Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Do you stay up to learn at night?
Previous  1  2

agreer

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 11:16 am
Nope. Not at all. It's not a mitzvah for women.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:13 pm
agreer wrote:

It's not a mitzva to eat chocolate pudding, or ice cream, or take nature walks, or lovely trips , or shop for clothes
Or even have children. It's only a mitzva on the men
In fact if you only do what's an absolute mitzva , you are going to have a pretty sad empty life Sad

Shoshie

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:16 pm
I love staying up all night at my synagogue. We put a mechitzah down the center of the social hall, so the setting is less formal than if we were have all lectures in the sanctuary. Men, women and children volunteer to prepare a five minute drusha on a parsha and we go through the entire chumash that way.
We have heavy duty lectures/discussions on various topics to fill the remaining time until we davin at sunrise.

If someone prefers to learn in a chevrusa fashion, there’s plenty of room for that as well. NCSY meets in another part of the shule for their all-night learning. There’s also something for younger children, who are invited to bring sleeping bags. And of course potato chips, drinks and cookies are plentiful in the back of the social hall throughout the night.

It’s something all ages look forward to.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:42 pm
agreer wrote:
As I said earlier, its not a mitzvah for men either to stay up ALL night and learn.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:43 pm
I'm barely functional past 11 so it's never been an option for me. But it sounds like a great thing to do if you can!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 1:27 pm
Unrealistic when our kid(s) range from birth to teens, at least. I'm very happy keeping to what I can realistically do, and only push myself for what I need to.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 1:40 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
As I said earlier, its not a mitzvah for men either to stay up ALL night and learn.

Its a minhag for men.its not a minhag for women.
Anonymous because last time I said something like this I was cyberbullied

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Its a minhag for men.its not a minhag for women.
Anonymous because last time I said something like this I was cyberbullied
Im not going to cyber bully you, but this was my question, my original post. In my communities, the minhag is just as strong among women as it is among girls.

Different communities, different minhagim.
Where I live now, there are even shiurim just for women.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 1:48 pm
I used to do it before I was married. I would invite my friends over and we would learn in my house.

Once, a chaseedish guy heard us (it was hot so the window was wide open) and knocked at the door to tell us to be quiet. I can't remember what I responded. I know I didn't throw a cheesecake at his face which is what he deserved.

octopus

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:13 pm
no. but I definitely stayed up studying all night for finals (sometimes english sometimes hebrew)- and was totally not functional the next day.

mille

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 12:02 am
A lot of women I know do, but I function much better in the early morning than at night. So I go to bed at a normal hour and learn some in the morning before I go to shul. I have stayed up all night and went to a bunch of shiurim (I can't really think of any shiurim in my current/past neighborhoods that were NOT mixed gender), but I was generally miserable by the end. I like my set up now much better!

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:09 am
IMHO people who have kids who will wake up early in the morning and stay active all day need to rest up as much of the night as they can so they can impart to their children the joyous atmosphere of the Torah home. I would maybe stay up an extra half hour or so just because that quiet time at night is the only chance I'll have to inspire myself at all and if I don't I'll feel kind of empty. But beyond that it just wouldn't be wise. I used to learn more before I had kids, and I look forward to going out to nighttime shiurim again when they get old enough to fend for themselves more, but right now I have to prioritize.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:36 am
When I was in (co-ed) high school, we would stay up & study for our finals. Then again, when I was in high I probably stayed up all night many other times too (in the middle of a good book, test the next day, etc.)

catonmylap

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:29 am
Even without little kids in the equation, it's pretty hard for anyone who has to go back to work again the next day... at least in chul, if you have 2 days of chag, you have another day to straighten out your sleep schedule..

myself

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:14 am
Thank G-d this is not the minhag in my community. Don't know any women that stay up. Shavuos is so late, I can just about keep my eyes open for the meal.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:30 am
Whether I sleep or not dd will be "up" to nurse when she will.
I dream of ANY late night outing but it's not happening LOL (kah)

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 8:45 am
They have mixed shiurim for men and women in our shul along with those for men and those for women separately. I wouldn't know who attends, I certainly don't.
The feature however are the shiurim the next day (here in EY we have only one day Shavuos after all) in the late afternoon from around 5 to 7 PM before mincha. Those are well attended by men and women but mostly older women such as myself if the grandchildren aren't around. If they are? Count us out.

Look, if it floats your boat, yalla, go learn. If like me you prefer to sit with a sefer at home alone or even just relaxing, that works too. I see matan torah as being something practical. When I kasher meat I'm carrying out what we got at Matan Torah. But actually? Shavuot is NOT chag matan torah, it's chag aseres hadibros because we actually only got the torah on Yom Kippur in practice as we kind of messed up with the golden calf and all that jazz when Moshe didn't come down from his vacation in the mountains fast enough So what we are technically celebrating is Chag Habikurim. Go learn maseches whatever has to do with that topic.

And since then minhag yisroel for the women to go up to the mountains all week and the men to only join them for shabbosim lizecher their being mechaper for Moshe rabbienu who got stuck in the mountains all week long and look what happened to Am Yisroel as a result!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics