Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you put a child with broken leg on plasma car?

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:46 pm
;my dc broke the leg and has a cast from thigh to toes; six weeks in a cast seems oppressive for an active child whose too young for a leg scooter or crutches; want to make dc more mobile in the house and if dc can go from wheelchair to couch to plasma car it just changes things up a bit; maybe even for school too;

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:47 pm
http://www.amazon.com/PlasmaCa.....ooter

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:49 pm
RS! You should check with the dr about the possible risk if he tips over onto that leg and what kind of muscle contraction is allowed (he will be contracting his muscles to keep his leg up). It's not a one size fits all question.

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:13 pm
I'm the op
what do you mean muscle contraction with keeping the leg up? my dc has to keep the leg up anyway if I elevate the foot. the doc said no direct pressure to the foot (no standing) and no getting it wet. Tipping over may be a concern but this would not be for outdoors it would be for indoors. getting from living room to dining room slowly and with supervision.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:17 pm
Is he allowed to hold the leg up himself or is he supposed to rely on a support? This is the equivalent of him holding it up himself. And I'm not sure that he would be able to control himself from putting weight on the leg in that position. Ask the doc Smile

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:27 pm
Thanks for replying MBV. I am just so beside myself at the thought of my child being so immobile. It's like a sentence of torture for the poor kid.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:22 pm
I'm sorry Sad one of the most difficult things for a parent is to be helpless to make things better for her child. Definitely worth finding out what all your options are so no one suffers unnecessarily.

Ashrei

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:55 pm
Mabelle, still wondering what you do, your answers are always awesome. I was just about to say "yeah sure why not, I would," but you brought up such good points, now I have to say, "listen to mabelle, and then I'd totally do it."

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 1:55 am
What abt a walker? I used that with a broken leg and it was a big help.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:13 am
I would not. That car is supposed to be used with the knees bent and feet right at the child's sides. The only way a cast could go on there would be sticking straight out in front of him, or hanging off to the side. It is likely to bump into things like that. More concerning, the cast weighs a few pounds, and would therefore make him heavier on one side and more likely to tip. He won't be able to use that foot to steady himself.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:25 am
Ashrei wrote:
Mabelle, still wondering what you do, your answers are always awesome. I was just about to say "yeah sure why not, I would," but you brought up such good points, now I have to say, "listen to mabelle, and then I'd totally do it."

Lol. Like I tell my kids, mommy knows everything Tongue Out

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:37 am
notshanarishona wrote:
What abt a walker? I used that with a broken leg and it was a big help.

dc canot put pressure at all on it. maybe later when she can.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:44 am
amother wrote:
dc canot put pressure at all on it. maybe later when she can.

My brother was in a cast from his toe to his thigh in either 3rd of 4th grade. He was in it for more than 6 weeks. Afterwards, he slowly changed to a variety of different casts: different sizes & positions (actually one went to the middle of his knee and kept it bent!) He used a walker with the first two casts because his foot weighed more than him and it was impossible for him to support it. (It was also waterproof: He wouldn't swim with it, but could float around in the pool with a tube, which is what he did all summer!).

I don't know how old your dc is, but my brother used the walker like one would crutches. He never put any pressure or weight on the foot. The walker was just easier for him to support himself and hop around with. After he could apply minimal weight he didn't need the walker because he had already become a pro at it.

I think that a plasma car is a bad idea. It looks dangerous, and it may tip over from the weight, which is a problem. Also, how will the child get into and off of the car? How old is the child?

BTW: After your dc starts feeling better, she will start naturally being more mobile. She'll become for "comfortable" with the cast and find unique ways to get around. Right now she is probably in a lot of pain (poor thing), but will get better with time.

Refuah Shalaima!

Liba

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:51 am
http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-F.....large how about something like this? They can scoot themselves around by pushing with their hands off the wall and furniture or lay on their belly and push with their hands. It might be fun and easier to play with things on that floor that way. A red wagon could work for outside.

Refuah shelayma!

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 7:55 am
My child is a preschooler. doc said he would normally give crutches but that dc is too young. doc did not give m e so many options. he either said she can be pushed in wheelchair or lifted everywhere. I'm feeling a little depressed.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 8:07 am
honestly I would be careful because I wouldn't want anything else breaking ...

p.s. if I recall you can get books & tapes packets for sick kids delivered from most libraries - call them to check

kids bounce back quickly ~ refuah shelaima !!!

SplitPea

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 8:08 am
I was one of those kids who injured myself a LOT I use a kids office type chair to get around. Sometimes with the help of a cane.
I
Pushed myself backward with the good leg and the cane

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/....._QL40 something like this with an adjustable height and arms

manhattanmom

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 8:13 am
Another NO for the plasma car. Just based on the position the hips are supposed to be while seated on it... not ideal for healing broken bones--you don't want to put extra strain on other muscles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics