Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Defrosting a frozen meal in the crockpot

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 12:15 pm
Has anyone ever done it? I want to put cooked meatballs in sauce in the crockpot in the morning so that it will be defrosted and warm for lunch.

Has anyone ever done this? Will it work? How long and what temp do I do it for? I can put it in as early as 7am and it will be turned off at 1:30pm.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 12:45 pm
Well, after no answers from Google or Imamother, I decided to just go ahead and wing it and the results were GREAT!

I took a solid chunk of meatballs in sauce, plunked it directly into the crockpot (no added water) and let it go on low for about 5 hours. It was warm and perfect and ready to eat.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 1:25 am
I saw it too late, but "they" say you aren't supposed to do it because of having the food at room temperature too long (doesn't get hot fast enough). Also you have to be careful with cold / frozen stuff in the crock and the crock gets hot too fast because it can crack your insert.

That said, I've done it (but a whole frozen chicken in, filled with water, and made soup).

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 1:36 am
Oh. Whoops.

I guess I can prevent the cracking issue by putting in a little water next time. As far as room temp...do you think it helps that the food was cooked first?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics