Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How many courses do you serve on long Fri nights
1  2  Next

avi0903

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 6:51 am
Hi - During the winter months we do fish, salad, soup, chicken, kugel, rice, vegs, dessert. But now that the Friday nights are so late, I'm always faced with the dilemma of how long do we want the meal to go? Do we want to be eating a heavy meal till 11:00PM or later?

But then, if I only do a fish course and a soup course, I feel like I'm somehow not serving a complete Shabbos meal. Some of the kids (and DH) prefer finishing quick and going to bed. Some of the kids (and myself) prefer a long Shabbos meal.

I guess whoever wants to can bentch and go to bed, and the rest of us can stay at the table.

What do the rest of you do? Thanks!

Pineapple

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 6:56 am
Fish/dips

Chicken/farfel/kugel/vegetables

If we want a long meal we talk

Raisin

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 6:58 am
I always serve a main course. (chicken and sides) sometimes we have fish, sometimes soup, very rarely both. and dessert.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 6:58 am
Usually two- fish and salads, main and sides. Whoever wants to linger can, whoever wants to wander can.

Beyla

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:05 am
Well, here shabbos is very very late, and we cancelled the soup some weeks ago. We do dips/fish and then meat and then dessert. Takes a long time already just for that bh.

grace413

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:07 am
Same thing all year round: soup, chicken, fresh veggie salad, and a carb. Dessert if there's company.

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:07 am
If we aren't having guests (typically we don't when shabbos is so late) we have fish, salads, dips & sushi, followed by chicken soup & desert.
Sometimes if our yeshiva bochurim are home I will bring out kugel too.
But we never eat this much on a weeknight & to eat so late as well is really unhealthy.
We do this on short shabbosim too.
Day seudas are big though & we usually have guests.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:09 am
Nothing changes in the summer. We eat the same-
Dips
Fish
Soup
Chicken/ ferfel/ kugal
Sweets

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:22 am
I only serve soup in the cooler months (September through March) and I don't serve a fish course (I don't care for it) or salad course (I serve salad alongside the entree) ever. I also don't do dips (I don't understand filling up on challah and oftentimes fattening and minimally nutritious food)
So in the cooler months it's:
Challah
Soup
Entree and sides
Dessert

And in the warmer months
Challah
Entree and sides
Dessert

No one has ever gone hungry

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:26 am
We don't like to eat so late, so have challa with dips/ salad, then chicken with veg. No one eats dessert and mostly we would be happy without the main course, but have it lichvod shabbos.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:29 am
I think it is odd that on shabbos when we are supposed to eat nicer meals a lot of people seem to make meals out of starters and sides. Sushi is great but its a starter to me. Ditto with chicken soup and gefilta fish.

abaker

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:39 am
we have little kids who aren't up for the meal since dh doesn't get home from shul until about 9:15 (litch bentching isn't until 9pm here...and we make "early shabbos" dh goes to shul at 8)....so we have challah, chicken, & sides friday night lately. shabbos lunch we have lots of salads and dips a main course and fruit/dessert. so we pretty much just have 1 course friday night, thats what works best for us. Smile

mha3484

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:44 am
DH likes to eat a bit of each course so I make fish/salads/dip soup and main. I only usually eat the main and occasionally some salad and fish.

It's been nice to make a bit more and have leftovers the past few weeks.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:01 am
In the summer I do challah, fish and soup. Anyone who wants is welcome to some of the food meant for shabbos lunch. But were all tired and falling asleep in the fish.

Queen6

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:05 am
Make early Shabbos - what a game changer.
The thing I pull out first is soup. I think that's what drags the meal out.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:15 am
Chicken soup with croutons in our house is a must. The kids love it!
We never have fish Friday night - we save that for lunch.
Then chicken and kugel, and by that time everyone is falling asleep, so sometimes we'll just skip dessert and bench -FAST!

chani8

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:16 am
Challah, chicken and sides, cookies. And then a walk.

suzyq

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:28 am
We don't have guests on Friday nights since we are just too tired. We usually have challah and some kind of main dish (sometimes take out). Then we go to bed.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 9:09 am
I serve chicken soup on Friday night. With chicken, veggies, noodles, and the works. The only other "course" is challah, with chummos if someone wants. In the summer we serve challah, soup, & main (meat + a starch usually).

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 9:38 am
If I am awake friday night (I fall asleep with the kids most of the time!), we have challah, chicken, a side dish and that's about it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note