Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Checking clothing tags

CherryBerry

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 4:04 pm
Sometimes I admire a child's outfit and want to know where its from so I can shop there.
Is it ok to check the clothing tag if the parents arent around so I cannot ask them?
Like if my kids friend came over? Or a relative. Someone I am caring for. Not just a random stranger.
How does a child feel having someone check the label at their neck? Is it very intrusive or not at all?

newmammy

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 4:17 pm
JMHO but I find it inappropriate and uncomfortable.
I hated it as a kid when my aunts or other adults would casually "check my tags" as if I was a mannequin.
I even disliked it when my mother did it in public (oh that dress is getting small, let me check the size).
If you are really that curious then make a mental note to ask the mother later.

skymile

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 4:18 pm
I think it depends on the age. when I was a tween my so-called-friends said they wanted to check the label on my sweater to see the company, but they just wanted to see the size and made fun of me for the rest of the year. (I was a very big kid)
when my babysitter told me she checked my daughter's dress to see the company name of it, I was pretty proud... I didn't mind at all...

seeker

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 5:13 pm
If it were my niece, nephew, or other close person and very young (baby/toddler range) then I guess I might do that. But why not just ask? If the kid is old enough to come over alone then you can ask them what they're wearing or if they know where it's from. If it's a little kid then ask the parent when they are picked up or the next time you see or talk to them. "Hey, I love that outfit your Shprinkle was wearing today, where'd you get it?"

zaq

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 5:18 pm
Are you kidding? Of course it's invasive! How would you like it if someone did that to you? Just because they're smaller than you doesn't give you permission to invade their personal space, literal or figurative.

Checking the tag on a kid's coat or sweater when the kid is not wearing it is "merely" snooping. Nobody likes a snoop, though I do think the word is one of the many funny words in the English language. Snoop-snoop; snoop-snoop--even your face looks funny when you say it. But I digress.

As newmammy said, just ask the mom.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 5:20 pm
I've asked a kid- can I check the tag in your shirt?

Fox

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 6:33 pm
I'm with Zaq -- I'd find it really inappropriate. Plus, unless the child is pre-verbal, he/she may mention it to the mother, who may be offended. I'd just ask.

amother

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 1:31 am
I once had a student whenever she came to school with a new outfit and I would comment her how nice her sweater / dress is she would reply " ya you like it??? Check the label" lol

amother

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 4:41 am
It is invasive and rude.

And it's exactly the type of thing my MIL would do. Rolling Eyes

Sarah f

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 4:50 am
If you can't ask the parent...the least you can do is preface it with that's such a beautiful...where is it from? They will either tell you or offer their label or offer to ask, if they don't offer maybe they feel that checking is an invasion of privacy, kids have feelings and sensitivities too!

chaos

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:58 am
I would have found this really invasive and rude as a kid. My mother was very frugal and shopped at inexpensive places for our clothing. I was fine with the clothes I wore and never complained about it but someone asking, or even checking the label herself, to find out where my outfit was from would have come across to me as wanting to judge me or my mother for wearing something cheap. Not to mention that it would have felt like a huge violation of my personal space.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 4:54 pm
There are very very few things about my mil that get me nervous. This is one of them.

I see her checking the kids' tags. Not sure if she wants to make sure the companies are balabatish enough for her or if she is impressed at how good the kids look at reasonable prices. "Oh, wow, this is from Zara..." Smile Really irks me, I pretend not to notice since she thinks she's discrete.

To me it's like turning over the dishes when a guest at someone's Shabbos meal to see the company china. Rude. Even if it's because you like it and want to also get it, ASK the hostess.

smiledr

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 5:13 pm
I'm not offended when pple check the tags on my kids clothes - maybe they like it and want to get the same thing - I take it as a compliment. I've got more important things to worry about.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 5:26 pm
I do it all the time, I say I love ur outfit, I want to see where ur mommy got it, do u mind if I check the tag? Just grabbing them and checking is rude though.

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Wed, Jun 11 2014, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 5:27 pm
I wouldn't be offended but be warned if you think you're merely checking the kids tags and no one is wiser, they tell their parents and then you'll be embarrassed. My cousin mentioned that her daughter told her that xyz is always checking tags. I say just ask the mom she'll feel complimented and then you don't get into other issues.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 5:32 pm
Having never had the remotest urge to check anyone's clothing tag, nor having ever seen anyone do this, nor having had this done to me or afaik to my children, I find the whole concept utterly bizarre. Am I living on a different planet from the rest of you?

(Clamorous response from Brooklyn mothers: YES!!!)

fleetwood

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 6:32 pm
Didn't you all know in Brooklyn we have tag checking parties???
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette