Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Bais shaindel lakewood
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 1:36 pm
We are moving to lakewood, and my daughter is going to bais shaindel. We know nothing about it really. Anyone have anything to share? tia

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 3:18 pm
I went there and sadly have not a good word to say.
Good luck

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 4:29 pm
My daughter has friends who go there and are happy. It's very yeshivish - great for many types, and not a good match for others. I thought it was one of the harder schools to get into because it takes all girls from it's partner elementary school.

monseychick

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 4:52 pm
Are you a thousand percent you are accepted

Do you have that in writing , notarized

Even then, there is no guarantee you wont get bounced if someone offers more money

Once you are in, your daughter will get great indoctrination and social standing if thatis what you are looking for

If you want the best education, in LK and all the more so, Secular studies...

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 5:26 pm
monseychick wrote:

Even then, there is no guarantee you wont get bounced if someone offers more money

Once you are in, your daughter will get great indoctrination and social standing if thatis what you are looking for

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

You need to get the acceptance in writing.

I moved to lakewood in the middle of a school year. They gave me a hard time but then told me, shes accepted I could go buy her uniforms. She could start right after pesach. (this was 3 days before pesach vacation). I got a call the last day before vacation, to come down with my daughter. When I got there, I was told-the fact that you were called down doesnt necessarily mean that your daughter is accepted. I said mrs. (I forget her name now) said she was accepted and I should buy her uniforms. this person told me we'll have to see. I was in tears. Although, she got accepted a couple of days after pesach, I cannot begin to tell you what they put us through

debsey

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:08 pm
It's a great school if you are quite yeshivishe. If you are not, don't subject her and the school to a lot of tzarus - look elsewhere.
And an acceptance in lakewood is worth the paper it is written on.
Oh,, it's a verbal guarantee, you say?
good luck.......

June

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 2:18 pm
[quote of removed post removed. -merelyme, as mod]

ALL the schools in Lakewood cater to the same cloned BY girl.

From personal experience, Bais Shaindel is a great school if you are a very stable, center-of-the-box type of girl. If you are even slightly out of the box, you need to keep a very low profile in order to not be labeled a bad girl. Sad truth - if you are different, even in a good way, they don't know how to handle you.

OP, hatzlacha with your daughter, and tell her to keep under the radar. It's sad, but it's the best way to get through unscathed.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 2:31 pm
June wrote:
ALL the schools in Lakewood cater to the same cloned BY girl.

From personal experience, Bais Shaindel is a great school if you are a very stable, center-of-the-box type of girl. If you are even slightly out of the box, you need to keep a very low profile in order to not be labeled a bad girl. Sad truth - if you are different, even in a good way, they don't know how to handle you.

OP, hatzlacha with your daughter, and tell her to keep under the radar. It's sad, but it's the best way to get through unscathed.

There are some better choices in Lakewood for girls who need something a little more out of the box.

[reference to deleted post removed. -merelyme, as mod]

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 3:06 pm
I heard that Bais Shaindel has a nice mix. I dont know anything about their academics. I think they are a little more laid back in their learning. But again, Im not sure.
I heard they have extra curricular activites also, Does anyone know about this?

Hatzlacha

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 3:11 pm
The academic level is not as high as BY of LKWD, BBY or OROS. The girls seem to be enjoy the laid back attitude in that aspect. There is a nice mix of girls usually.

zohar

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:
The academic level is not as high as BY of LKWD, BBY or OROS. The girls seem to be enjoy the laid back attitude in that aspect. There is a nice mix of girls usually.

I went to B.K. Also has/had a reputation that it is not as academic. However, I found that the curriculum in all the schools are quite similar, but the pressure to get good marks are different. I remember telling a friend from b.y. that we ahead a hard dikduk test and most of the class did very poorly. She asked me how I knew because in her class, if you got less than a 90-95 you would never share that info! There are pros and cons to each approach, but I really am happy I went to a school that was more relaxed.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 6:35 pm
monseychick wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter :rolling

I know from your previous posts, Monseychik, that you have a chip on your shoulder. You do not have the right to ruin someone else's life because of it.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 7:45 pm
DD attended Bais Shaindel (I have other daughters who went to other HS's in Lkwd). I found them very understanding when there was something going on in the family etc, where I was pretty sure the other schools would have insisted on her making up the work with very little leeway.

I felt that the hanhollah does everything according to 'darchei noam' - pleasantly. E.g., instead of giving detentions left and right for skipping on Friday, they wisely made sure to have the most amazing teachers & subjects on Friday so girls would not want to miss.

Instead of patrolling the halls during finals and yelling at girls for being there, they provided snacks in the lunchroom to encourage girls to go there when they finished a test.

Perhaps my other daughters came out with more knowledge, but I have no complaints.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 7:49 pm
Im not in the h.s scene yet, but have been thinking of bais shaindel gfor my daughter. So my question is, my daughter related better to the younger, trendier , cool teachers. lol
Are all the teachers in bais shaindel older? I have heard they have the same teachers for such a long time. Is this true?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
Im not in the h.s scene yet, but have been thinking of bais shaindel gfor my daughter. So my question is, my daughter related better to the younger, trendier , cool teachers. lol
Are all the teachers in bais shaindel older? I have heard they have the same teachers for such a long time. Is this true?

I'm pretty sure there's NO hs in Lakewood with younger, cool, trendier teacher. Including bais shaindel. But they might have 1 or 2 of these teachers, perhaps mechaneches types.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 10:13 am
My daughter went to Bais Shaindel. I will admit that we are very yeshivishe. We were very happy there. She is not blessed as the brightest girl and for me the school was perfect. Getting amazing marks was not stressed. She also got a lot of very good haskafas from her teachers.

When you speak about young teachers, I wonder what you mean? A teacher who is only a couple of years older than the students will have a hard time controlling the class. The teachers I consider young are probably in their late 30s. But that tell's you something about my age as well.

There's a lot of school spirit with plays, Chanuka mesibas, things like that.

I was very happy we sent there.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 10:24 am
From personal experience I will say that the school is a good school but for the very yeshivish type ONLY!
If you are a bit different, trendy, stylish, cool you will suffer terribly.
The hanhola is very old fashioned with NO understanding of todays world and they have kicked girls out on to the street before finding them a more suitable place. These poor children have been terribly rejected by their frum school and are now suffering, they are holding onto life by a thin thread.
These girls could have flourished in a more open minded environment and could have been mothers today and instead they are out with boys, turn to drugs and are so lost.
They come from amazing families but the rejection was unbearable!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 10:41 am
Wow. I'm really surprised at the bitter tone in some of the posts.

My DD doesn't attend BS but from the research I did when my DD was in 7-8th grade and from what I see around town.....

I get the impression others has stated, that the majority BS girls are very mainstream Yeshivish/BY type. I was told by some, that BS has the greatest diversity though...they do have students from right to left. Those to the left feel like they are on the fringe, though.

The chinuch and curriculum is of the sheltered variety. An acquaintance of mine who taught there told me that the material was very, very proofread. The dress code is very uniform - you can't wear a colorful pair of shoes, for example, and cross-body messenger bags are not allowed.

I've also heard that the staff is very, very warm and caring. Heard this from several students, even non-conformists.

A lovely bunch of girls, if they are your DD's type she can do very well there. For my DD's, we needed something with a bit more breathing space.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:58 am
I went to Bais Shaindel for 3 years and I left because I couldn't stand it any more! They were constantly coming up with ridiculous rules like "earrings can't be longer than a dime" (and the teachers would walk around measuring), only one bracelet per wrist, shoes could only be blue or black..I found it very stifling. Not to mention the teachers were very narrow minded and always preached things like kollel is the only way to go, college is terrible. I wasn't a bad kid, I just could't stand the way they looked down upon any girl that didn't fit their exact mold. I would stay far away from that place!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 2:42 pm
zohar wrote:
I went to B.K. Also has/had a reputation that it is not as academic. However, I found that the curriculum in all the schools are quite similar, but the pressure to get good marks are different. I remember telling a friend from b.y. that we ahead a hard dikduk test and most of the class did very poorly. She asked me how I knew because in her class, if you got less than a 90-95 you would never share that info! There are pros and cons to each approach, but I really am happy I went to a school that was more relaxed.

This is soooo true. I have worked with students from several schools including BY and Bais Shaindel. If you examine their curriculum and workload it is nearly identical. Much of the hype regarding the academic level is really just due to how they "market" themselves. In BY they talk a lot about demanding a lot and create a culture of pressure to succeed. In Bais SHaindel they talk a lot about other things that are important besides for grades, while still offering plenty in terms of academics for those who want it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating