Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Stovetop chicken?

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:17 am
So, I'm out of shnitzel and I can't use my oven.
Any recipes for chicken legs cooked or seared in a pan? I would love to hear ideas that include sides (I was planning on making a one-pot chicken dinner but I needed my oven for that).
Thanks in advance!

rosey

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:31 am
I don't know how your kids feel about tumeric, but I make a dish from Levana's cookbook Whole Foods. It's basically a one pot dinner I serve with couscous or rice.

Here's the link
http://www.levanacooks.com/one.....ions/

Here's the recipe. I just included one ingredient, but she lists a ton on the website, I've made carrots, and potatoes (separately, and I think together) and we love it around here. Oh, I usually only make it with 2-4 legs, but I keep the liquid/tumeric amounts the same, since when I tried to halve it boiled out. Rolling Eyes
Good luck

CHICKEN AND CELERY

Ingredients:

8 serving pieces chicken (I count 2 pieces per person, for example: 6 thighs, 6 drumsticks, 4 half breasts—16 pieces total for 8 people), with skin on
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 whole bunches celery, ribs peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks, or 2 large heads celery root, peeled and cut into inch cubes
3 cups water

Instructions:

Place all ingredients in a wide heavy pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the flame to medium and cook covered for about 1 hour.
Transfer the chicken pieces onto a platter. If the sauce is not thick enough, reduce it on a high flame, uncovered, just a few minutes until it reaches the consistency of maple syrup. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.

- See more at: http://www.levanacooks.com/one......dpuf

Pineapple

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:33 am
Most recipes for chicken that need to be baked can be made on the stove

kb

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:34 am
I mentioned this recipe a while ago, but finally going to post it.

Quick one-pot chicken and rice (crockpot)
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced into rounds)
4 chicken bottoms
3 Tbsp honey

Place rice, 2 cups water, and spices in the slow cooker. Us a spoon to stir and combine. Top with the chicken and sweet potatoes, arranging it all to fit on one layer. Drizzle with honey.
Cook on high for 1-3 hours, add the last cup of water as needed. You can add more water if the rice seems to be getting dry
cook for an additional 6-8 hours on medium low

My comments: the rice was amazing, the chicken tasted so so... I'll probably try this recipe again one day, and then I think I'd sprinkle some spices on the chicken too to give it more flavor. (I don't like chicken that tastes like chicken! But all in all, I made this recipe for my family - 2 adults, 2 kids - and it all got eaten. A sign of a good supper.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:19 pm
This is one of my favorite recipes. I've made it completely on the stove many times.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

greenfire

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:31 pm
potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic diced & sliced

put cleaned/skinned chicken atop with a little olive oil & spices: paprika, garlic powder, black pepper

cook on medium flame uncovered ...

when the natural juices start to evaporate - add a little water - cover & put the flame on low

all in one pot ... voila

busydev

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:36 pm
if you like soft chicken (like soup chicken) this one is great:

Pepper Chicken

Chicken
Bell Peppers (diff colors do enhance the flavor)
Onion
Paprika
Oil
Water

Clean the chicken- leave the skin on.
Rub paprika over the chicken.
Heat oil in a pan.
Sear chicken in oil for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown, first top down and then bottom down.
Cut peppers and onions into strips.
Lower flame and place onion and peppers on top of the chicken.
add water until the chicken is 2/3 covered.
Cover and cook at a simmer for 1.5 hours.
Enjoy.

mol

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:37 pm
put sliced onions ont the bottom. add chicken. pour a jar of marinara on top. cook on a low flame for 1 1/2 hrs. yum!!

chani8

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:39 pm
A super easy recipe is to throw the chicken in with a can of pineapples, some fresh garlic and fresh ginger, and carrots.

Our favorite is chicken boiled in coconut milk, with lots of fresh spices: ginger, turmeric, garlic, onion, and coriander. With carrots and zucchini.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 12:41 pm
stir fry chicken

spanish chicken

sweet & sour chicken

along with a pot of rice

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 3:02 pm
Thanks to everyone who responded!
So, I didn't mention in my OP that dinnertime was only an hour and a half away... so that did away with a lot of crockpot recipes. I ended up relying on Pineapple's suggestion and made an oven recipe on the stove. It actually came out pretty good, even though I was experimenting with time.
I cut an onion and sauteed it in oil.
Spiced two chicken legs with paprika, garlic powder, steak seasoning and salt.
Added chicken and cubed sweet potatoes to the onion and covered, lowering the flame.
Cooked for around 1 hour- 1 and 1/4 hours covered. I turned the chicken after around half an hour.
The chicken was great, although the potatoes were a bit oily. Would love to try one of the other recipes.

queenert

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:10 pm
Just made this and enjoyed it!
I love mushy rice but even dh who doesn't really liked it.

I used butternut squash because the sweet potatoes were pathetically small and supremely expensive where I went.

I would save half the salt to sprinkle directly on the chicken. Like kb wrote, it's a little bland. I also found the rice too salty so it's a good fix.

I cooked it for 4 hours on high and only had to add a little water at the end.

kb wrote:
I mentioned this recipe a while ago, but finally going to post it.

Quick one-pot chicken and rice (crockpot)
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced into rounds)
4 chicken bottoms
3 Tbsp honey

Place rice, 2 cups water, and spices in the slow cooker. Us a spoon to stir and combine. Top with the chicken and sweet potatoes, arranging it all to fit on one layer. Drizzle with honey.
Cook on high for 1-3 hours, add the last cup of water as needed. You can add more water if the rice seems to be getting dry
cook for an additional 6-8 hours on medium low

My comments: the rice was amazing, the chicken tasted so so... I'll probably try this recipe again one day, and then I think I'd sprinkle some spices on the chicken too to give it more flavor. (I don't like chicken that tastes like chicken! But all in all, I made this recipe for my family - 2 adults, 2 kids - and it all got eaten. A sign of a good supper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey