Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Staten Island
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:48 am
This is a link to a map of the eruv and the jewish community.

http://www.yisi.org/community_eruv_map.php

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:50 am
[/quote]
The realtor is working very hard to keep the prices low, this week many new houses came onto the market (I guess the staten islanders figure its a good time to sell) many new houses are overpriced but the people are not gonna pay it
My friend is in contract she waited 2 weeks and said she won't pay more and the price came down 30k[/quote]

What Realtor I am in contact with the Spiegel almost every day In the last two month they have only emailed me one new house that has come on the market for under 400k

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:05 am
My I laws live in willow brook and there have been with in the past couple of weeks some knocks on their door by some chassidish men asking them if they are willing to sell their house.....

Kitten

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 12:02 pm
Just general info about Staten Island.
There are several frum neighborhoods. Willowbrook (they also have a couple of Satmar families btw) is the biggest but there is also a community around Eltingville (MO, Yeshivish and Karlin-Stolin) and a big yeshiva that's kind of in the middle of nowhere.
There are at least 4 Lubavitcher shuls, one in Willowbrook, and others spread around, because many (most?) of the Lubavitcher families don't in Willowbrook.
Schooling is a problem. I think there is only one girl's school. All the families I know send their children to Boro Park or Crown Heights.

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:32 pm
I really think it will pick up fast, the people in BP are desperate to get out.
No where to go and the prices are crazy. I don't think ppl will outbid others cuz if they are ready to move out of BP they ovbiously want to pay less I don't think ppl will be stupid enough to drive up the prices

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:14 pm
I will say what I know. I live in Staten island, and the community that everyone is talking about is called willowbrook. It's a small community , and at any given time there aren't solo many houses for sale. I heard from my husband that it's specifically ger chassidim that are actively looking and are in the process of moving in. The article in Amy, mentioned diff types of chassidim. As far as how many people, or when are the moving I have no idea. The prices, a lot cheaper than in Brooklyn, but as I said before there really aren't so many houses, and not all of them are in great condition. But most houses if not all here, are spacious and have backyards.Last erev shabbos I actually saw a chassidish family checking out a house on my block and rumor has it one house is already sold on my block.

asmileaday

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:42 pm
Thanks Staten Islanders for your input! Any more Staten Island imamothers? Would love to hear more please! Is the community resenting that the chassidim are moving in? Afraid they'll take over the neighborhood?

amother

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 1:53 pm
Hi....I am the staten islanders from above......I am excited..I think it's very good for us. We ourselves moved here not so long ago, and I really feel that it's a super warm and welcoming community....that being said it's not a big community. Some growth and new blood will be wonderful. I know other people as excited as well. Also, we have a grocery here and a meat store (outside of willowbrook) ....but there is talk of when the chassidim move here, a bigger supermarket will be build. Which is great news!!.

amother

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 2:00 pm
I second the amother above. I am very excited that Chassidim are moving in. I am tired of being asked: are there any Jews living in SI? Yes, there are, and some are moving in!

OhWow!

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 3:07 pm
Sounds great! About time people are doing something about the housing situation in bp! staten island is not too far and more suburban. It's not easy being the first to make a move so whoever is considering: good for u!

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:06 pm
I am iyh moving to Staten Island in august and I am trying to find out some info abt pediatician, if any of you staten islanders can give me some info I would really appreciate it!

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:08 pm
I'm the above poster I meant pediatricians

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:18 pm
amother wrote:
I know that there are 7 in contract but NO ONE HAS CLOSED and they have been in contract for 6 month already. What prices are you looking for? the point of SI was that the prices are affordable to buy once you go over the 400k price range that is not affordable for most people and therefore not alot will move out there.

I know of one that is going for closing at the end of the month (they are packing already...)

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:34 pm
Re pediatrician. I along with a lot of other frum ppl use dr banner. His office is on victory blvd his number is 7184946400.
Other names that ppl use dr cereb. Dr villadele (spelled wrong)

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:10 pm
I live in Staten Island. Everyone I talk to is happy that chassidim are moving in. We are a very warm accepting community. Our Rav is chassidish and his son who's rav of smaller kehilla here just moved into the neighborhood.Everyone is looking forward to popossibility of getting a real heimish grocery store here!
Dr. Cereb is pediatrician that we go to and love. 718-982-9001 he has a frum female nurse practitioner who works by him.
All the lubavitch families send their kids to rjj. And there's a lubavitch yeshiva here. (I'm not lubavitch)
Everyone would be happy to if Willowbrook frum community could spread a little as all yeshivish people really tend to live in a few block radius.
Hatzlacha house hunting!

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:55 pm
Another Staten Islander here: WELCOME. I and everyone I speak to are very happy that more frum people are moving in.
I second Dr, Banner. I am very happy with him.
Any questions? It would be my pleasure.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:56 pm
I'm the one who asked abt the pediatrician
First of all thank you so much for helping me I'm trying to do some research what do dr careb and dr benner do at a well visit do they do a full exam or just shots? What's their approach with treating naturally?
Also we are all so happy to be coming to such a nice community!!
Do your kids go to school in SI?
How long is the commute really on a reg morning?
Thank you all so much!

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 6:40 am
Both doctors banner and cereb do full exams at check ups. Height weight sight hearing talk about any concerns etc. De banners office is a little closer to neighborhood
Do any of the people who plan on moving drive?

My kids go to school locally. I go to work in broil every day. I don't need to be at work at 9 though so I leave a little later and trafic is better the later it is. I think early in the am you have to plan for it to take 40 mins to get to Brooklyn and then additional time to get to where u need to go but it can also take as short as 20 mins

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 7:51 am
My kids go to school locally. We are very happy with rjj. My husband takes express bus to the city and I work locally.
Doctors do full check ups including screenings.

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 12:21 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Thanks Staten Islanders for your input! Any more Staten Island imamothers? Would love to hear more please! Is the community resenting that the chassidim are moving in? Afraid they'll take over the neighborhood?

Another Staten Islander here, and we too are very excited about it! Like the amothers above said, we think it'll be great to have more Jews in the neighborhood, and it'll be great for the expansion of kosher availability (I.e. the kosher grocery expanding to a bigger kosher supermarket). So, welcome! Smile

Just out of curiosity, is everyone looking to buy, or are families looking to rent houses too?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating