Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
No Frozen Spinach To Be Found!
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:13 pm
Can anyone solve this mystery for me? There's no frozen spinach in any of the stores in Lakewood (I went out of my way to two stores I don't usually patronize just to see if they have any) and I asked my mother to look in Moshe's Supermarket and another store in Brooklyn. There is NO frozen spinach to be found.
Does anyone know why? For now, I'm subbing with chopped broccoli, but I miss my spinach. Anyone who knows why or knows when it will be back, please clear up this mystery.
debs

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:20 pm
There's spinach where I shop. Confused
Maybe it's the latest chumrah of the week?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:25 pm
debsenr@gmail.com wrote:
Can anyone solve this mystery for me? There's no frozen spinach in any of the stores in Lakewood (I went out of my way to two stores I don't usually patronize just to see if they have any) and I asked my mother to look in Moshe's Supermarket and another store in Brooklyn. There is NO frozen spinach to be found.
Does anyone know why? For now, I'm subbing with chopped broccoli, but I miss my spinach. Anyone who knows why or knows when it will be back, please clear up this mystery.
debs
I couldn't find frozen spinach for pesach anywhere, then I found it at a smaller supermarket (Mega 53 in BP).
I don't know why the main supermarkets don't have it. Or maybe it's just selling out really quickly.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, May 13 2014, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:26 pm
Where I live we were out of spinach for a while Bodek disappeared first, then Eden, and then we had none. We recently got a new brand I hadn't heard of before.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:28 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Where I live we were out of spinach for a while Bodek disappeared first, then Eden, and then we had none. We recently got a new brand I hadn't heard of before.
Eden was on sale for a while because they were selling out their stock.
Now they are restocking shelves with their new name and packaging, under B'gan IIRC.

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:29 pm
Postiv has come out with fresh Spinach I've noticed it in a few Lakewood grocery stores... Shloimy's, Kosher Village.

rachelbg

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:31 pm
I was also having a hard time. I finally found some, after about 3 weeks of searching! I figured it was a re-stocking issue from Pesach.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:33 pm
Are you looking specifically for bodek, or for a regular grocery store brand with a good heksher? I've never seen the OU spinach out of stock, and DH holds that it's good enough for us (and he's pretty machmir).

debsey

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
Postiv has come out with fresh Spinach I've noticed it in a few Lakewood grocery stores... Shloimy's, Kosher Village.

OMG!! Really??!! Fresh spinach! I'm making a note to get to Shloimy's tomorrow. I LOVE fresh spinach!
Thanks!
debs

debsey

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you looking specifically for bodek, or for a regular grocery store brand with a good heksher? I've never seen the OU spinach out of stock, and DH holds that it's good enough for us (and he's pretty machmir).

I'm looking for Bodek, Eden, Positiv - any of the heimshe hechsherim.
Thanks!
debs

UQT

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:54 pm
I saw a bunch of fresh spinach in kosher west today also....

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:36 am
I get the big tubs of fresh baby spinach from Costco. They're super cheap, and not buggy at all. They are very dirty though, and need to be rinsed a few times. Checking each leaf is a pain, but if I'm making a salad it's worth the effort. If you wash and check it all in one big batch, you can keep it in the fridge for several days without it getting wilted or slimy.

For baking, I stick with the frozen stuff.

bnm

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 8:48 pm
I've tried 4 BP groceries. Gourmet Glatt sells it fresh and prechecked. my local guy AND Mr. Amnon from the pizza store said there isn't any available now.

debsey

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 9:56 pm
So, I did my reconnaissance:
Stock guy at Shloimie's says there's no frozen spinach to be found, and he doesn't know why. No suppliers have and no suppliers are saying why they don't have or when they'll have again.
There IS Positiv fresh baby spinach in Shloimies! It is AWESOME. I literally ate the entire bag myself (sorry kids, Mommy's been trying to grow her muscles!) Which is probably a guarantee that they'll want it next time.
YUM YUM YUM YUM!
So glad I kvetched here about no frozen spinach!!!!!
debs

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:02 pm
but if you buy fresh spinach & soak it & check it ... you're going to have the same kind of spinach they sell ... I mean you can freeze it if you want ...

[aren't you all supposed to have a kosher bug light]

debsey

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:07 pm
greenfire wrote:
but if you buy fresh spinach & soak it & check it ... you're going to have the same kind of spinach they sell ... I mean you can freeze it if you want ...

[aren't you all supposed to have a kosher bug light]

Who is "you all?" Tongue Out

I'd so much rather buy it pre-checked. and pre-chopped. So much faster.
debs

bobeli

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:09 pm
probably there is none because the usual places where those brands get their spinach don't have, or is all infested or the crop died because of the weather (to cold, rain, storms, etc)
I know someone in the produce business that mentioned a similar problem with the frozen strawberry.

debsey

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:11 pm
OMG we are going to create a panic and a crisis! There will be a run on frozen strawberries in the frum stores now.
BTW, Cosco carries an OU brand of frozen strawberry, if people are looking to save money.
debs

bobeli

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:18 pm
I didn't say the issue with strawberry is now, he explained that then so I assume this happened with the spinach now.
why everything becomes a crisis?

debsey

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 10:22 pm
bobeli wrote:
I didn't say the issue with strawberry is now, he explained that then so I assume this happened with the spinach now.
why everything becomes a crisis?

I just meant that since it is almost shavuous - people are going to be needing frozen spinach and strawberries - those are common ingredients - and if there's rumors of scarcity, there will be a run on the store, creating an ACTUAL scarcity.
It's not an ACTUAL crisis....I was kidding. LOL
debs
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking