Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Share your basic Shabbos menus!
Previous  1  2  3

smss

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 4:46 pm
soproud wrote:

*carrot/sweet potato kugel- I concoted my own recipe because I like healthy kugels, not sugary ones. My kids love it.

would love the recipe!

Hatemywig

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 5:07 pm
Friday Night:

Challah (sometimes home-made)

Boiled or Baked Gefilte Fish
Potato Salad
Fresh Salad
If there are guests I'll make one or two more salads: Hummus, Techina, Chatzilim, Broccoli, lettuce etc....

Roast Chicken - varying sauces, Potato Kugel, Roast Zucchini Wedges or Sweet Potato Squares

Dessert if we have guests - Chocolate Cake or some other form of cake or cookie

Shabbos day:

Fish and Salads
Yahptzik or Rice and meat

Emily Thorne

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 5:55 pm
actually salmon WAS a staple in ''der heim''. but wtvr... and regarding eggplant (I see it bothers you that I have eggplant on my shabbos table) its my mil recipe. she's yerushalmi

goodmorning

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 6:06 pm
Scotty wrote:
NIGHT
challah (freezer, baked, or store, depending on the week)
hummus & tahini (store bought/freezer), dill dip (huge container in fridge)
oven gefilte fish or broiled half baby salmon
salads - MADE ON SHABBOS (I keep huge containers of dressing for months at a time in fridge)
soup
9x13 of baked chicken with sweet potatoes
salads from first course or mix-in-pan broccoli kugel (time permitting) OR baked acorn squash
dessert from freezer- cake or sorbet, etc, fruit/watermelon

DAY
challah, dips, and salad as above (most made on shabbos)
deviled eggs (made on shabbos from hard boiled eggs)
liver salad (made on shabbos)

cholent with mushrooms - crockpot

dessert from freezer (I make icecream or whatever once in a while, or make a mix-in-the-pan chocolate cake in 10 mins before shabbos)
watermelon

beer if we have lots of bochurim.

SHALOSH SEUDOS
leftover salads, challah, fish
fruit

What is cholent with mushrooms?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 6:41 pm
sgmama wrote:
actually salmon WAS a staple in ''der heim''. but wtvr... and regarding eggplant (I see it bothers you that I have eggplant on my shabbos table) its my mil recipe. she's yerushalmi
your grandmother may have served salmon, but your great and great great grandmothers likely served carp and other local fish in der heim.
As for eggplant, unless your mother in law and her family are sefardi, they likely picked up eggplant for their Shabbos table once they came to israel, as eggplant was brought by the sefardim to israel and they started planting it there.
So it's great that you have minhagim, but it's also important to know which things are actual minhagim and which are nice add ons Smile

pause

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 6:49 pm
NIGHT
challah from the freezer
cooked fish
chicken soup
chicken from the soup
If I have time: kugel and ferfel, if not we buy

DAY
same challah
same fish
eggs from the cholent
cholent with kishke from the freezer

It takes me a total of 45 minutes to prepare all of this.

SJcookie

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 7:01 pm
When it's just us...
the bare minimum is -

Dinner:
challah (usually homemade. sometimes store bought)
a lot of dips
salad
fish
drinks: 1 fruit drink, 1 diet soda, and water.
dessert: fruit & tea

Lunch:
same as dinner Very Happy

We're not big meat/chicken eaters. I'll often make a few sides like string beans, broccoli, potatoes, etc. for dinner. And will make a vegetarian cholent for lunch. But that's the basic menu.
When we have guests, I always serve chicken + at least 2 sides for dinner. And cholent, chicken, a side dish for lunch. Dessert is cake or cookies + fruit.

soproud

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 7:15 pm
Ok here is my kugel recipe that some of you asked for.
I'll do my best because I'm a throw-it-all-together kind of cook so no real exact measurements.
A couple disclaimers: 1) this is on my "lazy shabbos" menu so I may or may not have served it to guests. Make it for your own family before serving formally.
2) this kugel comes out a bit souffle-like, so I've never cared to add a bit of flour but you may want to.

-Just under a kilo of carrots, or sweet potato, pumpkin or squash (carrots are sweetest). Cook until soft, drain water and puree carrots. You'll need around 2-3 cups of this for the recipe.
-Peel and slice around 3 apples, spill out the juice and KEEP it! We love to drink it. Puree the apples, add around 1/2 cup to carrots.
(This is my homemade applesauce! Never tried freezing it because it always gets finished. I say give it a try and see.)
Back to the kugel-
-add around 1/2 cup of sweetener. I use rice syrup but anything will work.
-Add a nice sprinkle of cinnamon, bit of nutmeg, allspice, ginger if you want.
-When cooled, add an egg, mix it all really well and pour into a greased pie dish. Bake on 350 or 375 for maybe half hour or 45 minutes? We like when the edges get a bit browned and crispy.

I never tried this but I'm sure a bit of pineapple or pecans would add a nice touch.

Enjoy!

zohar

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 8:08 pm
sgmama.
My dh would love your heimishe meal! I too have a traditional meal, but not as elaborate as yours.

Fri night:
Store bought challah and dips
arbis and bundlach - store bought
Gefilta fish
purple cabbage salad
If guests or special occasion- salmon
chicken soup w/ lukshen
chicken - dif. recipes
potato kugel
ferfel
tzimmis - usually
salt & pepper kugel on special occasion.
dessert- usually apples and/or grapes or compote on special occasions

Day meal:
Store bought challah and dips
Gefilta fish
purple cabbage salad
If guests or special occasion- salmon
eggs
store bought liver and gala
if guests-salad
cholent
usually no desssert unless guest.

I try to double/triple so that I'm either making ferfel, kugel or tzimmis but rarely all three. Also dh makes cholent and pot. kugel.

Emily Thorne

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
your grandmother may have served salmon, but your great and great great grandmothers likely served carp and other local fish in der heim.
As for eggplant, unless your mother in law and her family are sefardi, they likely picked up eggplant for their Shabbos table once they came to israel, as eggplant was brought by the sefardim to israel and they started planting it there.
So it's great that you have minhagim, but it's also important to know which things are actual minhagim and which are nice add ons Smile

I see your getting the wrong impression of what I meant. I didnt say that its a must to eat salmon and eggplant! when I wrote about not changing the menu I meant having by the shabbos day seudah sushi and cream cheese as other amothers wrote. huge different between adding dishes to your shabbos meal to totally changing it to milchigs and not even having the basic traditional dishes

Emily Thorne

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:36 pm
on a lighter note, I spoke to a client of mine a few weeks ago thinking the whole time she is an italian catholic. anyways as we spoke she brought up the fact that she is half jewish as her mother is jewish. so I asked her if they keep anything. she was like "sure! every passover and yom kippur our family makes a meal with all the traditional food. we have challah and chicken soup with matzo balls!"... I was like shock shock

Emily Thorne

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:38 pm
[quote="zohar"]sgmama.
My dh would love your heimishe meal! I too have a traditional meal, but not as elaborate as yours.

thank you! your always welcome. when you come to boro park you know where to come

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:53 pm
sgmama wrote:
I see your getting the wrong impression of what I meant. I didnt say that its a must to eat salmon and eggplant! when I wrote about not changing the menu I meant having by the shabbos day seudah sushi and cream cheese as other amothers wrote. huge different between adding dishes to your shabbos meal to totally changing it to milchigs and not even having the basic traditional dishes

Tradition varies, of course Smile A very small percentage of the Jewish world lived in the area where the foods you described were the tradition. Also, aside from chassidim, I'm not aware of any group that ascribes significance to certain foods, besides the basics that are brought down in the earliest sources (wine, fish, meat).

yogabird

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 11:09 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Tradition varies, of course Smile A very small percentage of the Jewish world lived in the area where the foods you described were the tradition. Also, aside from chassidim, I'm not aware of any group that ascribes significance to certain foods, besides the basics that are brought down in the earliest sources (wine, fish, meat).

and cholent/chamin for shabbos day

ImaMum

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 6:29 am
My really really basic menu is:

Fri night
Challoh (bought or frozen)
Soup with barley (sometimes veg sometimes chicken)
Roast potatoes
Roast Chicken

Shabbos lunch
Challoh (bought or frozen)
Left over soup kept in crock pot over night
Left over chicken
Maybe rice or pasta, or kugel from freezer

Does mayo count as a dip for challoh?! LOL

SS
Challoh sandwiches with choc spread/PB

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 7:47 am
Friday night

Challah (bought, unless I have the time to make)
Dips (bought-tomato, garlic, dill, chummus, and a few more if I have company)
baked salmon teriyaki(easy-take a bottle of mikee sesame teriyaki and pour on salmon and bake)
chicken soup (if I have patience I make knaidlach
chicken baked with farfel (in one pan)
potato kugel

Shabbes Day

Challah
Dips
baked salmon teriyaki
eggs
liver sautee (bought unless I have time)
cholent with store bought kishke

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:50 pm
I was not raised traditional and dh is very open so to us shabbos = foods we like and enjoy.

Last shabbos (I am on bedrest right now)

Friday night tacos
Hamotzi - flour tortillas
- browned chopped meat from the freezer
- refried beans - made with fried onions from the freezer and canned beans
- Spanish rice (near east makes a mix)
- salsa (typically store bought)
- chopped Lettus and tomatoes
- sliced Alvacados
Roasted corn (wrap in foil throw in oven)
Gespatcho (literally throwing ingredients into a processor)

Shabbos day
Deli roll
Pasta for the kids
Leftovers from Friday night

----

Another example

Challah from the freezer
Dill dip, chumas, techina
Unstuffed cabbage (browned meat from the freezer thrown in a pot with shredded cabbage tomato sauce, cranberry sauce and raisins.)
Rice
Green beans and potatos
Salad if we want.

Shabbos day
Deli role and leftovers

We are Sephardi and can easily warm up "wet" food. So we often have the same Food Friday night and shabbos day.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus