Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
"Jewish" dessert???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 11:24 am
Compote is like mashed apple.

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 11:24 am
Op here,
Thanks for all your responses. I think I'll go with rugelach. Its something I can buy Wink

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 11:31 am
If this were for Pesach, you could always do the ubiquitous flourless chocolate torte that every secular women's and food magazine seems to do, without fail.

May I suggest that whatever you go with, and you're leaning towards rugelach, get really good rugelach, so a favorable taam will remain.

suzyq

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 11:36 am
Jewish Apple Cake Smile

zaq

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 7:19 pm
My "immediate reaction" was Pomegranate...though figs and dates qualify as well. These are, arguably, the first and original Jewish desserts...although milk and honey run neck-and-neck with these.

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 7:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

May I suggest that whatever you go with, and you're leaning towards rugelach, get really good rugelach, so a favorable taam will remain.

Of course! How does reismans or green's rugelach sound to you?

maliza

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:26 pm
There doesn't really seem to be an exclusively Jewish dessert, but how about pareve ice cream? I would say that Jewish people who keep kosher (or observe Torah laws) will not eat meat and milk at the same meal, just as the Torah teaches us -- no matter which part of the world Jews live in -- but we can still have our ice cream!

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:31 pm
maliza wrote:
There doesn't really seem to be an exclusively Jewish dessert, but how about pareve ice cream? I would say that Jewish people who keep kosher (or observe Torah laws) will not eat meat and milk at the same meal, just as the Torah teaches us -- no matter which part of the world Jews live in -- but we can still have our ice cream!

interesting...
Don't forget this is a public school classroom...

cbg

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:31 pm
A very sweet lurks hen kugel. Yum.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:

Wonderful. But no thanks. Have to take a rain check as the caffeine will keep me up.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:50 pm
cbg wrote:
A very sweet lurks hen kugel. Yum.

Has anyone started a spell check thread? (If someone has or does, please folks, make sure the poster will take it in the spirit intended.)

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:58 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Wonderful. But no thanks. Have to take a rain check as the caffeine will keep me up.
I'm confused Confused What caffeine?

d l

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:05 pm
There is this amazing kishke dessert that would go perfectly with the theme! It's a sweet deep fried kishke- you serve it warm paired with vanilla ice cream (pareve) and it's so Jewish and you can explain the history of kishke, how it used to be meat stuffed into a real intestine... Mmm... So delicious... Let me know if you try it, you won't be disappointed, it's a real old time shtetl delicacy.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
I'm confused Confused What caffeine?

From the rugelach filling. Unless they're cinnamon.

amother

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:23 pm
d l wrote:
There is this amazing kishke dessert that would go perfectly with the theme! It's a sweet deep fried kishke- you serve it warm paired with vanilla ice cream (pareve) and it's so Jewish and you can explain the history of kishke, how it used to be meat stuffed into a real intestine... Mmm... So delicious... Let me know if you try it, you won't be disappointed, it's a real old time shtetl delicacy.

Oh gosh! That sounds a bit much! Interesting but kinda weird. Rugelach sounds more convenient! (and yummy)

amother

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
From the rugelach filling. Unless they're cinnamon.

You must be very sensitive to caffeine if the chocolate bothers you!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:24 pm
d l wrote:

I think we should start a thread for kosher state fair recipes ;-)

momx6

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think we should start a thread for kosher state fair recipes ;-)

Great idea! Yum!

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:24 am
amother wrote:

PinkFridge wrote:

greenfire's would be the better choice & we can certainly wait for breakfast with some cafe con leche coffee

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:18 am
Great idea greenfire! Can you ship it to New York? Looking forward...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics