Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Eye drops in public

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:47 am
I have seasonal allergies and need to carry eye drops in my purse this time of year. I sometimes need to drop a little while I'm out and about, and try to be discreet, but I don't go too far to do so because I never thought it could be a big deal. Today someone yelled at me that it's gross and u should find a private spot. I told her to myob and save it for the people who clip their nails in public. WDYT?

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:52 am
A private spot for eyedrops? Rolling Eyes Might as well find a private spot to eat. Or breathe.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:53 am
I travel on the NYC subways every day and see gross things. Enjoy your eye drops!

greenfire

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:08 pm
some people get grossed out by everything ... I would have proceeded to pick my nose after putting the eye drops in my eyes - so I can see if she's clearly looking Twisted Evil

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:30 pm
whoever objected was out of line.

I would caution you to wash your hands before putting in eye drops, though. it's smart to put them in near a sink for that reason. just basic hygiene. but it's not exactly a private action.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:20 pm
Sounds like she is grossly rude. As a fellow allergies sufferer, I say put in your eye drops whenever you need them.

anotherima

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:25 pm
I was once at a fancy restaurant with my husband and a man was sitting with his wife across from me flossing his teeth.

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:36 pm
anotherima wrote:
I was once at a fancy restaurant with my husband and a man was sitting with his wife across from me flossing his teeth.

I'm sorry but that is just NOT the same. Ewwww!

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:40 pm
I have allergies and put in eye drops, but always try to do it subtly... I think it's gross to just randomly throw back your head and put stuff in your eyes in public.

Just saying that tastes differ. I'm not grossed out by people cutting their nails. So every person's different.

I don't think you need to stop doing it but it could be it really bothered that woman. Just something to be aware of.

morah

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:45 pm
I think it's fine. I once saw someone clipping their TOENAILS on the subway, now THAT was gross. I had Lasik a few years ago and my eyes sometimes get a little dry and itchy, so I also sometimes need to use drops, and that's year-round. And a lot of people with contacts need to as well.

agreer

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:54 pm
I carry eye drops for dry eyes. I think that it is completely innocuous. It's not like flossing in public. It's more like using an inhaler or blowing your nose. Totally acceptable.

Some people are freaked out by eyes. They can't touch their eyeballs or put in lenses.

I think it's MUCH MORE disgusting to yell at someone you don't know, especially a stranger. How rude!

anotherima

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 4:08 pm
Just for the record, I think it is fine to put eye drops in your eyes in public although it would probably be better to wash your hands first but sometimes you just can't wait.
It just reminded me of something that I thought was really gross, flossing your teeth in a restaurant. I was tempted to bring him a glass and some mouthwash for the finishing touch. LOL!

seeker

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 7:19 pm
Some people need to put in eye drops very frequently due to their conditions. I would say it is mannerly to say excuse me and turn aside if you need to do it in middle of a conversation. But not necessary to go away to a private place or separate room.

mommyhood

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:24 pm
I really don't like watching people put in eye drops, somehow it creeps me out when I see it even though I myself put them in and have contacts. That said, I would just look away and wouldn't comment unless it was someone I was very close to that I knew would want to know it was bothering me.

Sherri

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:50 pm
seeker wrote:
Some people need to put in eye drops very frequently due to their conditions. I would say it is mannerly to say excuse me and turn aside if you need to do it in middle of a conversation. But not necessary to go away to a private place or separate room.
This.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 1:47 pm
Is a bathroom really so out of the way, for this kind of activity?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 10:46 pm
agreer wrote:
I carry eye drops for dry eyes. I think that it is completely innocuous. It's not like flossing in public. It's more like using an inhaler or blowing your nose. Totally acceptable.

Some people are freaked out by eyes. They can't touch their eyeballs or put in lenses.

I think it's MUCH MORE disgusting to yell at someone you don't know, especially a stranger. How rude!

The Chofetz Chaim says that embarrassing someone is worse than murder. You can only kill someone once, but embarrassment makes them feel like dying every time they think of it. I don't care if you were gargling yogurt, yelling at a random stranger is just WRONG!

(Just curious, how do you put in eyedrops without a mirror? I can't manage it unless I can see where I'm aiming.)

CP123

Post Sat, May 17 2014, 3:33 pm
I don't think anyone should criticize you for taking care of your health. If it needs to be done, you do it wherever is necessary!

Should a diabetic refrain from giving herself an insulin shot? Should an asthmatic refrain from using an inhaler in public? Never! I know this isn't as serious, but the point is the same - people are entitled to take care of themselves wherever they need to.

DrMom

Post Sat, May 17 2014, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
I have seasonal allergies and need to carry eye drops in my purse this time of year. I sometimes need to drop a little while I'm out and about, and try to be discreet, but I don't go too far to do so because I never thought it could be a big deal. Today someone yelled at me that it's gross and u should find a private spot. I told her to myob and save it for the people who clip their nails in public. WDYT?

What is so unthinkably "gross" about putting in eyedrops? What

Dina_B613

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 11:47 pm
It's like when you have a cold.. generally blowing your nose in public isn't necessarily the classiest thing to do, but when you're blowing it constantly, you can't just sit in the bathroom all day. Sure, I'd normally say go into a bathroom, but if you're in the city in a place where there are no public bathrooms, then I don't see what the problem is. It's not really gross - and she should have minded her own business.

One thing that kills me: people blowing their noses with their napkins, neither is digging around in your nose!! Not OK! Also-picking at your ears is disgusting. It's a BIG no-no.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette