Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Supper before Yom Tov?

Basya

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:11 pm
Being that candle lighting is not until 8pm and the seuda not until after 9 for sure, my kids won't be staying up for the seuda, and dh and I will be famished by then! What can I prepare for kids and us that is special enough to make it not a regular supper, but also not fill us up too much and then take away from the seuda? (In case you were wondering why we don't usually have this issue - we ALWAYS make early shabbos!)
Any ideas?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:15 pm
Personally, I get terrible heartburn from eating late at night (unless I sleep sitting up) so I am planning to find out the earliest I can make kiddush, was, eat a piece of kugel or cheesecake, bentsch and go to sleep (I am not good at sitting at the table and not eating)

But if I were going to 'snack' at 6 or 7, it would probably be a piece of salmon and a potato knish. As for kids, whatever they like from what you prepared for Yom Tov.

INSPIREME

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:15 pm
potato kugel
franks n blanks
mini deli knishes
fried chicken cutlet

SingALong

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:25 pm
On these long erev shabbosim I sometimes make DH baked potato stuffed with broccli and cheese. It's filling enough until we eat the seudah.

The kids usually eat cholent so I think ill just give them chicken legs and farfel. And salad or steamed veggies.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:34 pm
Soup is a good idea, can be filling enough to tide you over.
Potato kugel is my (fattening) favorite (I never make it, my love having it at my mom's house)
Sushi (my special erev Shabbos treat on occasion)

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 7:18 pm
At this time of year, we eat whatever is for the meal since no one will be wanting to eat that much later anyway.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:55 am
I give my kids the main course for late lunch / early supper, and then they stay up for kiddush, challah & soup.

STMommy

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 9:53 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
I give my kids the main course for late lunch / early supper, and then they stay up for kiddush, challah & soup.

I do the same. My kids gets the dinner food at their normal dinnertime. They only stay up for the first part of the meal. We stop the meal at that point and quickly get them to bed before continuing on - makes our meal even a bit later, but this is what works best for us.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:47 am
My kids will be getting Yom Tov food, and if they fall asleep before the seudah is over (I hope so!) they won't feel like they've missed out on anything. The only exception is dessert which I usually save for the morning time for those who go to sleep when we tell them they're ready for bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics