Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Having Milchigs on Shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 8:30 am
We have so much leftovers from yom tov (milchigs) that I figured I would serve it on Shabbos and do a milchigs Friday night. I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing the same this Shabbos. I have never done a milchigs meal on Shabbos before and it does feel a bit weird. My husband, however, is very excited about the idea.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 8:38 am
We do it every so often. Its a nice change. If your husband is on board definitely do it! No extra work for you!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 9:10 am
Not when we have guests (most of our guests do expect meaty on Shabbat) but if we are on our own or have guests who are vegetarians or know us enough, I don't mind doing milky for Shabbat. Though I would definitely let the guests know in advance, so they don't have meaty items at kiddushim.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 9:29 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Not when we have guests (most of our guests do expect meaty on Shabbat) but if we are on our own or have guests who are vegetarians or know us enough, I don't mind doing milky for Shabbat. Though I would definitely let the guests know in advance, so they don't have meaty items at kiddushim.

The only other person we are having tonight for dinner is my brother-in-law. I already told him that we will be doing a milchigs Shabbos and he said he is fine with it.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 9:31 am
Shabbos afternoon is so long, why don't you just serve the leftovers for seuda shlishit? There should be plenty of time between lunch and then to be able to eat milchigs.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:10 am
We have a milchig Shabbos every once in a while.

But today, I'm sick of dairy, so I'm freezing the leftovers and going with meat.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:12 am
Don't Dutch have a milchig shabbes noon?

Peanut2

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:14 am
I'm vegetarian so we do dairy often. But lots of meat eaters I know make an occasional milchig meal.

Lots of people make milchigs when we go to them for meals. It's an opportunity for quiche and lasagna. My husband gets annoyed though because he likes eating meat on Shabbos, and sometimes everyone will make milky when we come so if we are going out a lot for meals or visiting he can end up with milchigs after milchigs...

mille

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:36 am
We do dairy for shabbat often. I don't really intentionally make meat or fish in shabbat menus, I make whatever I want to make, and sometimes it's dairy. Dairy shabbat meals are awesome!

suzyq

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:43 am
We have milchig meals for Shabbos all the time - we all love it. This Shabbos, we are totally having the leftovers from Shavuos! I'm very excited about it!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:47 am
suzyq wrote:
We have milchig meals for Shabbos all the time - we all love it. This Shabbos, we are totally having the leftovers from Shavuos! I'm very excited about it!

Awesome!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one. My husband loves milchigs and is also so excited to have leftovers from shavuos!!!!

baba

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 12:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Don't Dutch have a milchig shabbes noon?

Yep.
I used to but felt it was too complicated cooking fleisgig and milchig on Fridays.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 1:04 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Shabbos afternoon is so long, why don't you just serve the leftovers for seuda shlishit? There should be plenty of time between lunch and then to be able to eat milchigs.

Depends when you eat. In my community most people start the lunch meal at 2:00-2:30, so we are almost never milchig till after Shabbos ends.

little_mage

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 1:14 pm
We almost always make dairy for shabbos. Our oven is dairy, so it really limits our options when we use meat.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 3:13 pm
Cant believe wat im reading..... shabbos its an extra mitzvah to eat basar!!!! To me it seems completely ridiculous!!!!!!! shock

Barbara

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
Cant believe wat im reading..... shabbos its an extra mitzvah to eat basar!!!! To me it seems completely ridiculous!!!!!!! shock

To the best of my knowledge, my community does not hold that there is any obligation to eat meat on Shabbat. Nevertheless, I would refrain from referring to the minhag of another community as "ridiculous." Unless, of course, their minhag is to eat dairy only while upside down, or to eschew the use of apostrophes and the letter "h." Now, that would be ridiculous.

mille

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:

It's not an "extra mitzvah". It's a minhag.

Petra

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 8:42 pm
Why not? It's perfectly acceptable.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Jun 07 2014, 2:54 pm
We do this all the time. We have a dairy meal at least every other week. In the summer almost every week. But we don't usually have left overs.

bubbebia

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 12:53 am
In the summer I often make a milchig lunch. The thought of a heavy meat meal in the heat makes my skin crawl. And Amother, just because the idea doesn't float your boat doesn't mean the rest of us feel the same. There is room in this world for lots of different points of view.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions