Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Wrapping melon in smoked salmon: how to make it look good?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 6:57 am
For appetizers for Shabbat lunch (10 people) tomorrow, I'm planning to have melon slices wrapped in smoked salmon, probably drizzled with a lime juice/honey mixture and garnished with dill.

My problem: I haven't bought the melon yet because it has been a crazy week, and I can never buy a ripe honeydew, but if I buy a cantaloupe, won't the cantaloupe wrapped with smoked salmon look awful because there will be two different shades of orange?

I know this is not the biggest problem in the world, but I do want my table to look nice!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mamitaly

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 7:04 am
You could use a "zucchini emptier" to cut cylinders out of the melon, wrap the s.s. around it and "tie" with a leaf of arugula salad, the green would set off the orange nicely.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 7:48 am
That is a nice idea! Six of the ten are children who probably will not like arugula, but hopefully they can just slip the melon and smoked salmon out of the arugula, and the table will still look nice.

Thanks!

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 8:54 am
So I like melon, and I like smoked lox, and I like smoked lox and arugula, and I like melon and arugula.

But, I am not sure if lox with melon sounds so appetizing. Maybe it's just me?

Anyway, sounds like you set a very fancy table.

oliveoil

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 9:02 am
ectomorph wrote:
So I like melon, and I like smoked lox, and I like smoked lox and arugula, and I like melon and arugula.

But, I am not sure if lox with melon sounds so appetizing. Maybe it's just me?

Anyway, sounds like you set a very fancy table.

I agree. The combination of melon and smoked salmon sounds a little disturbing.

naomi2

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 12:52 pm
squares wrapped up and peirced with toothpicks but I'm not sure about the fish/mellon combo....

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 1:00 pm
Honeydew and smoked salmon is often served together. It's a common combination although I never tried it. I don't know how cantaloupe would taste like... Let us know!

greenfire

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 1:01 pm
hey let us know how it turns out ... you might need some tequilla with lime to mellow the taste

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 6:41 pm
Different strokes for different folks, but the thread title made me wince. I would never want to eat that combo.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 12:29 am
This is a take off of prosciutto and melon. Same principle as watermelon and salt. Prosciutto is salt cured, dried pork, not unlike beef bresaola which can be made kosher. Personally, I'd rather wrap smoked salmon with asparAgus, avocado or something like that.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 9:41 am
I didn't have a chance to revisit this thread after Friday morning. When I went to the supermarket, I saw a package of naturally smoked wild Atlantic salmon (cured with salt, smoked over woodsmoke, no nitrates/nitrites) that was a kind of dark, beet red. I bought a cantaloupe that turned out to be yellow-orange inside. So it turned out to be a good color combination. I wound up draping the smoked salmon over the melon rather than rolling it just because I wanted to go to shul and had to rush with preparations afterward. I decorated with slices of Kirbee cucumber on the border of the plate.

As far as the taste combination: I happen to like the interplay of sweet and salty. There are a whole lot of flavors going on here, actually: smoked salmon has a kind of umami taste in addition to the saltiness, and cantaloupe isn't just sweet; there's an earthiness as well. I thought the Kirbee cucumber helped balance it. The adults loved it. A few of the kids tossed the smoked salmon and just ate the melon and cucumbers. That's fine. It's good to expose kids to different combinations and different tastes; it helps broaden their palates in the long run.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 9:47 am
Oh, and I couldn't find my lime juice or honey yesterday. So instead I mixed together maple syrup and lemon juice and drizzled that over the melon/smoked salmon. There was tons of maple syrup/lemon juice mixture left over, so I mixed it with a little bit of olive oil and used that for dressing for the salad (butter leaf lettuce / radicchio / those little red and yellow oddly-shaped tomatoes). It was a nice combination!

And I had plenty of kid-friendly food around like fried chicken and meatballs and spaghetti, so it's not like the kids suffered from the melon/smoked salmon appetizer!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus