Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
That webinar you've been asking for!
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 10:30 pm
After fielding many similar questions around the forums, I was thinking of doing a webinar or conference call with general information about programs and methods for kids with learning difficulties. People seemed interested in that idea. No way I'm going to be able to track down all those old threads, so here it is and I hope anyone interested sees it.

Here's the deal:

I've prepared a program on this topic and what ended up happening was that I worked really hard on it and I think I've created something really useful. So probably in the future I'll do it again and charge admission. But because I created it for you, and have never done anything like this before, I'm offering it to any interested imamother member free, on the condition that you provide me with some useful feedback so I can improve it for the future.

If you're interested, please PM me and I'll send you a link to vote on a date/time and enter your email address so I can get back to you with the details. It won't be associated with your imamother ID at all, so don't worry about confidentiality or anything. I'm safe.

I do provide education/special ed services, but this is purely an informational presentation and not a sales pitch at all, so I hope admin will not consider this an advertisement.

On a related note, I did some googling and plan to use anymeeting.com as the host. If you've had a negative experience with that or have used something that you believe is much better that I should know about, please do share!

seeker

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 11:34 am
Thanks to those who registered; bumping for daytime readers Smile

seeker

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:43 pm
OK, there have been a few responses but I'm looking at the poll results and everyone is asking for a different time Sad I guess we either need more people, or people need to be more flexible with timing. For people who responded (or if you didn't respond because you didn't like the times) is there some OTHER time that would work better? I just kind of assumed late evening would be ideal (and would be earlier evening, also maybe OK, for people west of me) but if I am off base please do let me know and I'll recalculate.

seeker

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:38 pm
OK, so I'm looking at the poll results and the date with the most people available is this Sunday, June 1st, in the evening. The thing is some people checked off only 9 PM (Eastern US) and some checked only 10 (Eastern US). Think we can compromise and call it for 9:30 so everyone can join, or are your 9's and 10's really firm?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:43 pm
How long is the program?

seeker

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:44 pm
I'm aiming for an hour, including introductions and goodbyes. Does that sound about right?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:46 pm
Sounds good Smile I prefer earlier

momx6

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:52 pm
Either way works for me. 9 or 9:30.

seeker

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:53 pm
Are you one of the poll participants? One person participated in the poll but didn't "yes" any times, and one only "yes"ed one time the following week. Everyone else pretty much was available either 9 or 10 on Sunday, so I'm hoping maybe 9:30 can satisfy. I'd really love for the maximum people to make it.

Anyone else want in?

momx6

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:57 pm
Either way works for me. 9 or 9:30.

sunspot

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 11:12 pm
I would def be in.

I have had the best results with webinars with gotomeeting or webex. I have tried others and have found these to be the most reliable. Sunday, Tuesday or Thurs eve. are best. Do you do private consulting?

seeker

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 11:20 pm
Webdesignermom, I haven't been keeping track of imamother screen names - my policy is that once you email me I forget your imamother account, keeps things clean and private. So are you already in the poll?

Thanks for the recommendations of platforms. Which other ones did you try that were no good? I'd also like to know what to stay away from!

Yes, I do private consulting. This is my first group webinar, though. Trying something new Smile

seeker

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 11:31 pm
So the thing is that gotomeeting and webex only allow up to 3 people in their free version, and the ones that allow more people cost more than I want to spend at this time. I'm not running a very big webinar racket just yet - this will be my first try but it's not for profit, and then I'll want to consider doing another here or there and charging for them, but I don't anticipate doing them very often or very huge. So these several hundred dollars a year plans are not for me

Any tips? Do you know if the 3-person free meetings can have more people listen in, just not participate? Because I don't really need everyone talking back, I just want to be able to have about 10 people listen.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 9:41 am
I'm in. I was in the poll. no clue about the meeting systems.

baba

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 12:21 pm
This sounds interesting for me, but evening in the US means middle of the night for me.

seeker

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:28 pm
Hi again.
A bunch of people have PM'd asking for a better explanation of what this is about, so I want to clarify here:

At this time, I'm not going to be talking about or suggesting any particular method or remedy for learning problems. My view is that any treatment needs to be based on and tailored to a good understanding of the nature of the problem. So I've prepared a class about the various underlying problems that cause kids to have learning difficulties (including but not limited to diagnosed LD and ADHD) and how to make sure that the method or program you're considering is the right match for you.

I do have specific programs that I use with my own clients, as well as recommendations of others, but I found when planning this class that I'd have to limit the scope or we could talk for a month. I wanted to make it as useful as possible for the most people, so this is more of a general overview. I am still available for private consultations to suggest specific plans for your kid, but that's not something I can offer for free en masse. I do think that this class can help you understand how to make sense of your options, and if you did opt for a consultation with me or with another professional at a later time, it would give you the background to understand what you're talking about.

Hope that helps! I'm sorry about the time zone issues, I just had to go with what would work for the most people at this point.

final note: In order to participate, you MUST answer that poll link I sent in response to your PM. I do not keep track of imamother PM's, it's too complicated and anyway most people probably prefer to keep their imamother screen names private. So you just click on the link and enter your email there, and then I have the list all in one place and with no connection to your screen name here. No one else will see your email there.

sunspot

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:24 pm
sorry I did not respond right away...I will pm you for the poll.

My experience had been that paid solutions are the way to go. I may have an idea for you for this

seeker

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 11:14 pm
Thanks, webdesignermom. I've been on the receiving end of webinars but I'm a newcomer to hosting them and appreciate any advice.

mommydearest

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 11:20 pm
Maybe I'm new to this. I would be interested in a seminar, but I would want to know whom you are and what your credentials are before participating. I checked out your website, but did not see any credentials - are you a psychologist? What is an "academic interventionist"? What are your credentials? Please advise. Thank you.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:06 am
mommydearest wrote:
Maybe I'm new to this. I would be interested in a seminar, but I would want to know whom you are and what your credentials are before participating. I checked out your website, but did not see any credentials - are you a psychologist? What is an "academic interventionist"? What are your credentials? Please advise. Thank you.

I'll PM you. I don't like sharing too many personal details on imamother, even though I suppose anyone who follows me off of here (to my own website, email, webinar, whatever) will know who I am anyway.

But by "academic interventionist" I meant that I design and administer interventions for students who need help to succeed in academics. I should probably use clearer words... I've already moved to a different website but am still working on it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics