Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Baking challah in a toaster oven?

Soul on fire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:05 pm
Has anyone done this? I don't have a regular oven to use right now and don't want to waste time making challah if it isn't going to turn. If you have done this before did a certain recipe work better than another? How long was baking time compared to regular oven, etc. Any help is appreciated.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:07 pm
I do all my baking in a turbo toaster. My cookies, muffins, and cakes have come out great but I've never tried challah. Do you have thermometer that can ensure the temperature is correct and steady?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:12 pm
There are oven thermometers that have a needle probe you stick into the dough, and a long thin wire you close the oven door on. The wire is so thin that you can close the door even though the thermometer part is outside the oven. It will tell you the internal temperature of the dough. It can be set to ring when a target temperature is reached.

I don't know how hot your toaster over gets inside. You would need to find out, and challah needs to be about 110 degrees inside, no? Or is it a little less?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:14 pm
I would say that you have a better chance with smaller rolls vs large loaves. Less likely to burn the outside with a raw inside.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:18 pm
I don't have a thermometer and no time or money to get one today. I may try to make the smaller rolls and see how it turns out. Thanks for the help ladies.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:36 pm
wouldn't the challah pop with a thermometer pushed into it ?!?!?!

put it on the middle shelf - make sure there's room for rising and put the oven temp lower - so it bakes evenly - unless you have a convection that blows the air around

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 3:31 pm
The thermometer probe is thin. You stick in at the side, down near the bottom.

I agree rolls would be a good idea.

Kira

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 6:53 pm
I've been baking challah in a toaster oven for the past few months and it's been coming out pretty good considering I don't have much experience making challah anyway.

The recipe I've been using says to bake the challah for an hour at 180 but I found that it came out dry in the toaster oven.

I've been experimenting baking it for shorter amounts of time and have found that if I bake it for only 20 mins or less it comes our lovely and soft. I do get nervous it will be undercooked but my husband likes it doughy anyway.

I also find that I have to turn it around half way through otherwise only one side gets brown.

So in my experience, it can be done :-)
Good luck!

Iced Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 7:31 pm
I did it for 3 years! It takes faster than a regular oven, and if you have a convection mode you may want to use that. Never had a problem with big loaves or rolls.

Volunteer

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 7:34 pm
My toaster oven also bakes things faster than a regular oven. It's great for summer because it doesn't heat upi the kitchen as much. I reduce the temp by 25 degrees compared to the regular oven temp to prevent burning. But that's just my oven, yours may be different.

I have also found that making rolls instead of loaves works better because rolls don't get too close to the top.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:03 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
There are oven thermometers that have a needle probe you stick into the dough, and a long thin wire you close the oven door on. The wire is so thin that you can close the door even though the thermometer part is outside the oven. It will tell you the internal temperature of the dough. It can be set to ring when a target temperature is reached.

I don't know how hot your toaster over gets inside. You would need to find out, and challah needs to be about 110 degrees inside, no? Or is it a little less?

from this post you make it seem as if you probe the dough ... this is NOT the case ... the way to check for ready temperature is when you think the bread is ready ... that being said - I'm quite sure that if you poke a risen bread/challah before baking you will flop it

the way to check if challah is ready is quite simple - turn the loaf over & tap it on the bottom - if it sounds hollow - bing bing bing - it's ready ... if not bake for longer

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:46 pm
I would think it would be okay for very tiny loaves or rolls..not a regular sized challah. It could get too big during baking and touch the heating surfaces which might be dangerous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads