Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Rethinking Shabbos lunch: For when summer comes!
1  2  Next

manyhats

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:58 pm
I've never had a cozy relationship with my crock pot. While other people liked my food, I always felt it had a burnt taste. So I would prepare dry food and warm it up on the plata.

I feel ready to try something new. So last Shabbos I prepared chicken cutlets, dredged in flour, and baked with a lovely sauce in oven.

It was very tasty Fri night, served hot- but DH was not interested in eating it cold for Shabbos lunch.
(Due to the sauce, it was wet and I couldn't warm it up on blech)

For this week I prepared spaghetti with grilled veggies and I have another kind of chicken.

And so......Do you have any recipes for CHICKEN which are good served cold OR are dry and can be warmed up on platta for Shabbos lunch.

TIA

mamitaly

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 2:27 pm
grilled chicken (lightly warmed or not) cut into strips and served over garden salad, with homemade lemon dressing (1 TBSP lemon juice, 1tsp french mustard, 3 TBSP extra virgin love oil, pinch ground black pepper, salt). It is refreshing and nutritious.

abaker

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 6:11 pm
I second grilled chicken. cut in to cubes and put on skewers with peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes and grill. serve with dipping sauces. or just cut up grilled chicken and serve with tortillas and lots of veggies (cut up tomatoes/shredded lettuce/coleslaw) with honey mustard, russian, or ranch dressing (I have a great pareve ranch dressing recipe)

manyhats

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:56 pm
Thanks so much for responding.

abaker, Yes, I would appreciate your ranch dressing recipe.

I'm hoping to hear from other Imamothers @ chicken recipes that taste good cold. Or (moist) dry ( not wet) chicken that can be warmed up on blech/platta. Pretty Please!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:00 pm
I make a spice rub and rub it all over a whole chicken. make sure to get spices in all the crevices. bake the chicken at 350 for two hours, breast side down, uncovered. yes, it's good cold. mix whatever spices you like, but I like to combine paprika, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and either basil or parsley. I don't measure these things, so no specific recipe.

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:06 pm
I am also looking for a ranch dressing recipe

manyhats

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:32 pm
md,

How sensible and classic! Thanks

Some questions: covered or uncovered ; is chicken on rack? , Any additions -, potatoes , carrots, onions, garlic

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:13 pm
uncovered, in a pan, no additions. the exposed skin will be crispy. putting the chicken breast-side-down will allow the fat from the dark meat to keep the white meat moist. the meat is very easy to cut after this. the skin won't remain crispy if you serve it cold, but the meat will still be delicious. it's my favorite chicken recipe currently. it takes about thirty seconds of actual prep work. I cut it into quarters while still hot, but it should be easy to carve cold.

Vanilla

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:20 pm
abaker...I love your kabob idea. My younger kids probably wouldn't eat the vegies grilled, but what a great way to entice them to eat more raw vegies I.e. skewered with cubed chicken. Thanks!

manyhats

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:26 pm
Followup on md;

I am thinking that you might as well roast 2 chickens at a time. Planned leftovers for the week or freeze one .

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:38 pm
manyhats wrote:
Followup on md;

I am thinking that you might as well roast 2 chickens at a time. Planned leftovers for the week or freeze one .

that works fine. just don't crowd the pan.

rachel6543

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 2:21 am
Easy chicken that heats up fine:

Pound chicken breast thin. Dip in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs ( my husband likes the seasoned Jason brand). Fry in a little olive oil on the stove. Drain on paper towel. I find the chicken reheats fine the next day, just make sure to leave partially uncovered when heating up.

Similar recipe. Instead of pounding chicken breast, cut into smaller pieces. Dip in flour, then egg, then panko bread crumbs. Fry in a little canola oil. Make sure to drain on paper towel. Serve with sweet and sour sauce. Reheats fine for lunch, just make sure partially uncovered.

lech lecha08

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 6:04 am
I do a few different chicken salads
honey mustard dressing
chicken-pasta with a balsamic dressing
shwarma-spiced with Israeli salad and techina/hummus

abaker

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 8:26 am
pareve ranch dressing

few spoons mayo
a splash of white vinegar
lots of onion and garlic powder
dried oregeno and dried parsley
black pepper & salt
a little water to thin out if using as salad dressing..otherwise its the consistency of a dip

add spices according to taste, I usually usea lot of onion powder...and more oregeno than parsley, and adjust spices as I go along. mix well. enjoy!

manyhats

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 8:37 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
I do a few different chicken salads
honey mustard dressing
chicken-pasta with a balsamic dressing
shwarma-spiced with Israeli salad and techina/hummus

LL08, Thanks

Would you please share the balsamic dressing?

And the schwarma? Dark or white meat? Spices? Fried/grilled/Baked

TIA

manyhats

Post Sat, May 10 2014, 10:51 pm
Thanks for all responses.

r6 and ab, thanks for recipes.

Would love to hear more ideas from my fellow Imamothers: What do YOU serve for Shabbos lunch.

Meat /Turkey served cold OR warmed up (al pi halacha --dry) on the platta.

I think this info would be useful to myself as well as the over 750 people who opened this post.

TIA

good times

Post Sat, May 10 2014, 10:55 pm
we're in the same boat- no crock pots for us. We switch off between schnitzel, deli and chicken pot pie for shabbos lunch.

lech lecha08

Post Sat, May 10 2014, 11:22 pm
manyhats wrote:
LL08, Thanks

TIA

pasta-chicken salad

Dressing: 3 cloves of garlic, minced 1/2 cup vinegar 1/2 cup olive oil 2 tsp oregano 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper

Salad: 3 Portobello mushrooms sliced (I use a container of button) 2 zucchini, 3 red (or orange or yellow) peppers, 1 eggplant, sliced
2 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
900 g penne pasta, cooked, rinsed, drained
grilled chicken breasts

Combine all dressing ingredients and shake well
Broil vegetables on a cookie sheet. Pour oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt over the vegetables. Broil (or bbq) until slightly blackened. Set aside
Put the pasta in a serving dish, top with the vegetables and chicken, dress

lech lecha08

Post Sat, May 10 2014, 11:24 pm
manyhats wrote:
LL08, Thanks

TIA

I don't have a recipe for the spices. I buy a container of a shwarma spice mix. I cut white meat into pieces, brush with some oil, sprinkle the spices and broil it

manyhats

Post Sat, May 10 2014, 11:28 pm
Thanks so much ll08.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note