Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Expensive shoes

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:34 pm
Are expensive shoes really worth it? Mens? Womens? Do they really last longer? heels? soles?
Thanks

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:46 pm
What do you mean by expensive?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 12:15 am
Depends on the shoe. Some do, some don't. Sometimes price comes with quality, and sometimes you're just paying for the brand or style.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 12:18 am
Stuart weitzman - def comfy and last for years so if you have the $ $$ I'd say it's worth it.

Hatemywig

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 12:23 am
Are you referring to fashionable, trendy and hip makes or comfortable, reputable makes?

It really varies.

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 1:03 am
Not sure what you mean by "expensive."

I like comfortable shoes, so I'll use those as an example.

For the most part, a pair of heels from say Naturalizer (~US$70-100) will be more comfortable than a 1-season $30 purchase from Payless.

Are $400 Manolo Blahnik pumps worth it? What about $1000 Christian Loubitons? I seriously doubt it.

Then again, I hate heels.

Theer was a Consumer Reports study where they examined the materials used in pricey vs mid-range vs cheap pumps. Price didn't always translate into comfort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z985rAMvKKI

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 9:21 am
I have Ferragamos for over 10 years, but I am very good to my shoes and take them regularly to the shoe maker so that they never get worn out. I buy them because they come in triple & quadruple narrow.

Shoes like Vaneli are not worth the investment of going to the shoe maker because after a season they look like garbage and the style is out without a name.

If you easily ruin shoes, have a hard step, etc. I would say expensive shoes MAY not be for you. In today's days few people value the classy, exquisite look of shoes like Stuart Weitzman, Ferragamo, etc. They may like them because they are "expensive," (ridiculous reason to like something), but since it is such a normal thing to purchase knock off shoes like Vaneli, I am not sure if expensive shoes are worth the investment to all (and with cheaper shoes you can replace them/buy new ones/new styles/etc.)

happymom4

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 10:04 am
Expensive is very relative.... Most shoes get worn out/go out of style/ I get sick of them soon enough.
I wouldn't want the guilt of throwing out shoes that cost almost as much as my monthly mortgage payment Smile
Unless you feel the need desperately...stick with what is comfortable for your budget....

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 10:21 am
well made good quality shoes are worth the price ... but then again you can find anything on sale ...

I once bought a pair of munro leather shoe/boots - normally $95 for only $10 - clearance she'b'clearance

are payless shoes less worthy - mostly because they're not made of leather & they will not have the comfort or long lasting wearability that other shoes might have

which brings me to a spinoff - why people buy faux leather materials with fancy names and their prices to match ...

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 11:23 pm
Honestly I don't know but there is a reason expensive shoes are expensive.

$1000 stunning leather Louboutins are definitely made with way better materials than $30 payless plastic.
(I am a shoe-a-holic and I admit it).

Frenchfry

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 11:34 pm
I don't spend on shoes, but I do find that if I buy god Italian made school shoes for my kids, they last 6-8 months if I get them with some room for growth. If I buy the cheaper ones, they wear out quicker.

That being said, for shabbos shoes, I buy walmart or payless. Once a week can't justify upwards of 70 or 80 bucks

miami85

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 11:52 pm
So for my husband he's been having a hard time finding all-purpose (dressy/everyday) shoes that last him more than 2 months (heels and soles wear away, even with taps). Any recommendations? He likes them to be comfortable

For me my shoes rarely cost more than $50, but I got a gift card for Zappos.com, but it's only $25. Most of their shoes are at least $60 whereas I usually shop DSW and get shoes for $40-$50. Are Zappos shoes more worth it?

papermageling

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 12:02 am
I spend a decent amount of my everyday shoes. I bought a pair of Naot shoes for around $200, and the shape is absolutely perfect for my feet, and they're wonderful. I'm looking to replace them now, four years later, because I've worn them out enough that they're not great for long walks. They're still usable for other things though.

That said, I've seen a lot of expensive shoes that just aren't really very nice. For the shape of my feet, I like Naot, Miz Mooz, and Born, and all of those brands are quality. But not all pricier shoes are better quality, sometimes they just have an expensive name.

Last edited by papermageling on Sun, Apr 27 2014, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 12:05 am
For men I find it is totally different since they wear their shoes all the time as oppose to most ladies who have a few different pairs that they alternate between.

My dh buys echo or clarks shoes for weekdays and they wear out within 2-3 months. But he wears them every. single. day. Aside for shabbos. His shabbos shoes are dressy shoes and last a bit longer, say 4-6 months but they are not as strong as the weekday shoes.

For a man I would definitely go with the expensive kind for that reason since cheaper will just wear out faster. From experience, the shoes dh bought in dsw and century (even the good brands) wore out much faster than the good expensive ones from proper shoe stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars