Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Why do I need stroller + snap n go?
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 9:53 am
Can someone explain why we need both a snap n go and stroller?

DH said he's fine with just a snap n go and carseat, but I know everyone has a stroller- there must be a reason!

Explanations for a clueless mom to be, anyone?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:04 am
The car seat places infants in a position that is not optimal for the spine, and it also can compromise breathing. Many people use it instead of a stroller, but it isn't recommended, especially not on a regular basis.

Yes yes, many babies used it all the time and turned out just fine. But that doesn't change the reality that it is an additional risk. You can skip the snap n go and just use a stroller. Lots of strollers allow the car seat to be used together with the stroller too.

You don't need a stroller right away either, though. You can get a comfortable baby carrier to use both in and out of the house, and many moms find that to be useful. Some infants hate the stroller anyway, so you end up pushing an empty stroller with one hand while carrying the baby in the other. Not a blast Smile

oliveoil

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:05 am
The car seats are also generally extremely heavy.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:06 am
Oh yeah, the snap n go doesn't have a great push. And once the baby outgrown the infant seat, its useless.

curlgirl

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:08 am
You can get a stroller with a carseat that snaps in.

Lots of strollers have that feature, some require an adapter that you buy separately.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:08 am
I've never used a snap and go. I like strollers. a car seat adaptable stroller is the best option, imo. there are times when baby is asleep in the car seat and you need to walk somewhere.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:12 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Oh yeah, the snap n go doesn't have a great push. And once the baby outgrown the infant seat, its useless.

Looks like a lot of strollers only hold up to 40 pounds. And carseats can hold up to 35-40 pounds as well. So it seams like the baby would outgrow the stroller AND an infant seat at the same time!

Or am I missing something?

Also, what is a baby carrier?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:19 am
Infant seats do not go up to 40#. Convertible seats do, but they wouldn't fit in a snap n go or a stroller. Unless you have very heavy kids, they will likely outgrow an infant seat by height before they reach the weight limit.

Also, a stroller weight limit is a recommendation, not a safety concern. A car seat limits MUST be respected, the seat will no longer be safe once any of the limits is reached (height, weight, position in seat)

deams

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:25 am
Snap an go are great if baby is sleeping in the car seat or in very cold weather wear it is quicker and more efficient. It is also lighter and easy to take in and out of the car.
If you find a strollar with all of these qualities then great. It also depends wear you live and what your needs are.
There are better companies out there that are very similar to the snap n go.
Strollars are great for walks and I find older babies and toldlers prefer it because they can see more around them.

lmc91

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:27 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Looks like a lot of strollers only hold up to 40 pounds. And carseats can hold up to 35-40 pounds as well. So it seams like the baby would outgrow the stroller AND an infant seat at the same time!

Or am I missing something?

Also, what is a baby carrier?

There are infant carseats that go up to 35 lbs, but that's a joke. Even my 95th percentile weight child outgrew it in length by around a year (I don't remember how much she weighed, maybe 20 lbs?) Now she's 2 and weighs 25 lbs, so she has a long way to till she outgrows the stroller at 40 lbs. People use strollers all the way through age 4 or 5 for long trips, etc. - so you clearly wouldn't be putting a 4 year old in a snap n go Wink

acccdac

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:28 am
I know some people use their infant car seat until a year but I usually stop after about 6 months, it's too hard to carry child in and out of the car.

Look into a travel system like graco or britax. That allows your stroller to be your snap n go (verses a city select needing an adapter)

Baby carrier is a Bjorne or moby wrap

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:33 am
Baby carriers are a way to "wear" your baby. Cuddling your baby while freeing your hands. great for off-road
I have the Chibuki (made by Jews) I love it!
other common ones are:
Moby wrap
Baby K'tan (also made by Jews)
Baby B'jorn -not as good for yours nor the baby's backs, but easier to learn to use.

These are especially good for a coliky baby

chanar

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 10:42 am
I keep snap and go wheels in my car. It's not the best "walk" but for convenience it's amazing. So when I go to a store or mall I use it and put the car seat in it. Then you don't have to transfer the baby, specially helpful if baby is sleeping... Once your baby is older and has outgrown the infant seat, you won't need the snap and go. Or you can just use your regular stroller whatever you planned to get. Most of them have adapters for your car seats. Some people don't do this because the stroller frame is either harder to fold and heavier, or because it's expensive they don't wanna scratch it up every time it goes in and out the car..

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 1:28 pm
I just remembered that there is indeed an infant seat that goes to 40# Smile However, it is heavier than other seats, and I'm not sure it can be used with the snap n go.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 1:32 pm
I have the Britax B-Agile Travel System. The car seat snaps right into the stroller so there is no need for adapters or a snap-n-go. Very convenient.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 1:54 pm
the city mini is inexpensive and a great stroller. You can get adapters to put an infant car seat in it.

Or get another stroller that the car seat fits right in without the adapters.

You absolutely need some type of stroller.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 4:13 pm
In general, it is not good to keep a new baby in a carseat for longer than necessary... they do not have muscle control in their necks and the slouching position of sitting in a carseat can constrict the airway.... even if they are breathing just fine, they are likely not getting all the oxygen they could be. Also, if they spit up, there is much more of a danger of choking if the baby is sitting up than if he was lying flat.

And like some people have said, a snap n go is not such a good stroller.... it's not the most maneuverable or easy to steer and it has small-ish wheels. We have one, but don't use it so much. So yeah, if you are going to be out somewhere for a long time or pushing your baby around a lot, you should really use a stroller.

There is also an option of getting a "travel system" stroller... where you can snap the carseat into your regular stroller. It saves you the money of buying a snap n go.. but it gets pretty heavy to push a stroller+carseat+baby all together.

MMCH

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 8:02 pm
I didnt read the previous posters, so dont mind me if im repeating.

I remember with my first, my dh said to me why are getting a stroller also?

k first and foremost,the snap n go isn't a stroller. its a device, that makes ur life really easy at the very beg stages, that wheels ur carseat, BUT it has a terrible push.

second, ull see IYH, when baby grows up, sitting in the car seat wont be so comfortable for baby.
third, car seats are really heavy. so ya, when hes 10 pounds its not so bad but IYH down the road, think 17-18 pounds, plus an already 25 pound stroller. everysingle time you go somewhere

4th, its not the best for the baby's posture to sit in a car seat for that long.

good luck.

abaker

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 9:52 am
another vote for just getting a stroller that the carseat clicks right into. I also have britax travel system...when the carseat is on top its a bit hard to get up the curb because it's so heavy...but it pushes easily. in my experience the graco brand is a little clunkier and doesn't push as easily...but I think even graco/safety first brand have 3 wheeled travel systems now...they might be a good option for you. no need for snap n go

baby carriers I've used so many...use to recommend the moby, but for this baby I got the ergo...its worth every penny! so much easier to use, and holds baby really securely...I dont feel like he's going to fall out chas v shalom. baby bjorn now makes carriers where the babys legs are spread out in a better position, not just dangling down...but haven't tried them. baby k'tan I know people who loveeee this, and its also a little cheaper than ergo.

babies really dont need a lot of fancy stuff...but a stroller that pushes well/isnt super heavy def makes life easier for u...as does a really comfy/supportive baby carrier! you can also buy things after baby is born ...you can borrow at first so you can figure out what you like best. (carseat you obviously need right away so I'd buy that before) b'shah tovah!

sky

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 11:00 am
You can get a graco stroller for less (under $50 at Target) or the same price as a snap 'n go that the stroller snaps right into. So you can keep it in your car and it can be used as a snap 'n go and stroller. It folds and weights almost the same.
Depends on your taste, the nicer ones are more expensive (about $150) and fun light colors that aren't so common in the frum community are cheaper. I think its a great option. I had one that lasted a bunch of kids and never got a snap 'n go.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries