didn't touch any other toys a whole pesach

Thanx my son is 18 months old. Was planning to get them eventually just wondering when...... like to wait till 2 or 3 etc.

busydev

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:39 pm
well, my 7mo chewed them, banged them and threw them. Wink
for sure by 2 most kids should be able to play with them, tho a 2yo will use them differently then a 5yo.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:54 pm
We don't own them but my kids love them at school and whenever we visit people who have them. On visits, they come out for the preschool age set and everyone else ends up playing with them - even the 1 year olds. But I wouldn't buy them for only a 1 year old because it will be much more exciting for them to receive as a new toy later on. They are super duper popular. I tend to borrow them from my school's kindergarten when I'm teaching my middle schoolers 3D geometry, which has been a hit Wink

I've heard mixed reviews on the strength of knockoff brands - one was good, some were not? But even the originals aren't indestructible. Would be nice to hear more about how they compare.

Get at least 100 pieces, especially if you have more than one kid playing at a time.

momx6

Post Wed, Apr 23 2014, 9:59 pm
I bought playmags for my kids on chanukah. They are really amazing. They are able to build very nicely. So far none have broken. I have 2 sets + I bought the train set from Amazon. My kids are ages 4-9 but my 11 year old will sometimes play with it. You really need a lot of pieces!

SS6099

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 3:23 am
Seems like kids live them! I forgot to write DS's age... He's 8. Would that be a game changer?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics