Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Creative gifts for camp staff

cs1

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:37 am
Does anyone have any ideas for a cute/creative gift that I can give my staff?
I have about 65 summer camp employees, and need an erev shabbos gift for them.

I give them a wednesday nosh gift at the weekly meeting (for example, a bag of potato stix and I made these really cute color postcards with their name that says "When I see a camper STICKING to her counselor, that's the best proof of your dedication. Thanks for all your hard work this week!" etc.)

I also take the staff out at the end of the summer to a restaurant and give them a nice gift.

Now I need an erev shabbos gift that I can present to the staff at the camp shabbos party. I can't spend more than $1 each per person. In the past, I've given an umbrella, note pad, frame, lottery ticket, bag, mirror, back scratcher etc. I'll always attach a cute liner to the gift. But ive exhausted the dollar store and amazing savings near us....

Has anyone ever received a creative gift (remember, I need 65 each) or something cute that I can give to my staff? I'm giving a nosh on wednesday, so not sure I can give another nosh.

TIA!!

fellow jew

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:52 am
I like anything with potpourri; like maybe a sachet or something to freshen up a room. I don't know if that's in your budget, they may be more like $3 a piece for something decent, but maybe you may get lucky and find something within your budget if you're buying by bulk.

A nice notebook, maybe with the heavy duty wiring and designed hard cover is another idea. This is a very versatile gift. It can be used for a diary, the counselors can use it to plan special activities, or to jot down info pertaining to their job. Alternatively, the high school girls are very into taking notes in cool notebooks.. it can be used for just about anything.

Maybe you can find a nice memo cube, something that looks substantial... Try to stretch your dollar so it looks more than you paid for it and try to stay away from the typical pen, pad, freebie ideas..

Good Luck!

watergirl

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:55 am
Are these gifts for the end of camp or for the beginning of the season? If it's for the beginning of camp get see-through or wooden clipboards and then you could paint their names on. It's a functional gift that will use all summer.

Liebs

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 11:55 am
Some kind of magnet...your magnetic personality ...
mug of some sort... it never gets muggy with u around
toothbrush....a breath of fresh air
those cups for ice coffees...you make camp so chilled....

cs1

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:47 am
watergirl, this is a weekly erev shabbos gift.
liebs, your ideas were cute! I like the magnet and the mug, though I already gave a cup last year..

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 12:30 pm
Not sure they need cutesy or odd tchotchkes cluttering the house Wink

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:08 pm
Have these gifts been well-received in the past?

Several of my kids are working or have worked in the past as camp counselors, and my guess is that cheap mugs, magnets or dollar-store items would be in the trash before they made it home. But different kids, different communities, perhaps different tastes and appreciations.

It sounds like you're shelling out about $100 a week on the dollar-store items and snacks. Would they appreciate a blow-out mid-summer staff bbq instead? You could also probably do a customized tee shirt for the staff for what you're spending over the course of the summer.

But otherwise, all I can think of are bookmarks, playing cards, pens, maybe a hair doo-dad if you buy in bulk and divide it up, or scented tea lights (ditto).

cs1

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 2:38 pm
That's my problem.
Im a very practical person so extra junk in the house is just not up my alley.

A nosh during the week is always appreciated.
We go to a restaurant once a month, and im going to give a duffel bag with our logo at the end of the summer.

Thats why I am looking for something creative for friday.
should I just give them a soda? Or just a plain note.

pumpernickle

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 2:59 pm
How about a water bottle? Or a wallet or drink canteen that comes with a string they can carry at all times? Or a little wristlet.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 3:06 pm
how old is the staff?

honestly, I'd give out good donuts. no need to give out dinky items. hot chocolate might go over well too.

cs1

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 3:18 pm
Actually, I was jusr discussing this with dh and told him that I'd probably give a donut.

can I give a donut every friday? Alot of my staff are diet conscious girls...

Thanks for all your replies

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 3:27 pm
cs1 wrote:
Actually, I was jusr discussing this with dh and told him that I'd probably give a donut.

can I give a donut every friday? Alot of my staff are diet conscious girls...

Thanks for all your replies

I think a donut as a pre-shabbos treat is perfect. many diet-conscious girls will cheat with a donut once a week. you can have real fruit ices available for those who don't want a donut. give the girls order forms in the beginning of the week so you can give them what they want?

cs1

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:13 pm
Nah, not giving an order form. Im not having them choose a gift.
Real Ices is a great idea too!
Thanks mummydearest.
I can alternate between milichig ice cream, and a donut!
(I have a thank you ceremony at the shabbos party. Do you think our campers will be super jealous if the staff are all eating this in their faces?) There is no way to give the gift when our campers are not there.
our campers are all aware that it's a thank you gift for the hard work found that week
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics