Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Little Self Confidence about Job Ability

Seraph

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 12:36 am
Sorry so long...

I've had a whole buncha jobs in the few years I was working...
My last job lasted 2.5 weeks, because, according to my boss "my coworkers were complaining about me". As I wrote in another post, I have reason to beleive that's not true, but however, my husband said I should consider that maybe I really was doing something subconciously that grated on my coworkers nerves.

My job before that was actually going well, but after 3 mos I had to quit because it was unbearable during my first few mos of pregnancy. My boss actually was quite pleased with me and kept praising me to everyone who would possibly listen. But my husband thinks that the fact that I quit instead of sticking it out says something about my personality.

Before that, there was a period of a few months that I was looking for a job that went unsuccessfully- either they never called me back, or they said I didn't have the right personality for the job.

And before that, I had a job that lasted a month- then I moved to Israel, and they were begging me to stay behind at the job and not move to israel, they wanted me that much.

The job before that, after 6 mos of working for them, the business was slowly going down the drain, so my boss laid me off, because he couldnt afford to pay someone for the evening. (I happen to know this is true- he wasn't making any money... it wasn't just an excuse to fire me.)

And the job before that, I quit after 4 mos because it was too competetive and I didn't like the feeling that if I didn't make enough sales I'd be out of a job.

But thats my basic job history. Longest job I had was for 6 mos.
My husband thinks that its an issue I have, that I can't stay at something long term. Either I'll quit or get fired. It makes me sad, but I wonder if maybe its true. Am I just not the working type, the type that will never be happy with any job?
There's a reason I'm not planning on being a career woman- jobs don't invigorate me or anything- they're just a way to make money to pay my bills and zehu.
But still I need some chizzuk, I feel that in the job world, I'm a failure. I mean, pretty much being forced to quit after 2 weeks? Even that's a record for me...

HooRYou

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 12:52 am
breslov, I've had TONS! of jobs and tried almost everything under the sun. It is really hard to work when you don't really want to but are just doing it for parnassah.

There are a lot of factors that make a difference with jobs though. Not only do you have to like the actually work you also have to liek yoru work environment. I had one job that was great and the other employees in my office were great, but I felt that upper management was very inflexible and overly micromanaging but paying us very little. A differnet job I was brought in as the only new employee when a new (unwanted)owner took over the company. At this job basically all the others workers did everythign they could to have me fired (it worked, but that is a crazy story too). Even the best job I ever had frustrated me after a while because the work got very boring and I didn't think I was progressing.

One thing I have learned from all my jobs is that your job is mamesh min ha shemayim. I have crazy job interview stories and have almost never gotten a job the normal way (answer job listing, go to interview, etc.) I think especially if you are in Israel you need to ask around to the people you know to find a job. You also might want to put some effort into finding out what you really want in a job including not only the work that you do but the atmosphere you work in. A good career counselor could help (I might know one if you are interested). Maybe just make a commitment to whichever job you get next and stickit out as long as your DH thinks you should just to see what it is like and to prove you can do it.

Hatzlacha!

Seraph

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:16 am
I wanted to do that with my last job- but my boss had other plans...
I finally decided that I'd probably only get job satisfaction from one of three jobs- and all of them I can't do now.
1) Food decorating- I'd need to take a course in that
2) Massage therapy- also need to take a course in that
3) Teaching hashkafa at seminary- but uhm yea, who'd hire some 19 year old newlywed without even a teaching certificate to teach hashkafa at sem...

There go my plans.
And with my qualifications, its hard to find a "fun" job.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:24 am
So what should should do is both of your plans. FInd a do-able job and stickto it until DH says you can stop and at the same time take a course to work towards the job you really want to do.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:27 am
You're right about 3, but one and two sound totally feasible. Why don't you go and look into them now? It will be easier to do a short course now than once you have the baby, iy"H. Have you made aliya? In which case you may have rights from Misrad Haavoda to train and even get a salary at the same time.

You are only 19 and there is no reason not to train now for something you enjoy. I am 40 and I am finishing off a two year (one day a week) course to work in something I love, and I'm only sorry I didn't do it earlier. It's also easier with one baby than with two....

And about the jobs. Your record sounds just fine. You said yourself that some of the jobs everything went well but other circumstances made you leave. So I'm sure there's nothing wrong with you. Like the previous poster said, everything is mishamayim and daven, daven, daven that you will find something you like which will help with the parnassa.

Seraph

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:42 am
I don't have money now to take a course- I am looking for a job now because I need to have money to save up to have a baby. And because I don't plan on being a working mom, and I heard these courses are expensive, I don't know if its worth it. Yea, I'm an olah chaddasha- where would I find out more info about the misrad haavoda thing?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:47 am
what about tutoring from your home or theirs ... don't plenty of girls need that and at the same time you can help them with haskafa since you are good at that ...

shalhevet

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:49 am
Phone them! Or maybe the AACI or BOS would have the information. For people without training, misrad ha'avoda pays you a salary (obviously not too large, but something) to study, so you would be studying and earning money. I know someone who did a computer graphics course with them and someone else who did a course as a seamstress. I don't know the exact conditions.

Seraph

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 2:00 am
greenfire wrote:
what about tutoring from your home or theirs ... don't plenty of girls need that and at the same time you can help them with haskafa since you are good at that ...

Its a great idea aside for the fact that my community is a young community, so no teenage/sem age girls here...

What is BOS?

HooRYou

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 2:03 am
Be careful with the Misrad HaAvodah. Make sure that you only sign up to do a course and not just to get benefits since they really want to find people jobs and will kick you off if they find you a job they think is acceptable but you think isn't. For example, a friend of mine was kicked off since she didn't want to work in an un-tzenius ladies clothing store). There are people who pretend to be intersted in the jobs but then flub them, but I wouldn't recommed it.

There is someone at the Misrad HaAvodah who just does training counseling. Some fo the courses are hard to get into (like teh computer ones) but some are pretty easy. ALso the courses are given in Hebrew so you would have to be fluent enough to understand.

There used to be a professional ulpan / job placement program for olim in the community center on Ha Mem Gimmel near MADA. I think it is probably still running, and they could give you guidance about training too.

Seraph

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 2:11 am
Do you have information on how to contact any of these places? (One thing I realized about israel- its hard to find phone numbers merely by googling them...)
I don't have a problem with a hebrew course- my hebrew is fluent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics