Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Pickled Brisket

cooklightr

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:45 am
I tried for the first time to make a pickled brisket. I was told to put the bag containing the pickled brisket in a pot with some water on the stovetop and cook it to a slow boil for two to two and a half hours. I cooked it even a little longer and when I opened the bag and put a fork into it, it seemed a little tough to me. Not sure what to do from here. Anybody have any suggestions? I thought since it is late, I would cool it off put it in the refrig and bake it tomorrow. I do not want to dry it out. Any suggestion on what spices I could add?

Thanks!

Barbara

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:59 am
cooklightr wrote:
I tried for the first time to make a pickled brisket. I was told to put the bag containing the pickled brisket in a pot with some water on the stovetop and cook it to a slow boil for two to two and a half hours. I cooked it even a little longer and when I opened the bag and put a fork into it, it seemed a little tough to me. Not sure what to do from here. Anybody have any suggestions? I thought since it is late, I would cool it off put it in the refrig and bake it tomorrow. I do not want to dry it out. Any suggestion on what spices I could add?

Thanks!

It needs to be baked after boiling. My favorite recipe is http://www.food.com/recipe/bro.....41522
But there are dozens of others that you can try.

heidi

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:57 am
As far as I know baking afterward just helps glaze it. I would boil for another hour, watching to make sure it doesn't get too soft or it will fall apart. Take out, cool, slice and pour glaze over-- brown sugar, mustard and ketchup work very nicely. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Grandma 1

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 9:31 am
Are you sure that you were supposed to cook it in the bag?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 9:36 am
yeah, you shouldn't cook it in the bag. boiling it directly in the water will draw some of the salt out of it. the amount of salt used in pickling would probably make you throw up after one bite. not joking here. many people will change the water in middle to draw out more salt. you should take the meat out of its packaging, rinse, and boil.

I pickle my own brisket, btw. and I just boil it, I never glaze it after.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking