Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Reusable cups

acccdac

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 2:43 am
I have bought myself many reusable cups, both for hot and cold. I probably have about 4 of each.

I dont have the extra cabinet space in my kitchen and I have all these cups sitting on my counter. As they get used the counter gets emptied but when the dishes are done, the counter gets filled again. I guess I technically dont need more than 2 of each. (cup #1 used on sunday, it is in the sink monday and gets washed monday, and on monday use cup #2, by tuesday cup #2 is in the sink and cup #1 is cleaned.)

However, even if I get rid of my "collection" and leave myself with 4 cups total, I still have the water bottles (camelbacks) for each family member. They are sometimes on the counter for 2-3 days.

anyone have any solutions other than "find space in the cabinet"

myname1

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 5:08 am
If you have wall space, how about hanging a net bag or large plastic container somewhere near the counters but out of the way? Or nailing in a small shelf? Depends on what kind of space you have besides counters/cabinets.

zaq

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:19 pm
Get yourself a nice sturdy lidded plastic shoe box or tote bin and stash it in your base cabinet.

Better yet, get one of those Sterilite-type plastic drawer units--just one drawer, not too deep--and put it in your base cabinet. Cups go inside drawer, something else like frying pans or what have you goes on top.

OR stretch your cabinet shelves with one of those vinyl-coated wire shelves that are about a foot long and 8 inches wide. Cups go under the shelf, dinner plate or soup bowls or coffee, tea and sugar go on top. Or get an undershelf basket, also vinyl-coated wire, to hang from the second shelf, and put cups in that, in wasted space above whatever is below.

Or install some wall-hung shelves.

granolamom

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:22 pm
zaq wrote:

OR stretch your cabinet shelves with one of those vinyl-coated wire shelves that are about a foot long and 8 inches wide. Cups go under the shelf, dinner plate or soup bowls or coffee, tea and sugar go on top. Or get an undershelf basket, also vinyl-coated wire, to hang from the second shelf, and put cups in that, in wasted space above whatever is below.

that's what we do. I have about 2 dozen drinking glasses stored that way. I also packed up half of our milchig dishes to make room for the glasses. we rarely need all 12 plates and bowls, but we go through those glasses faster than you'd think.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:32 pm
I finally realized that with no kids at home right now there's no reason to keep service for 16 in the everyday cabinet! I only bought service for 16 to have extras in case of breakage, anyway. After Pesach I left some of the dishes packed and stashed in a bedroom closet. I know where they are should we need them, but meanwhile they're out of the way and not getting on my nerves.

zaq

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:35 pm
May I ask a stupid question? Unless you use a dishwasher and wait to fill it before using, why can't you just have maybe 1.5 times as many glasses as you have household members and wash them as they're used? Do you-all wait to fill up the sink before washing?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics