Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you have a smart phone?
1  2  Next

What kind of phone do you have?
smart phone  
 61%  [ 127 ]
regular / old phone  
 34%  [ 71 ]
no phone  
 0%  [ 2 ]
other (not sure what that could be, but here is that option :) )  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 206

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:16 am
I was curious to know who else still has a small regular phone Smile

I just dont want to get a smart phone, even though all of my siblings have one and have great whatsapp conversations without me, I stil just like my phone that does almost nothing.

So, do you have a smart phone? Or do you also haev an old dinosaur of a phone like me? Smile

DrMom

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:26 am
I have a non-smart phone. I can really see the advantages to as smartphone, but I'm not ready to give up my nice simple phone with clear, straightforward menus, and which FITS IN MY POCKET.

My DH has a smartphone, so I put his number on all the annoying whatsapp lists and let him deal with the constant interruptions to his workday.

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:46 am
I'm smart enough on my own ( Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter - Someone had to make that stupid comment).

I have a cheap phone but my husband and kids have smart phones and are always sending each other things and I'm "out of the loop" (how's that for cool talk? Cool ). My post HS kids don't really live at home so it's really a nice way to constantly keep in touch (though my kids do comment/complain that Abba constantly calls and sends things Wink ). My thirteen yo doesn't have a phone at all so DH has to be in the whatsapp group with her friends Very Happy

etky

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:54 am
Another dinosaur here. DH and DD 18 have smartphones (both recently acquired). I have a love/hate relationship with the entire idea. I know it would be a handy thing for me to have but I kind of dislike the way people tend to get so obsessed with their phones. However, it's probably just a matter of time before I get one too - especially since the prices have been coming down.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 3:53 am
Yup, I still have a little flip phone with naught but a number pad and tiny screen. I can receive texts, but sending them takes AGES because to write "bigsis" would mean pressing "22444(pause)477774447777"...

I'm on the computer for much of the day, and more than I should be in my spare time, so I like having a "dumb" phone. I know that I'd be online even more if I could fit my entire beloved internet in my phone.

grace413

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:35 am
What Bigsis144 said. My phone makes/receives phone calls, has an alarm clock which is great, a radio which I rarely use and receive texts. I'm too much of a dinosaur to text, especially in Hebrew. This way when I have to wait someplace I actually read a book instead of websurfing.

My 17 year old DD is desperate for a smart phone but it's not happening.

zissy2004

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:45 am
I have one and have had one for a while. (before everyone had them) because I'm a geek Wink
Though I wouldn't mind to go back to the old nokia phones (ah, the ease of messaging, touch screen isn't the same!)

imab

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 6:21 am
I like this topic - I still have a simple nokia and I don't want to be connected to the net 24/7

imasinger

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 6:24 am
I love my smart phone, and I'm not into fancy apps.

But even at the basic level, it can do so much -- phone, text, camera and video, calendar for me and all the family, GPS, google, be my library, including siddur and chumash, access music...

And I have big pockets, so it fits just fine.

momx6

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 6:58 am
imasinger wrote:
I love my smart phone, and I'm not into fancy apps.

But even at the basic level, it can do so much -- phone, text, camera and video, calendar for me and all the family, GPS, google, be my library, including siddur and chumash, access music...

And I have big pockets, so it fits just fine.

I love my smartphone too! Any pocketbook I buy has to have an outside pocket big enough to hold the phone.

lfab

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 8:47 am
Nope. Plain old regular phone for me. Although it would be useful at times I don't want a smartphone, I would end up wasting way too much time on the internet!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 9:29 am
I don't have a smartphone, but I think the wording on this poll need to be changed. These days, a "regular" phone IS a smartphone! Old phones (like mine) are definitely not the norm anymore...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 9:51 am
I voted other -- my cell phone is from work, and when my old flip type was not holding a charge anymore, I bought the soonest ending within my budget on eBay that is compatible with my plan (1000 talk minutes a year). I paid $28 for a used smartphone, so I have one. However, I don't have data, and therefore I'm not connected to the web 24/7. I do have wifi compatibility with it, but never set up social networking or even my email so I won't be addicted. My most used app on that is an mp3 player I downloaded (astro player) which lets me bookmark where each of my carpools is up to in the story they're listening to Smile I don't even text really on the phone. It's like a glorified dumb phone the way I use it.

busydev

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:07 am
so mines a mix I guess. not a smart phone, but I do have some basic internet capabilities-dont pay extra for data but some is included in the basic plan, and many sites dont work or only partially work.
it has a qwerty keyboard (flip) and no apps.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:32 am
So...

I currently have a plain old regular phone.

It's funny because I have had an iphone since the FIRST one came out when I was 17! I just was not impressed with the current iphones, and I did not want to get another company because I have an apple computer, tablet, etc.

Let me tell you a secret: I LOVE THIS PLAIN PHONE THAT HAS NO BROWSER OR GAMES!!!! However, when the next iPhone comes out, I probably will buy it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:46 am
I have a stupidphone (sorry, used the s-word).

When my previous phone died a few months ago I went into a cellphone store and found almost no selection in stupidphones. They're disappearing from the marketplace. I ended up buying a used one online to get the one feature I wanted (a camera) and nothing else..

estelle

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:48 am
Mine is also kind of a mix, its got a smallish screen and normal buttons, but can receive data and I can browse the internet on it, but its bit slow and not all sites come up properly, although watsapp works great I use it all day.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 10:53 am
I met someone yesterday who has an ipad mini with 3g and a cheap mobile. She pays around $10 per month for data on her ipad. And she doesn't have to worry about her phone running out of charge at 3pm.

Only downside is that whatsapp does not work on tablets, although other messaging services do.

ElTam

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:02 pm
Not going for a smartphone until the phones and the plans become cheaper.

centurion

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 3:39 pm
I had to get a smart phone because my phone of average intelligence broke and that's all the phone company was offering to replace it. I don't have a great data plan though so I don't really use it for much other than calls. it doesn't do that very well so I don't really know what the point of the phone is anymore. it does take great pictures though. I wanted to buy a cell but instead I bought a camera with mediocre talking features.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics