Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Need help in choosing a pre-school/yeshiva please!!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 2:58 pm
Hi there,

I'm new to the whole choosing a school/yeshiva for my child since it's still my first one. I have a 2.5 year old bright boy, B'H and I'm not sure where to send him for pre-school in Brooklyn. A little bit about my hubby and me: we are what you call modern orthodox although we're pretty right winged. We are getting rid of the tv (I was never a fan but my husband works a little slower than I do) and limit what our son listens to or watches on the computer, if he does. I want a school that's frum but normal. Has a great secular education and is warm and loving that will teach my son the love of Torah and mitzvot. I've looked into several schools- Chofetz Chaim, Ahavas Torah, Torah Vodaas, Kaminetz, Ohel Torah, etc. My husband is Sefardic and I'm Ashnekaz but we are open to either type of school. Would anyone know which of these schools are what we are looking for? The last thing I'd want is to enroll my son somewhere and pull him out because we are not happy. I know there is no "perfect"school however, we're trying to find the one that's best suited for us and our son. We are willing to take more upon ourself for our sons best interest. We are very growth oriented but not yishivish. Both of us are baal tshuvah but for years already..I went to public school at a point but then switched to Bais Yaakov so I have a pretty good background. We both did the whole year in Israel after high school also. Any input would be super helpful. I'm not from NY originally and this is pretty new to me. Thanks so much!!

octopus

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 3:33 pm
don't know ohel torah but all these schools basically get the same ppl. getting a nice class is just luck of the draw. I think that counts more than "type" of school.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 07 2014, 11:52 pm
Thanks for your reply. You're right, I believe that the class you end up in does make a difference but I think that's only part. The teachers and the schools hashkafa are also big factors. Thing is that in Brooklyn, the schools are either pretty yeshivish or too modern. It would be great to find a school that's a balance in between...

amother

Post Sat, Jun 07 2014, 11:57 pm
That's why I send to Ahavas Torah, not yeshivish and not too modern. Middle of the road.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:09 am
So I heard that Ahavas Torah is a warm school with caring teachers, however, the academics are not as strong as other yeshivas. I'm not sure if I should let that bother me or not. My son is a bright boy, Thank G-d and I'd want him to be in an environment that's challenging or at least somewhat challenging. Also, I heard the classes are small so what happens if a child is having issues with a classmate or teacher/rebbe? You'd hope that that's not the case, but if it is, they're kinda stuck. Do all mothers in the school cover hair and dress modestly? Thanks for ur reply Smile

Ashrei

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:14 am
My second son is starting Yeshiva B'nei Torah, the al pi darko ("montessori") style school next year.

Definitely warm, the parents there seem very enthusiastic about the school. About half yeshivish, half OOT types (we're in that latter half also BT's), everyone gets along Wink Very small school, pretty new, and growing year to year (adding a grade every year imy'h).

No homework, no tests. Zilberman / zichru method, teachers trained in nurtured heart approach to discipline
Not mainstream, but some of the parents transferred from the cheder, torah vadaas, mainstream schools, and send their girls to mainstream BY's. (Bnos, Lev)
First graders had a siyum this year, could lein Beraishes b'al peh.

But we have the same goals you do for your child - that they should love Torah, love being Jewish...

Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:24 am
Thanks for your reply! Funny, I came across that school recently but wasn't able to find a telephone number for it. I really hope it works out for your son Smile Montessori is a great way of learning and have heard great things about that teaching style. Does it make you nervous at all that it's still relatively new or that the student body is small? What is the schools hashkafa btw. It's in broolyn correct?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:34 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your reply! Funny, I came across that school recently but wasn't able to find a telephone number for it. I really hope it works out for your son Smile Montessori is a great way of learning and have heard great things about that teaching style. Does it make you nervous at all that it's still relatively new or that the student body is small? What is the schools hashkafa btw. It's in broolyn correct?

Yes its in Brooklyn

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:11 am
Would anyone know the difference between the following yeshivas:

Tiferes Yisroel
Toras Emes
Torah Temimah
Ahavas Torah
Torah Vodaas

Is it better to go to a yeshiva that has a high school as well or is that not such a big deal?
What would cause a school not to call someone in for an interview even if they have space off that specific grade.
Is it hard to get into these yeshivas?

Thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 9:00 am
Anyone?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
Anyone?

First of all, you did get some responses. Do you mean, Anyone else? Tongue Out
Second you may get more people to open this if you ask the moderators to change the thread title to add the words "in Brooklyn".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers