Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
ISO meaningful verse to put on art/plaque

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:05 pm
My therapist may be transferring to a different assignment. This is going to be difficult for me but probably a good thing, I like her a lot and she has been good for me but I could probably benefit from someone a bit more driven to take me to the next level. Decision will be made next week and in any case it would be a good time for a gift because it's our one-year anniversary from when we first met. Besides being a good, kind therapist, she also went out of her way a few times such as being flexible about our ending time when I was seriously distressed, helping me with contacts when I was looking for a job, things like that. And I see her in a clinic, not paid privately, so I would like to give her a little something on my own. I don't have much money to spare and she knows this very well so instead of either getting her something cheap or making her feel bad that I spent money, I had this idea to make her a piece of art that she can hang in her home or office (I can be pretty artistic; not sure where I'm finding the time within a week but will come up with something) which would be a nice gift but not monetarily expensive, I already own my art supplies.

Can you please help out with sayings or verses from Tehillim or something (therapist is frum) that could be meaningful and appropriate in this situation? Nothing too therapisty, I want something tasteful that she can use as an independent gift, not a stupid "World's best therapist" chotchka.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:20 pm
This sort of thing? Or different?

Rabbi [Judah HaNassi]* would say: Which is the right path for man to choose for himself? Whatever is harmonious for the one who does it, and harmonious for mankind
or

[Rabbi Yochanan] said to them: Go and see which is the best trait for a person to acquire. Said Rabbi Eliezer: A good eye. Said Rabbi Joshua: A good friend. Said Rabbi Yossei: A good neighbor. Said Rabbi Shimon: To see what is born [out of ones actions]. Said Rabbi Elazar: A good heart. Said He to them: I prefer the words of Elazar the son of Arach to yours, for his words include all of yours.

Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:21 pm
there is a "tefila lifnei mayan yiutz"-a therapist's prayer. maybe you could get a printout and decorate it/ write it out in calligraphy? My mother had a friend who was an artist, who did the hadlakas neiros techina in beautiful calligraphy, with a floral border. It's 20 years on, and my mother still uses it.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 1:23 pm
Snowdrop wrote:
there is a "tefila lifnei mayan yiutz"-a therapist's prayer. maybe you could get a printout and decorate it/ write it out in calligraphy? My mother had a friend who was an artist, who did the hadlakas neiros techina in beautiful calligraphy, with a floral border. It's 20 years on, and my mother still uses it.

Any leads where I could find this? Never heard of it before. Would probably be longer to write than just a verse but it's something to think about!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
This sort of thing? Or different?

Rabbi [Judah HaNassi]* would say: Which is the right path for man to choose for himself? Whatever is harmonious for the one who does it, and harmonious for mankind
or

[Rabbi Yochanan] said to them: Go and see which is the best trait for a person to acquire. Said Rabbi Eliezer: A good eye. Said Rabbi Joshua: A good friend. Said Rabbi Yossei: A good neighbor. Said Rabbi Shimon: To see what is born [out of ones actions]. Said Rabbi Elazar: A good heart. Said He to them: I prefer the words of Elazar the son of Arach to yours, for his words include all of yours.

I was looking for something more inspirational, this sounds more like mussar to me... but thanks

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 3:11 pm
You're welcome! I wasn't sure that was exactly what you were after, and the therapist's prayer sounds pefect!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics