Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Looking for a job while pregnant
Previous  1  2

Marion

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 1:17 am
breslov wrote:
Kmelion wrote:
So stick with the job you have already for another few months...

I mean, don't you think your boss's attitude towards you right now is because she feels deceived? And now you're proposing to do it again?

I didn't make it clear- I was practically fired, so I quit first. And apparently its not bec I'm preg.

If you need the job that badly, and you were fired after you told you were pregnant, it doesn't matter why they fired you. If they didn't go through the process with the Ministry of Labour, it was illegal, and you can have the job back. Even if you quit, because of the circumstances it's as though you were fired. (Can you tell I've done this before?) Look into it...and make sure your boss KNOWS that you know the law.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 3:27 am
NJMommy wrote:
Not reccommending anyone do anything illegal, but I wouldn't mention being pg if it's not necessary...

But here in Israel, you have a legal obligation at 5 months to tell.

Beyond legal obligation or not... what about the moral obligation? A lie by omission is still a lie. It is still a deception. And it reflects badly on you. And if you're dealing with non-Jews, or secular Jews, it reflects badly on frum Jews as a whole (right or wrong).

NJMommy wrote:
I don't know about Israel, but if they ask questions about family englargemtn...well, that's illegal here in the US, yet companies still do it, and I was advised to imply I'd already "gotten that out of the way" even if I intended to keep having babies, IY"H.

Implying that you've 'gotten it out of the way' is not the same as going into the interview 5 months pregnant.

NJMommy wrote:
Furthermore, even though it is illegal to discriminate in hiring, etc. toward a pregnant woman, and I made it clear that I'm the breadwinner and plan to go back to work after a standard 6 week maternity leave (nonpaid), no one in any hiring department would even talk to me before I had the baby, and I was also only 4 mos pg.

I basically had to give up once I started showing bc no one would talk to me anyways (even to start something after the baby).

'Only' 4 months means that you'll 'only' be working for them for 4 or 5 months before you have to go off on maternity leave. A lot of things can happen and they and you can't guarantee you'll be back. Unless they're specifically looking for short term employess, can you really fault them for not wanting to hire you?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 4:38 am
I find it highly ironic that your original question is about whether you have a moral obligation to mention during an interview that you're 5 months pregnant... yet you quit the job you had because you felt your boss was doing something you felt was morally objectionable.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 4:39 am
Breslov, I'm in the same exact position and figured since no one will hire me anyways, I'm not going to bother driving myself crazy looking until after the baby. (unless you know of someone looking for s/o short term)

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:24 am
Kmelion wrote:
I find it highly ironic that your original question is about whether you have a moral obligation to mention during an interview that you're 5 months pregnant... yet you quit the job you had because you felt your boss was doing something you felt was morally objectionable.

I'll tell you why- it wasn't that I think I shouldn't tell the employers. I do think its VERY important for an employer to know that their employee is pregnant. However, it is also illegal for them to discriminate against a pregnant woman, but people will do so anyhow, even subconciously. So by telling someone at an interveiw, I'm helping them do something illegal.
So because of this dilema, I did what a good frum jew should do. I asked a rav. And he davka told me I shouldn't tell them at an interveiw.
And yes, I quit the morally objectionable job because I have a high sense of morals. There isn't a contradiction. I wasn't trying to "get out of my moral obligations" and looking for a way to do that.

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:26 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
Breslov, I'm in the same exact position and figured since no one will hire me anyways, I'm not going to bother driving myself crazy looking until after the baby. (unless you know of someone looking for s/o short term)

Yay! Another pregnant neighbor!!!
The problem is I don't plan on working after the baby unless its something I can bring the baby with me to- we just need money to help for when the baby does come, iy'h...

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:30 am
But a lie by omission is still a lie.

You know that you will not be able to continue the job for more than 3 or 4 months.

And you're not planning on returning.

Yet you're not going to tell them this in your interview.

Does the job specify they're looking for someone for only a couple months?

If you were in their shoes, and had an opportunity to spend the time, effort and resources on someone who will be with the company indefinitely v.s. someone who will not only be there for at most 4 months but also doesn't plan on returning and knowingly didn't mention this in their interview... who would you hire? The person who was honest, or the person who was deceitful?

And why not go back to work? Will your finances magically improve once the baby arrives?

shalhevet

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:40 am
Kmelion wrote:
But a lie by omission is still a lie.

You know that you will not be able to continue the job for more than 3 or 4 months.

And you're not planning on returning.

Yet you're not going to tell them this in your interview.

Does the job specify they're looking for someone for only a couple months?

If you were in their shoes, and had an opportunity to spend the time, effort and resources on someone who will be with the company indefinitely v.s. someone who will not only be there for at most 4 months but also doesn't plan on returning and knowingly didn't mention this in their interview... who would you hire? The person who was honest, or the person who was deceitful?

And why not go back to work? Will your finances magically improve once the baby arrives?

Kmelion, I agree with you 100%.

Breslov, as someone previously suggested, why don't you look for filling in for someone going on maternity leave now? And think about Kmelion's last point. The reality of living in Israel is that most women have to work.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:45 am
Quote:
why don't you look for filling in for someone going on maternity leave now?

where would you recomend to start looking?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 5:48 am
Post to Janglo (yahoogroups)...

Elle

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 3:04 am
If you left your previous job because they made you feel uncomfortable, whether or not it was pregnancy related, dont you think within 2 weeks, after it would be obvious to everyone that you are pregnant, they will be mad with you? Then the same uncomfortable situation...

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 5:11 am
Kmelion wrote:

I am a firm beleiver of not sending children to day care. And because even if I was for it, paying for daycare for me to make barely more than that an hour would def not be worth it.

And thanks to your suggestions, I've been looking (on janglo, etc) for short term jobs...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics