Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Show stopping Sunflower Spinach Pie
Previous  1  2  3  Next

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:09 am
I made this. Its super fun :-) Thanks for the recipe.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:35 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I made this. Its super fun :-) Thanks for the recipe.

My pleasure!

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:45 am
I think the filling could be any boreka-like filling. I posted the recipe link for instruction only as I used puff pastry dough which worked out fine. If you don't use some ingredient with green, then you'll have orange/brown petals (sweet potato/potato) - not as colorful but will still taste great. Look up any recipe for potato spinach blintz/boreka and that will work. Kasha filling might also be good. You could always add chopped parsley once it is shaped and stick it into the petals to appear green.

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 12:26 pm
eema1 wrote:
I love the idea of potato spinach- how would you do that- or do you think using the inside of an eggroll recipe would work here as well?

I plan to figure it out by ear. I'm gonna make mashed potatoes and mix in chopped broccoli till it looks and feels right.
debs

peacemom

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 12:50 pm
I want to thank you for posting this recipe. Just finished making it and it looks great!
I used puff pastry dough.
Hope it tastes as great as it looks! Will be serving it Shavuos lunch.
Chag Sameach!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:36 pm
can someone with the recipe post it? I keep trying both links and being told the page no longer exists.

rae gi

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:40 pm
mandksima, you are world famous! I just spoke with DD in Israel and she heard about your recipe and is looking forward to making it. Chag Sameach.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:05 pm
Imamothers must have crashed the site!
I was in the middle and it's no longer available. Someone please post! My dough is ready!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:12 pm
I found the diply post that is still working:
http://diply.com/creativeideas.....26394

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:30 pm
Sunny Spinach Pie

Ingredients:

Dough:

17 oz of flour
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt

Filling:

12 oz of boiled spinach
12 oz ricotta
1 egg
3 oz of grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
Bread crumbs

Instructions:

1-Place all dough ingredients in a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, knead until the dough is smooth and combined. Wrap in plastic while you make the filling.
2-To create the filling, mix the spinach with the ricotta.
Next, add your egg, Parmesan, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside briefly.
3-Unwrap your dough from the plastic and divide it into two equal parts.
4-Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to create two circles 30 cm in diameter each.
5-On your first circle, sprinkle breadcrumbs over-top to help absorb the moisture of the filling and to keep the dough dry.
6-Distribute the filling on the circle that was just sprinkled with breadcrumbs.
7-Place one large dollop at the center of the circle, and spread the remainder in a ring around the dough. See the picture below for reference.
Sunny Spinach Pie8-Sprinkle the filling with grated Parmesan.
9-Now, cover with the second circle of dough.

pic

10-Seal the edges with your hands, and then use a fork to press.
11-Place a small bowl in the middle of the pie and press lightly to make an indentation.

Use your fork to press lightly.

pic

12-Cut the dough into pieces approximately 2 cm thick, keeping it attached at the center. See the photo for reference.

pic

13-Twist each slice and continue until each slice is twisted.

pic

14-Bake the spinach pie at 180°C for 30 minutes or until golden

Yum! I can’t wait to entertain my guests with this amazing sunny spinach pie. It’ll be sure to brighten everyone’s day.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:52 pm
Now everyone has to post their pics and we can vote on the best.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
Now everyone has to post their pics and we can vote on the best.

not posting mine Very Happy I was too lazy to make the dough and the puff pastry definitely didn't come out nearly as nice. But it's still pretty cool!

myself

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 5:52 am
What's sprinkled on the centre? Sunflower seeds?

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 9:19 am
I made them in mini using 2 large flaky squares for each flower and a parve creamed spinach mixture. They came out quite nice! Thanks for the idea.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 7:04 am
rae gi wrote:
mandksima, you are world famous! I just spoke with DD in Israel and she heard about your recipe and is looking forward to making it. Chag Sameach.

You're so funny, maybe your dd was at my son's bar mitzvah or is one of my Facebook friends/friend of friends? It wasn't my made-up recipe though - so can't take credit for the cool idea.

I'm glad the fun idea got passed around! I'd love to see pictures! I keep making things and forgetting to take pictures before they are eaten!

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 11:34 pm
I'd love to hear from people how this worked out!

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 11:36 pm
My grandchildren really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing !

mandksima

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 4:43 am
Ohhhhh! It just hit me that this is so appropriate for Shavuot because of the flower shape and the inyan to bring flowers into the house. All this time I thought to post it under Shavuot because it was a dairy fancy recipe. Did everyone else think of that right away???

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:02 am
mandksima wrote:
Ohhhhh! It just hit me that this is so appropriate for Shavuot because of the flower shape and the inyan to bring flowers into the house. All this time I thought to post it under Shavuot because it was a dairy fancy recipe. Did everyone else think of that right away???

I made this and it was such a nice thing to have on the table. I improvised a broccoli filling because I had no spinach.

I also didn't think about flowers and Shavuos - but my kids automatically assumed it was a Shavuos flower!

I used the actual dough recipe here and it was a very easy dough to put together and very easy to work with.

mandksima

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:42 am
Simple1 wrote:
I made this and it was such a nice thing to have on the table. I improvised a broccoli filling because I had no spinach.

I also didn't think about flowers and Shavuos - but my kids automatically assumed it was a Shavuos flower!

I used the actual dough recipe here and it was a very easy dough to put together and very easy to work with.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics