Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anxiety and Panic Attacks in 3 Year old

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:13 am
My 4 year old had a terribly traumatic experience with a loose dog last week - Since then she has been having terrible anxiety and panic attacks. She has no appetite and even when she finally eats something she usually throws it all up a few min later. She wakes up a few times a night screaming from nightmares. She cries almost non-stop throughout the day and even in school she can hardly be distracted to play. All day she wants me to stand right next to her or hold her on my lap. I made an appointment to see a social worker but that will take a few weeks. Does anyone have any experience with a mental health issue with such a young children?

Lady Bug

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:15 am
Go to your pediatrician. He/she should be able to get you an appointment with someone good way sooner.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:18 am
op - I did but unfortunately he is having a very hard time finding someone good who treats very young children.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:44 am
Maybe this is stupid and I am no medic or shrink, but maybe buy her a stuffed dog? So she can throw it across the room and master it?

Maybe phone the owner of the dog. Have that person talk quietly to her and say he/she is very sorry and has punished the dog severely so it knows never to upset any children ever again.

That person could visit your house maybe. Without the dog.

If that really can't be done, maybe have someone impersonate the dog owner on the phone.

If the child doesn't want to hear it from them, and she may not, have her present while YOU talk to that person. Or an impersonator. Communicate to the child what is being said.

That the dog has been punished and will never do it again. Not to anybody. The owner is fully in charge and in power over this dog. And the owner is nice and is very angry at the dog. For acting bad.

The dog is no longer a force of nature, it has a master and has been subdued.

But certainly try for professional help. I am just trying to think of what might help in the meantime.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:49 am
This child needs immediate care. She is nebach suffering.

I would hold her and rub her soothingly a lot.

I would do some art with her. Put down some crayons and markers sit very close to her or have her on your lap and tell her to draw a picure. Reflect what you see. Don't suggest or compliment. Try to get a sense of what she is feeling as she draws and reflect calmly on that. Often after a couple of these art sessions the child will be able to process the trauma. Be very gentle with your feedback.

I would educate her. I would say you are very scared now because of what happened. Your body needs time to heal. With time you will feel better just like you felt before. Meanwhile mommy or daddy will be near you.

I would try to empower her. Any small task she is willing to do notice it. Give her choices and notice how she made a decision. Remind her of all the skills she knows and review them such as abc.

Distraction helps. Games, dolls, a walk outside, going to the park. For short periods of time and always being near her.

Tell her a story. About a girl who got very frightened and thought she would always remain so. But she did get better and go more into detail.

Anon bec I'm a therapist and want to stay anon.

chani8

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 3:42 am
Do a quick EMDR session on her.

While she is hysterical, take a colorful toy, tell her to look at it and hold her head still but watch the toy with her eyes. Move the toy back and forth in front of her.

See this example at 2min in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpRQvcW2kUM

Do it until she calms and then stop. Likely her trauma will be resolved after even just one session.

5*Mom

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 6:05 am
chani8 wrote:
Do a quick EMDR session on her.

While she is hysterical, take a colorful toy, tell her to look at it and hold her head still but watch the toy with her eyes. Move the toy back and forth in front of her.

See this example at 2min in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpRQvcW2kUM

Do it until she calms and then stop. Likely her trauma will be resolved after even just one session.

OP, I know this sounds wonky but there are government studies demonstrating the efficacy of EMDR for acute post traumatic stress (anxiety, panic) and this is used in VA hospitals on military veterans for PTSD. It is known to be safe and gentle and you really have nothing to lose by trying this while you wait.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)