Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age did your toddler benefit from play dates etc?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:34 pm
How old was (or is) your toddler when she started to benefit from being with other children around her age through play dates, play group, shul socializing and the like? How old were they before they started to actually interact with kids and not be only into parallel play?

I'm asking because we live far and I'm trying to plan ahead to see when is the age when this has to become a priority.

TIA

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 8:53 pm
18 mos -2 yrs. My 2 yo just had a play date w. a neigbor where my husband left him there. He had a great time & keeps asking to go play again.

18 mos- they play & learn from each other- as well as nice to play w. different toys.

Even if at young ages where they are engaging in parallel play, there is benefit from seeing other children & seeing other play schemes. As well as for you as a mom to build social connections w. other families & not feel isolated.

Also, if you want others to think of you for play dates, and you are not right in the "neighborhood" you will need to be more proactive to make playdates happen. --Voice of experience-- we were in an out-of-the way neighborhood for 10 years & other kids & moms would get together frequently, since they would see each other & think of each other. I had to get out the class lists & make calls & set things up. Nothing was spontaneous.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:38 am
I put dd in playgroup/part time daycare around 15 m because she would go in hysterics when seeing another child and we had no occasion to actually stay with this other child and play. She flourished from day 1, no crying, no "adaptating". The morot had never seen that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics