Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Can I freeze healthy lunch bowls? (rice, sweet potato, etc.)

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:49 pm
I would like to know whether I can do the following and end up with a good, high quality product.
Recognizing, of course, that frozen foods are not as great as freshly cooked and served, I know that I cannot consistently eat healthily every day unless I pre-cook and freeze my lunches.

I've seen people eating these amazingly healthy 'dragon bowls' and 'bliss bowls' for lunch, and I'd like to try and pre-cook and freeze as many of the ingredients as possible, that way I cut down my work time in the mornings (or late at night).

Most of the bowls contain brown rice, roasted sweet potato, sauteed spinach/kale, nuts, tofu or salmon, etc.

Do you think that I could pre-cook and then freeze containers of:
brown rice, roasted sweet potato chunks, sauteed spinach and some nuts?

Would that work? In the mornings I could just toss in a hard boiled egg, some salmon, tofu, or whatever else I want. I could also throw in some raw veggies, too.

Do you think that would work?

mom4many

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:43 pm
Sure why not. Maybe you'll prefer bagging the nuts separately, so they'll be crispier.
Make a double or triple batch for starters & see how you like the taste. Don't do x20 first time!
Good for you!!!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:46 pm
Make sure you have good quality air tight containers to minimize freezer burn/taste.
Enjoy!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 2:05 pm
Maybe you should try cooking up a big batch on Sundays and leaving it in the fridge. It will keep for the week, and won't take on the soggy texture that defrosted rice and potatoes sometimes get.

You may also want to look into a thermos to keep food warm until lunchtime. I bought DH something like this to take a hot lunch to the office and a smaller version for DD to take to school (with microwavable insert - see here).

Kudos to you for striving to eat healthy lunches (says I as I snack on leftover macaroons from Pesach).

spinkles

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 3:51 pm
You can freeze a lot of grains. Brown rice, kasha, bulgur, etc. freeze well. Quinoa does NOT freeze well.

Sauteed spinach and roasted sweet potatoes do not freeze well.

I bake a whole bunch of sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week and use them throughout the week.

I also check a lot of greens like spinach and kale at the beginning of the week and keep them in ziplocks.

You can freeze individual bowls of brown rice and other grains. Then warm them up in the morning before work, throw in chickpeas or black beans, spinach, kale, sweet potato, and some chopped up other veg (whatever you have leftover from supper). I like to use avocado as a "dressing." Add some seasoned salt and Mrs. Dash.

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 4:21 pm
Thanks!! Can you tell me what happens to sweet potato and spinach when frozen?

spinkles

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 7:36 pm
The spinach is worse than the sweet potato. It's slimy and gross.

The sweet potatoes are mushy and weird textured. Fresh is so much better.

Capitalchick

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 5:26 am
I just wanted to follow up and say that I froze some of my lunch bowls and the results were great! Roasted sweet potatoes and steamed spinach turned out just fine when thawed!!

Thanks everyone!

Happy18

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:43 am
Can you share exactly how you did it?

Capitalchick

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 9:49 am
I used my rice cooker to cook a batch of brown rice (careful, not too soggy!).
Then I used a pot and steamer to steam the greens (spinach and kale).
And I roasted small chunks of sweet potato until soft (skin on).
Finally, I made a tehina-based sesame sauce.

I used plastic containers. I put a layer of rice on the bottom, and then put sections of greens and sweet potato on top. Then I spooned some sauce over top. I didn't fill the container because my plan was to add some fresh veggies and protein once my lunches were thawed and ready to eat. I would thaw my lunch in the morning, and it would be about 70% thawed by lunch. I'd transfer it all onto a plate and microwave it for a few minutes.

Perfect!

mom4many

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:35 pm
Amazing! Thanks for sharing - hope I will do the same (someday) :-)

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:17 am
I never heard the concept of dragon bowls before, but I have been doing is cooking and freezing things for a big salad for lunch. And/or preparing other things in the beginning of the week for the rest of the week. It takes less than 5 minutes to put together.

My typical lunch salad:
romaine lettuce
cooked quinoa
sauteed mushrooms and onions (a little PAM, no oil)
grilled eggplant cubes (I sometimes do red pepper or zucchini too)
grilled chicken cubes
cubed fruit - mango, mandarin oranges, or persimmon
oil and vinegar dressing

lettuce - wash and check in the beginning of the week for the rest of the week
quinoa - cook and freeze in small baggies
sauteed and grilled veggies - prepare in the beginning of the week
grilled chicken - grill and freeze in small portions
fruit - prepare in the beginning of the week or use canned
dressing - prepare a huge batch every couple of weeks. (I do the typical oil, vinegar, sweetener, water, and spices)

kalsee

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 4:39 am
Capitalchick wrote:
I used my rice cooker to cook a batch of brown rice (careful, not too soggy!).
Then I used a pot and steamer to steam the greens (spinach and kale).
And I roasted small chunks of sweet potato until soft (skin on).
Finally, I made a tehina-based sesame sauce.

I used plastic containers. I put a layer of rice on the bottom, and then put sections of greens and sweet potato on top. Then I spooned some sauce over top. I didn't fill the container because my plan was to add some fresh veggies and protein once my lunches were thawed and ready to eat. I would thaw my lunch in the morning, and it would be about 70% thawed by lunch. I'd transfer it all onto a plate and microwave it for a few minutes.

Perfect!

The microwave is probably why the food's texture came out okay, IME.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking