Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Staten Island
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 10:54 pm
In the Ami there was an article about chasidish people moving to Staten Island, I'm chasidish and I heard about it a while back but was suprised that its actually happening. Does anyone know what chasidus and what type of ppl are moving?

amother

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 11:00 pm
I know there are a handful of gerrer families, I'm not sure if there's anyone else.

asmileaday

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 11:10 pm
If Ami wrote it I take it with a heaping spoon of salt lol. Didn't read it but heard about the article and was wondering if it's true.

mrshj

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 11:16 pm
It is true. If anybody is interested in seeing the houses or have questions regarding them feel free to PM me. I know the broker who is taking care of this.

asmileaday

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 11:26 pm
Are you from SI? If yes and you know the area do you think this can work out? Where will they send their kids to school? Where will they daven? I'd definitely consider SI before lakewood its much closer! How much are the house going for and what sizes? Is it new construction or by chance a lot of people from one neighborhood are selling? Sorry for all the q's but I'd really like to know if this is something I should consider!
Thanks

Emily Thorne

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 11:56 pm
It is true. I know a few people that are moving. I think mostly gerrer chassidim.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 12:47 am
I know a few people that are moving. The people that I know are skvere and belz.
They will continue to send their children to school in bp. They will be paying someone for transportation and will be doing carpooling as well. Once they have 15 eligible children ofrom si in a school the city will provide a separate bus for them but they are not there yet.
Feel free to pm me if you'd like to get in touch with them or have more questions.
They are all purchasing homes within a 5-10 block radius around the shul. Most are purchasing existing homes and they will do some work. Prices vary. Think $550k range for a house with considerable sf compared to bp. $450 for smaller homes. Not sure iI have the prices right but I am trying to give you an idea.

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:28 am
We too are considering moving to SI. We are satmar and I know there is a satmar group considering to move.

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:28 am
Its not only gur there is also skvere and belz and bobov lots of people already have contracts. They are planning on movong out there in the summer iyh and they are making a chasidishe shul.

OhWow!

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:43 am
How are there so many houses up for sale in a 5 to 10 block range?

chocolate chips

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:45 am
I personally know 3 people who closed on a house there.
They are Ger but I know a few other chasidus are planning to go there too.

In regards to school, as far as I heard the gerer schools will bus them to and from SI. It will probably be quicker ride than the 1.5hr bus rides around BP in the morning traffic lol.

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:57 am
I am posting anonymously since my family and friends know my story and are on ImaMother

Ok so I am a gerrer that was very serious in moving out to Staten Island and looked at homes there and found one I like.
At this point I have stopped thinking of the idea due to a number of reasons.
1. chocolate chips I would love to hear what families you know CLOSED cause the Realtor specifically told me that NO ONE has closed yet
2. The area that ger is looking at is willowbrook and now at this point Belz and Skver have have both joined in however there are only about 20 homes on the market
3. NO new homes have come on the market for the past three month so
4. Prices are going up every day. The home I was looking at started at about 350k but now the owner wants 400k

there are definitely many advantages for the area however when you really look at it I am not so sure the area will work out as a community of any specific chassidus

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:04 am
There are about 7 contracts so far closing are scheduled for juna and july
Also new houses do keep coming up I looked at a house that I really wanted it fell thru and the next week another really nice house for the same price came up. There are also some people looking on the other side of bradley which has cheaper houses cuz its not uet frum over there

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:06 am
I know that there are 7 in contract but NO ONE HAS CLOSED and they have been in contract for 6 month already. What prices are you looking for? the point of SI was that the prices are affordable to buy once you go over the 400k price range that is not affordable for most people and therefore not alot will move out there.

asmileaday

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
I am posting anonymously since my family and friends know my story and are on ImaMother

Ok so I am a gerrer that was very serious in moving out to Staten Island and looked at homes there and found one I like.
At this point I have stopped thinking of the idea due to a number of reasons.
1. chocolate chips I would love to hear what families you know CLOSED cause the Realtor specifically told me that NO ONE has closed yet
2. The area that ger is looking at is willowbrook and now at this point Belz and Skver have have both joined in however there are only about 20 homes on the market
3. NO new homes have come on the market for the past three month so
4. Prices are going up every day. The home I was looking at started at about 350k but now the owner wants 400k

there are definitely many advantages for the area however when you really look at it I am not so sure the area will work out as a community of any specific chassidus

Thanks amother for sharing another side to the story! I was wondering that too-in order for it to become comfortably chassidish we need more than just a handful of families. And when there's a lot of interest and not an overabundance of houses prices fly up. 20 houses is not that much at all. Of course when you compare it to zero in bp it seems like a lot! Part of our problem is wherever we go, prices fly up as soon as there are enough yidden. We are so desensitized to bp prices that even 500k seems like a bargain for a WHOLE house with property.... So of course you'll have others outbidding you and then it ain't such a bargain anymore.

asmileaday

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:12 am
Can someone tell me street names of the frum neighborhood? I'm trying to check trulia but am
clueless as to which blocks are yiddish. From what street to what street?

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:22 am
Quote:
Thanks amother for sharing another side to the story! I was wondering that too-in order for it to become comfortably chassidish we need more than just a handful of families. And when there's a lot of interest and not an overabundance of houses prices fly up. 20 houses is not that much at all. Of course when you compare it to zero in bp it seems like a lot! Part of our problem is wherever we go, prices fly up as soon as there are enough yidden. We are so desensitized to bp prices that even 500k seems like a bargain for a WHOLE house with property.... So of course you'll have others outbidding you and then it ain't such a bargain anymore.

The realtor is working very hard to keep the prices low, this week many new houses came onto the market (I guess the staten islanders figure its a good time to sell) many new houses are overpriced but the people are not gonna pay it
My friend is in contract she waited 2 weeks and said she won't pay more and the price came down 30k

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:23 am
Quote:

The realtor is working very hard to keep the prices low, this week many new houses came onto the market (I guess the staten islanders figure its a good time to sell) many new houses are overpriced but the people are not gonna pay it
My friend is in contract she waited 2 weeks and said she won't pay more and the price came down 30k

asmileaday

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:35 am
But if there's heightened interest (which technically is what we want because the more frum people the better for our environment) then somebody else comes along and will offer more. Happened to me a couple of times in bp...
So I guess if I'm interested I should buy now when it's still a buyer's market!
Amother that said there are only about 20 houses in the wanted area - don't you think there's potential for spreading out to less frum neighborhoods?

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:45 am
there are definitely some lubavitcher families on staten island
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating