Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
My grandma died --sequoia
1  2  3  Next

sequoia

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:15 pm
My grandma, Bertha bas Malka Tauba, died this morning. She was 89. She died peacefully at home, surrounded by her family -- my grandpa, her husband of 65 years, and my father.

I am in shock.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:16 pm
I'm so sorry for your loss Hug

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:23 pm
Hug

I'm so sorry.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:23 pm
I'm sorry for her loss to you & to all of those who loved her ... it's a comfort to know she was not alone - may her soul have an aliyah

Hug

boysrus

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:33 pm
BDE, I am so sorry
hugs to you

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:37 pm
Oh Sequoia, I am so sorry for your loss! Hug Hug

octopus

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:39 pm
I am so sorry! Crying

tzatza

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:53 pm
BDE
So sorry...I lost both of my grandmothers in the past year and a half...it is heartbreaking

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:03 pm
sequoia, I'm so sorry for your loss.

freidasima

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:08 pm
Sequoia, I am so sorry for your loss. May you and your extended family be comforted in having had such a grandmother, and may she continue to live on forever in your memories, stories and dreams. I send you hugs and comfort from here.

imasinger

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:12 pm
B"DE.

I'm sorry her passing was such a shock. May your family find strength in each other, particularly your grandfather.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:13 pm
My grandma was a true lady, in every sense of the word.

She was born in 1924 in Vinnitsa, to a Yiddish-speaking family. She had one older brother, whose family lives in Israel. She graduated from Pedagogical Institute and worked for many years as a teacher of English and French, at school and at evening courses for adults. My grandma also directed plays and wrote poetry.

When we came to America she taught English to fellow immigrants. She also took up pottery. She and my grandpa traveled a lot at the beginning. They went to England, France, Spain, and Mexico. She also went to Israel to say goodbye to her brother when he was dying.

In recent years she endured a lot. She was hit by a car, had several strokes, fell and broke her hip and her arm. She was in the hospital and rehab a lot. She endured everything with grace and good humor. All the doctors, nurses, and patients loved her and were amazed by how much my grandpa took care of her.

My grandma acted like a lady in every situation. She was warm, dignified, courageous, and quick for a laugh. She encouraged those around her. Everyone became better in her presence. My grandpa adored her and over more than six decades their love grew.

I have to share this: when they would be getting ready to go out, my grandpa would always ask her, "Darling, have you put on your earrings? And your teeth?"

My grandma always dressed nicely and put on makeup: blush and lipstick. As a child I loved trying on her amber necklaces and silk scarves. She made the most delicious honey cake and apple latkes. She knew "Eugene Onegin" by heart and she loved "War and Peace." She loved classical music. She was aesthetically sensitive and loved beauty of every kind. She loved America. She always said, "I can't stand it when people talk badly about America!" And one time, I ordered an Edible Creations basket for her birthday. She looked at it and said, "This kind of beauty can be only in America!"

My grandma's values were kindness, courtesy, and hard work. She taught me and everyone around her how to be a person. She cared tremendously about people's feelings. She personified tact and good taste. Everywhere she went, she had many friends.

Her memory will be for a blessing.

m in Israel

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:03 pm
BDE So sorry for your loss!

She sounds like such a special person.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:06 pm
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like she lived a really beautiful life. May this comfort you and your family.

freidasima

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:09 pm
She sounds like such a special person! A true example to her family. How lucky you were to have her for so long and to have such an example. And how much I am sure you will all miss her.

Do something worthwhile in her memory, even if it is just to tell people about her. It keeps her with you.

daisy

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:20 pm
BDE. May Hashem comfort you and your family. The eulogy you wrote is beautiful. She sounds like she was a special person.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:23 pm
BDE

So instructive to hear about her. Thank you for posting.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:26 pm
sequoia wrote:

I have to share this: when they would be getting ready to go out, my grandpa would always ask her, "Darling, have you put on your earrings? And your teeth?"

this line made me chuckle - and I see how much grandpa cared about her through these 2 simple reminders

thank you for sharing some of whom she was ... and yes her memory lives on

happybeingamom

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 4:09 pm
I am so sorry, it really hurts to lose a wonderful grandmother.

Fox

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 4:15 pm
BDE

Thank you so much for sharing a little about her! Now I know who you take after in your family!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics