Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Did alternative treatments work for you ADHD child?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:54 am
I would think that the initial visit would need to be in person, but I'm sure after that phone could work.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:09 am
It makes sense, but how do you know that whatever powder or capsule or thing this unlicensed person is 'prescribing' is even safe? Scary!!

Anyway I'd be interested in knowing if your person ever visits NY... It's like a jungle out here....

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:14 am
She would never go to NY, lol. If you knew her, you'd laugh too :-)
You know me IRL, Seeker. Don't you know by now that I researched EVERYTHING she gave us??

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:44 am
I was thrown off when you said "a powder that she gave me," lol. So you would go to a np, pay their ransom, get their recommendation, and then research it yourself before going ahead with it? Wow...sigh.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:49 am
I didn't read all the replies.
I have 2 ADHD adult sons.
Don't waste precious time. Each day your child isn't correctly medicated is torture for the child.
Don't waste time on magic - it doesn't work except for your own psychological sanity.
Ritalin saved my sons lives & their yiddishkeit.

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:13 am
amother wrote:
I was diagnosed with autism at 2 after a bad reaction to vaccines, and then downgraded to ADHD at 7. I am completely under control without medication and was never on medication. I was strictly on the feingold diet, no cheating. I was taught from a very young age never to take food from anyone other than my parents and from around 5, I didn't. I also went to Dr. d!ck Moskowitz in Mass. for homeopathic treatments a couple of times. I took fish oil and acidophilus, had limited screen time and got lots of fresh air and sunshine. I finished high school 3 years early, did well in college, got married, have a b"H bli ayin hara beautiful family, I am very active in my community and I have a great social life, and it is all thanks to my parents who didn't give up on me. Who worked with me and my limitations, and taught me to behave in the way I could learn, not in the way everyone else learns.

It's also going to depend on how much of a priority this is to you. Going the alternative route is a lot of work for both you and your child. But it's worth it.

Do you think that all of this was a result of natural treatment, or rather the result of having been treated at all?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:57 pm
imaima wrote:
Do you think that all of this was a result of natural treatment, or rather the result of having been treated at all?

All of the treatments I got were natural. I was never on Ritalin. So obviously it was a result of natural treatment.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't read all the replies.
I have 2 ADHD adult sons.
Don't waste precious time. Each day your child isn't correctly medicated is torture for the child.
Don't waste time on magic - it doesn't work except for your own psychological sanity.
Ritalin saved my sons lives & their yiddishkeit.

Md wanted to put my son meds , a diet solved most problems with no side effects.

1. urine test , result showed toxins , high adrenalin etc. 2. no casein & lactose ( most dairy) no soy, no wheat,

Dov Wiedenbaum in Monsey guided us

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
Md wanted to put my son meds , a diet solved most problems with no side effects

Details?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
All of the treatments I got were natural. I was never on Ritalin. So obviously it was a result of natural treatment.

Working in education for a number of years, I have seen students who seem to "outgrow" their adhd, especially girls. I think they learn to compensate or learn compemsatory strategies to help them. My sister struggled terribly in grade school. She had poor grades and was a disorganized mess. She had a temper and I remember her threatening me with a knife. She was never medicated and my mom never did any dietary changes.
By the time she got to college she was a great student. She learned how to compensate and learned how to study on her own. She still loses things and isnt extremely organized, but she is managing fine.and doesnt threaten anyone with knives.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
Md wanted to put my son meds , a diet solved most problems with no side effects

Then he didn't have ADHD to begin with

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:56 pm
amother wrote:
Then he didn't have ADHD to begin with

I guess that depends how you define ADHD. Generally, ADHD is diagnosed based on behaviors. There are some pretty good theories about the underlying mechanisms but nothing completely solid AFAIK. So this child could have had as much ADHD as any member of this thread whose child has been diagnosed with same, and therefore their experiences are absolutely relevant.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 11:04 pm
seeker wrote:
I guess that depends how you define ADHD. Generally, ADHD is diagnosed based on behaviors. There are some pretty good theories about the underlying mechanisms but nothing completely solid AFAIK. So this child could have had as much ADHD as any member of this thread whose child has been diagnosed with same, and therefore their experiences are absolutely relevant.

There's a proper medical protocol for diagnosis. Medication should not be prescribed without it.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Working in education for a number of years, I have seen students who seem to "outgrow" their adhd, especially girls. I think they learn to compensate or learn compemsatory strategies to help them. My sister struggled terribly in grade school. She had poor grades and was a disorganized mess. She had a temper and I remember her threatening me with a knife. She was never medicated and my mom never did any dietary changes.
By the time she got to college she was a great student. She learned how to compensate and learned how to study on her own. She still loses things and isnt extremely organized, but she is managing fine.and doesnt threaten anyone with knives.

Working in education for a number of years too. I don't know how many students outgrow ADHD with no intervention. But I have seen very many people who suffer for years or forever because of early experiences with untreated ADHD. (I don't mean necessarily medical treatment; could be various routes, but UNtreated imho is way too risky) The poor grades and classroom behavior may not matter in adulthood but the overall feeling of incompetence that leads to and poor cognitive/emotional habits are extremely hard to shake. ADHD can lead to depression, anxiety, and other similar conditions, which can become a big part of your life even IF the ADHD manages to disappear - which evidence does suggest happens for a significant percentage of people. My point is not that you can't outgrow ADHD; my point is that even if it is outgrown eventually that doesn't mean it's not worth treating at the time that it's causing problems. The potential ramifications are endless. What about their college/career/shidduch prospects that are based on an image and self-image that was shaped by ADHD? Is your sister in college now - you say "by the time she got to college." I found college was almost a piece of cake compared to both elementary school and - and especially - motherhood. She's darn lucky her temper has abated (for now. Show her to us 6 months after having a baby and then I'll be convinced) but for most people, temper becomes a habit that is extremely hard to unlearn.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
There's a proper medical protocol for diagnosis. Medication should not be prescribed without it.

IME Medication is nearly always prescribed based on a person's behaviors being consistent with ADHD symptoms. I am pretty sure the proper medical protocol doesn't involve first doing dietary changes to make sure it's "real" ADHD and not just hyper/imulsive/distracted behavior due to digestive inflammation or sugar levels or candida or whatever. I have worked with many kids at various stages of the diagnosis and medication process and have never seen anything more scientific than that.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:

Per the CDC, no blood test or brain scan needed or recommended:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.html
Completely behavior-based. No specification whether diet can improve the behaviors or not. If you have those behaviors, you can have your diagnosis. Now go tell the person who had these behaviors and found them relieved after dietary changes that they didn't have ADHD in the first place. Can you prove it?

PS yes I do believe that different people's ADHD can stem from different sources, with some having more inborn components and others perhaps more environmentally influenced. Maybe some day it will come out that there is a "real" ADHD and an "acquired" or something ADHD. But as of now, that isn't the case.

imaima

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 2:07 am
amother wrote:

I understand that you cannot answer that. But I wonder if the same results are achievable on medication, or it is davka because the treatment was natural.

imaima

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 2:12 am
amother wrote:

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You make it seem like medication is an ultimate evil that needs to be avoided and ADHD is something you can work around. Why is it not the other way round? Why is it bad to give someone medication and help them be a great student, not forget and lose things, be organized and save the child from struggles in grade school and the family from agmas nefesh?

markmywords

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:31 am
To my knowledge, ADHD is caused by a problem in the prefrontal cortex of the brain.
Though some behaviors (that are fully resolved with food adjustments) can resemble those exhibited by people with ADHD, those similarities do not make it ADHD.
That's not to say that food adjustments won't alleviate some ADHD symptoms.
Food coloring had been found to exacerbate symptoms.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:13 am
amother wrote:

Probably. But I never saw someone 'outgrow' autism without treatment of some sort, natural or otherwise.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)