Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Best double for stairs?

Teacup9

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 12:20 pm
I am looking for a double stroller that can bump up and down stairs with two kids in it, fairly well. Preferably something I can find used on Craig's List.

I also prefer target air or air like tried because where I live we have hills and uneven sidewalk, but typically I find those types of wheels are best for starts anyway.

I also REALLY like to push the stroller one handed.

I've been told to look into the Mountain Buggy Duet and the City Mini GT.

I had a Phil and Ted that did all those things plus had the advantage of being narrow, but it fell apart. I'd consider a newer one or the Vibe model though, I would love it if the second baby wasn't so low down.

I thought I wanted a City Select, but it seems very long front to back and toddlers look big in it. I have a baby and a toddler now, but I like a stroller that works at least from 4 months to 3.5 years.

I also like the Britax B series with the kids front to back, but I'm worried it isn't good at stairs either.

Anyway advice? Thanks in advance.

musicmom

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 12:24 pm
Maybe the Valco twin trimode ex? I just got mine on Craigslist and LOVE it. It fits through EVERY doorway and you can buy an additional third seat that goes on top between the two and a boogie board, so it can technically hold up to 4 kids but it is not huge, has air tires... It's great!

groovy1224

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 1:20 pm
It's virtually impossible to bump a front to back double down the stairs, unless you have superhuman strength. Since you liked how narrow your first stroller was, the mountain buggy is a good bet for you because it's a very narrow side by side. But the City Mini has a much easier and more compact fold. Make a list of you priorities in a stoller: I.e., narrow, lightweight, easy fold, etc. and match it to the features of the diff strollers. All the ones you mentioned are good strollers, so you'll probably be happy with any of them ultimately.

Teacup9

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 2:29 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
It's virtually impossible to bump a front to back double down the stairs, unless you have superhuman strength. Since you liked how narrow your first stroller was, the mountain buggy is a good bet for you because it's a very narrow side by side. But the City Mini has a much easier and more compact fold. Make a list of you priorities in a stoller: I.e., narrow, lightweight, easy fold, etc. and match it to the features of the diff strollers. All the ones you mentioned are good strollers, so you'll probably be happy with any of them ultimately.

I've heard that before, but never from someone who has a Phil and Ted. Maybe I should just stick with that because stairs are so important. Stairs and one hand pushing on bumpy sidewalks. I have a twin Maclaren for the car. However I have never tried to bump anything but the PHil and Ted or the Maclaren up the stairs and down and the single Maclaren is okay, the Phil and Ted is pretty good, but I can't imagine the side by sides being easy to push one handed or getting up lots of stairs - but I haven't tried them so maybe I am wrong.

I feel a little silly stalking the sidewalk from my porch and requesting that various stroller users passing by let me attempt my steps with their strollers....but maybe it is the only way?

Teacup9

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 2:33 pm
musicmom wrote:
Maybe the Valco twin trimode ex? I just got mine on Craigslist and LOVE it. It fits through EVERY doorway and you can buy an additional third seat that goes on top between the two and a boogie board, so it can technically hold up to 4 kids but it is not huge, has air tires... It's great!

Have you tried stars?

Here are my stairs plus two more in front of my door
2013-12-01 15.46.05

suzyq

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 2:45 pm
I have a Britax B-ready for my two and I would not recommend it for stairs. It's possible to get it up and down stairs, but it's VERY heavy, especially with 2 kids. I love the stroller otherwise, but if stairs are your priority, it's not for you.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 5:29 pm
I would definitely go for a side by side, otherwise bumping it up those steps will be a huge challenge. And air tires help a lot. Do your kids tend be large or on the smaller side? If they're on the smaller side, a duet would probably be great- narrow, great push, very sturdy, comparably easy to bump up steps. If your kids tend to be on the larger side, they may outgrow the seats faster.

Teacup9

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 6:39 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I would definitely go for a side by side, otherwise bumping it up those steps will be a huge challenge. And air tires help a lot. Do your kids tend be large or on the smaller side? If they're on the smaller side, a duet would probably be great- narrow, great push, very sturdy, comparably easy to bump up steps. If your kids tend to be on the larger side, they may outgrow the seats faster.

I am not sure. They are tall, but thin I guess. So far it has been that a child will be almost 4 and I'll have a new baby and wear the baby in a carrier for a couple of months and then the 4 year old has to say bye bye to the stroller. If I take a little baby making break...I suppose I will let the four year old stay awhile, but she'll be less likely to be napping in the stroller when it is time to bump the stairs.

The thing is I don't think the Phil and Ted is challenging up stairs...but I do hate the size and height of the back seat.

Can I push the duet one handed?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 7:43 pm
You can push the duet one handed. I wasn't so clear, will the four year old be riding in the stroller? If so, a duet will definitely be too small.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 3:08 pm
Bump. We have narrow doorways, so I think we are limited to citi mini double or mountain buggy. Any opinions?

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:31 pm
Mountain buggy is narrower and therefore the seats are narrower. So chunky kids don't fit in it well.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:32 pm
My toddler is not chunky but does that mean that they will grow out of it quickly?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics