Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Hamburgers for Shabbat?

chaos

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:03 pm
Doing a casual, bbq-theme Shabbat dinner this week to celebrate the recent warm weather. The guests are super casual and they will love the theme and the menu so I'm not worried about hamburgers being fancy enough. I am concerned that they might not taste good not being served straight off the grill. I'll have them on covered on the hot plate until dinner but I don't know. Thoughts? Ideas?

mille

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:59 pm
Don't cook them to well done. Cook them to medium, and they'll cook a bit more in the residual heat after they are taken off the grill. Also, don't push down on the burgers with a spatula when you are cooking them, it'll squeeze all the moisture out! Finally... 80%/20% beef, not 85%/15%. You want that extra fattiness to keep them juicy.

I think they'll be ok as long as you don't start the meal significantly after you grill them.

rachel6543

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:57 pm
You can defiantly serve burgers for Shabbat. I haven't done it, but I once had lunch at a friends on Shabbat and she made mini burgers (I think they're called sliders?). They were delicious!! Sorry don't have a recipe

Eemaof3

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:30 pm
Can I come?? Sounds like a perfect Shabbat to me!

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 8:49 am
I just did this last week ... you don't overcook them & leave them in barbeque sauce on the blech ... & make sure to have a case if beer

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:07 am
I've done this. They are very good for Friday night, but only mediocre for Shabbat lunch: a night of refrigeration and a slow warm on the blech ruins both flavor and texture.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:13 am
We've done sliders on Yom Tov when there was less off an issue with cooking the liquid. Friday night shouldn't be a problem if you leave them in a sauce from before candle-lighting but rewarming Shabbos Day might only be possible if they are dry, and then they will probably be too dry.
Maybe put them on top of the chulent at the risk of them absorbing a 'chulent taste'?
I like the idea of sliders for a Shabbos day dish, would like to hear a solution as well.

smiledr

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:09 am
I love this idea - served w a platter of red onions and tomatoes, cole slaw, potato and pasta salads - who wouldn't love this??!

chaos

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 12:53 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I could give a report of how they came out, but I wound up doing bbq chicken instead, which came out well. I'm filing Shabbat dinner hamburgers for another meal though. I like the idea of keeping them in a little bbq sauce on the blech before candlelighting. Really appreciate the tips
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus