Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Going to shul on shabbos
1  2  3  4  Next

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:54 am
so all this talk of our boys/men & minyan puts my mind back to this long asked question ...

we're busy all week long ... our judiasm teaches us that Hashem created the world in 6 days & on the 7th day he rested ... therefore we make shabbos holy

so I tend to see that a lot of women & teenage girls take advantage & sleep late ... waking up for kiddush when everyone else comes home

shouldn't going to shul on shabbos be a mainstay to our spirituality ... part & parcel of our religious beliefs - making shabbos kadosh ?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:18 pm
Not only do I go to shul, but I started going earlier, so I'm caught up by Modim/krias haTorah. (I do get to sleep in a little and have time for kiddush first.)
It took me quite a few years to get to this point, though. And B"H for Artscroll siddur and the Stone chumash to ease me back into it.

pizza4

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:19 pm
I'd love to go, are you offering to babysit?
Smile

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:25 pm
greenfire wrote:
so all this talk of our boys/men & minyan puts my mind back to this long asked question ...

we're busy all week long ... our judiasm teaches us that Hashem created the world in 6 days & on the 7th day he rested ... therefore we make shabbos holy

so I tend to see that a lot of women & teenage girls take advantage & sleep late ... waking up for kiddush when everyone else comes home

shouldn't going to shul on shabbos be a mainstay to our spirituality ... part & parcel of our religious beliefs - making shabbos kadosh ?

Women don't have an obligation to daven the same way that men do. Personally, I don't really feel any spiritual connection when davening. I find myself more connected when I use my own words in my own time to daven for my own things. I enjoy spending my day home with my kids, even though they make drive me insane sometimes :-) THAT is my spiritual connection. And if I can sleep a little later on shabbos, why shouldn't I? Trust me, if minyan was later, I guarantee you many many many men would be sleeping in too.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:28 pm
I've gone to shul since I'm 10 years old practically my whole life - from my own accord ... the only time I didn't go was when 1 of my children was a little unruly or if I had just had a baby ...

you can go with kids and teach them what shul is about - in those years you simply limit the hours spent there & divvy them up between you and your spouse ... and make sure they have some treat to look forward to for behaving

how else will they ever know it's what we should be doing on shabbos

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:59 pm
I just experienced my first time in shul davening on shabbos in years. No babies, my youngest is almost 6, but they cannot just sit in shul for hours. There was an on-again off-again kids program going, but to be honest it was being run by sweet but incompetent young girls and my kids did not feel good about being left alone there. Neither did I. So I'd sit and watch them in the kids program from time to time or simply stay home with them most of the time. Now that there is finally a proper program for them with an engaging and responsible adult, they are happy and I am happy. So I was able to sit in shul this shabbos and pray. It's been so many years. It was so nice. But to say that it made my shabbos more kodesh then staying home with my children? No.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:02 pm
Who said women are "supposed to" go to shul on shabbos? Shabbos is a day for connecting with God, but there's no one formula for that (barring the obligatory ones of course)

syrima

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:18 pm
I have no problem with women with young children who stay home on Shabbos. BTDT. I have a problem with women who have school age kids or teenagers and none of them are in shul except for Yizkor. How do you expect your daughters to develop a taste for davening in shul and a kesher with the rabbi and rebbetzin without being there?
I sincerely hope you are all busy saying tehillim at home, but I doubt it. Rolling Eyes

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:31 pm
if women aren't supposed to daven & go to shul ... why not just raise your girls in public school ... I really don't understand this concept

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:33 pm
Who said anything about davening? And what does public school have to do with girls going to shul? Scratching Head

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:34 pm
well you don't need much chinuch to sleep late ...

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:35 pm
There are many choices a person can make. Sleeping late and going to shul are not the only two.

Zehava

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:38 pm
Greenfire do you seriously not realize that not every city has an eiruv?

Last edited by Zehava on Wed, May 14 2014, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:40 pm
greenfire wrote:
well you don't need much chinuch to sleep late ...

Seriously now. All we learn at school is how to daven in a shul and so if we don't go we don't need a Jewish education at all? This is just silly.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:40 pm
well that's what this discussion is about ... girls & their mother's sleeping in late on shabbos - holy of holies and not caring about going to shul & certainly not taking the time to daven - as people mentioned above a women is not supposed to go to shul - so then why would they care to daven at 2 in the afternoon

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:42 pm
Zehava wrote:
Greenfire do you seriously not realize that not every city has an eiruv?

what does an eruv have to do with going to shul ... kids can walk / teens can walk / women can walk ... women with babies & no eruv are excused

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:44 pm
Not obligated to is not the same as not supposed to. You make it sound as if someone is saying they have no place being there. This is not the case from any poster above as far as I can see.

There are any number of reasons a woman or teen might choose to not go to shul on shabbos. I would not presume to know the reason or judge them for it. Sleeping in feels wrong to you. For another it might be her only chance all week and give her the ability to be a better wife and mother all week long. I would see that as a positive thing.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:51 pm
has anybody ever heard of taam shabbos ... so many things are connected to it ... so what if it's not obligatory for a woman/girl to daven in shul ... it's a nicety that makes up for the spirituality I would think religious people are looking for ...

not sleeping all day ...

זכור את יום השבת לקדשו

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:08 pm
Some women feel a lot more connected to God when davening quietly in the corner of the living room than they ever will at shul. Some women find spirituality in going around the corner to spend the morning chatting with grandma. Some women are elevated by snuggling with kids on the couch and discussing the parsha. There are so many ways to attain the holiness of shabbos.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:12 pm
I don't feel that it's proper Chinuch for young child to be in Shul until they can sit through it. So IY"H when my kids can sit through a little bit of davening, I will go for a little bit of davening. Until then, I daven at home and go to Shul for then end primarily for social reason and to walk DH home.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics