Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Chickpea salad

abaker

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 1:34 pm
I made this delicious recipe last shabbos but I dont have peppers or baby corn in the house...what can I make instead?

1 can chickpeas
1 can baby corn, cut in small pieces
2 big tomatoes diced
1 purple onion diced
pickles diced (I used three handfuls of the pickle chips)
olive oil, drizzled
salt & pepper to taste

also I have a bag of shredded cabbage...dont want to make a typical mayo coleslaw out of it...I've done an asian peanut version before but also looking for something different?

any ideas!?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 3:57 pm
abaker wrote:
I made this delicious recipe last shabbos but I dont have peppers or baby corn in the house...what can I make instead?

1 can chickpeas
1 can baby corn, cut in small pieces
2 big tomatoes diced
1 purple onion diced
pickles diced (I used three handfuls of the pickle chips)
olive oil, drizzled
salt & pepper to taste

also I have a bag of shredded cabbage...dont want to make a typical mayo coleslaw out of it...I've done an asian peanut version before but also looking for something different?

any ideas!?
No peppers needed for this salad Smile
Baby corn adds a really nice touch but you can omit. Just season the salad well.

You can make this with your shredded cabbage.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....monds

abaker

Post Sat, May 03 2014, 10:54 pm
thanks ra_mom! I saw this after I made my salads...but put the cabbage one in my recipe box for another time iyh

heres what I ended up doing with the chickpeas: I generously spiced them with cumin, paprika,curry,chilli powder, and black pepper and a sprinkle of salt and dried chives. then added lemon juice and mixed really well. they were a hit! the coleslaw I made the usual way, but that was also gone before shabbos even ended Very Happy

Frumdoc

Post Sat, May 03 2014, 11:01 pm
Too late for shabbos, but I made up a salad this week, and it was great.

can of chickpeas drained well, tossed lightly with oil, cayenne pepper, salt and garlic powder and roasted in oven for 20 mins.
Cubed sweet potato, similar spices as chickpeas, roasted in oven until dried out and slightly darker than when in the tin.
cubed aubergine and red onion, also roasted on same tray until nicely crisp.
Dried cranberries, small handful
sesame seeds

shredded sweetheart cabbage, added the roasted veg, after cooling them overnight in fridge (only because I made them the day before, not necessary to keep overnight), and other components. Tossed very lightly with asian style vinaigrette, just before serving to prevent sogginess, ( rice vinegar, olive oil, few drops of soy sauce, few drops of sesame oil, dill and salt, pepper).

Completely delicious, enjooyed by all and had to mix a second batch up for melave malka, luckily saved some veg back from the first batch as I didn't know if it would work.

We often have roasted spiced chickpeas for a snack or to toss into a quick salad, they are the best use of tinned chickpeas I have found and are so quick, just two minute prep and then in the oven for 20 mins while baking something else, I can snack on them all day! Highly recommend Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics