Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you dispose of a used match?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:35 am
After I use a match, I throw it into the sink or get it wet and then throw it in the garbage. Is that the normal thing to do? What do you do?

myself

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:38 am
Blow it out and put it in the bin. What's the question?

flmommy

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:47 am
I run it under faucet before throwing it away. I still remember an elementary teacher telling our class that a hit match can cause a fire in the garbage.

SingALong

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 8:01 am
I dip it into a cup of water or run under faucet. I remember someone throwing a blown out match into the garbage and it caught fire.

Pineapple

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:20 am
yo'ma wrote:
After I use a match, I throw it into the sink or get it wet and then throw it in the garbage. Is that the normal thing to do? What do you do?

I do the same thing

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:22 am
You are officially supposed to soak it in water and then wrap in aluminum foil.

I just blow it out and throw it in the wastebasket.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Wed, May 28 2014, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:22 am
I leave it on the counter to cool off for a minute and then toss it

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Wed, May 28 2014, 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:23 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
You are officially supposed to soak it in water and then wrap in aluminum foil.

vus??

Happy18

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:24 am
Run it under some water and then throw out. I'd rather take the extra second than have my garbage catch fire.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:27 am
Ruchel wrote:
vus??

We learned that in school.

It is what the sanitation department recommends.

They also say to keep it in a separate bin for metals (because of the aluminum foil), but most cities are not makpid on that.........

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:40 am
myself wrote:
Blow it out and put it in the bin. What's the question?

That's exactly the question. Do you do anything before throwing it away like me and other posters like getting it wet first.

zaq

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:05 pm
You should absolutely douse a match before discarding unless you have the patience to leave it on a glass plate or similar noncombustible surface till the flame end is cold enough to pinch between your fingers. When blown out, a match is still hot enough inside to ignite combustible material like paper or cloth, plus glowing embers are often hiding under the charred surface. Many a house fire, like many a forest fire, has been started by someone casually tossing a freshly blown-out match into a trash can.

If you're not confident enough that the match is truly dead to be willing to give it the pinch test, that ought to tell you it's not yet safe to discard.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:21 pm
either I leave on the drip pan for the stove top ... or have a drip of water douse it out ...

unless you have a fire extinguisher handy - you'll have a bigger match to contend with when the garbage alights

myself

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:47 pm
yo'ma wrote:
That's exactly the question. Do you do anything before throwing it away like me and other posters like getting it wet first.

Actually yes, LOL I double check that it's definitely turned off.
I rarely use matches though.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:56 pm
zaq wrote:
You should absolutely douse a match before discarding unless you have the patience to leave it on a glass plate or similar noncombustible surface till the flame end is cold enough to pinch between your fingers. When blown out, a match is still hot enough inside to ignite combustible material like paper or cloth, plus glowing embers are often hiding under the charred surface. Many a house fire, like many a forest fire, has been started by someone casually tossing a freshly blown-out match into a trash can.

If you're not confident enough that the match is truly dead to be willing to give it the pinch test, that ought to tell you it's not yet safe to discard.

After tzinding lecht my friend places the match on top of a matchbox her daughter was holding... The match was so hot it made a hole in the box, igniting all of the other matches and burning her daughter's hand. B"H her daughter fully recovered.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:59 pm
you can use a lighter - that's what I do for my licht & the fireplace

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 6:58 pm
I put it in the sink and run the faucet. Then I dispose it. Friday night I leave the match on the leichter tray though.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:00 pm
I throw it in the toilet.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:05 pm
sequoia wrote:
I throw it in the toilet.

that could be bad for the plumbing ...

acemom

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:06 pm
I dip it into a drop of water and wait for the "tss" sound. That's when I know it is out and safe to be discarded.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics